A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:31:37 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hollywood Video Closes  (Read 17150 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2010, 06:57:26 pm »

You can rent blu-rays on monday at Reasors for like $2 and "back them up"

Backup != Lower Quality

You do have to have a blu-ray burner though to get a true "back up". 
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2010, 07:26:30 pm »

You do have to have a blu-ray burner though to get a true "back up".  

No, just a bluray reader. With 1TB hard drives at $100 or less, little reason to put it BACK onto optical media.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2010, 07:35:26 pm »

No, just a bluray reader. With 1TB hard drives at $100 or less, little reason to put it BACK onto optical media.

That is true as well, unless you only have one computer, and don't feel like lugging it around to every room when you want to watch a show there.  Granted I don't have that problem, but I'm sure someone out there is computer poor.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2010, 09:48:21 pm »

A person can only fit so many hard drives in one computer!

Besides, backups will continue to be subpar until I either get 96KHz multichannel PCM or bitstreaming of lossless codecs out of my HTPC, which I fear will require a new video card. Sad

One of these days I'm going to have to rewire the house and set up an openfiler box. Surely 16TB would be enough. It would only cost $1500 or so. Maybe a little more since I'd have to buy two 10GigE cards. (8 drives should do an aggregate total of around 640MBytes/sec on sequential reads. That's a little over 5Gbit/sec)

I was just pricing out something similar, although smaller in raw size, for a client earlier today.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2010, 10:02:05 pm »

That is true as well, unless you only have one computer, and don't feel like lugging it around to every room when you want to watch a show there.  Granted I don't have that problem, but I'm sure someone out there is computer poor.

Get one of these:

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=735

Then one of these:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817153066

Problem solved.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2010, 05:54:17 am »

A person can only fit so many hard drives in one computer!

Besides, backups will continue to be subpar until I either get 96KHz multichannel PCM or bitstreaming of lossless codecs out of my HTPC, which I fear will require a new video card. Sad

One of these days I'm going to have to rewire the house and set up an openfiler box. Surely 16TB would be enough. It would only cost $1500 or so. Maybe a little more since I'd have to buy two 10GigE cards. (8 drives should do an aggregate total of around 640MBytes/sec on sequential reads. That's a little over 5Gbit/sec)

I was just pricing out something similar, although smaller in raw size, for a client earlier today.

16 should be enough for a home user. I'm all for bigger pipes but I think going 10GigE is a bit overkill. I think the 180TB system we got in a few weeks ago allows us to use 15x 1Gb copper connections or 2Gb fiber.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 12, 2010, 07:15:30 am »

I think the 180TB system we got in a few weeks ago allows us to use 15x 1Gb copper connections or 2Gb fiber.
Now that is a fair amount of storage.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2010, 07:35:31 am »

Now that is a fair amount of storage.

It's a fair amount of "holy crap, that's heavy" too.
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2010, 08:14:18 am »

Head Busters will be next....

Cats Cats Cats
City Father

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2010, 08:18:11 am »

Head Busters will be next....

They killed their business when they did the blockbuster online, return your movie and rent a new one in store.  They let all the freebies from online take all of their new releases.  It was pretty stupid.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2010, 09:10:27 am »

[youtube]3TrPwOrf4sM[/youtube]

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2010, 11:56:18 am »

It's a fair amount of "holy crap, that's heavy" too.
Yeah, I was lifting a server blessed only with 8 drives the other day and I thought it was kinda heavy. I'm used to carrying around my laptop, or at worst some $400 econobox computer that weighs nothing. It's easy to forget that hard disks are very dense.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2013, 02:42:10 pm »

Blockbuster Officially Killing Off Remaining Stores And DVDs By Mail

http://consumerist.com/2013/11/06/blockbuster-officially-killing-off-remaining-stores-and-dvds-by-mail/
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2013, 02:44:02 pm »

Awww...
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2013, 02:50:07 pm »

Pages: 1 [2] 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org