A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 09:02:51 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware Of Dog  (Read 156987 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #75 on: March 27, 2011, 12:46:28 pm »

Interesting section from your source.

When it comes to "I needs to get me a mean dog for protection.", I wonder how many such ignorant people would choose something like a toy poodle, a Lab, the Pomeranian mentioned above, or any dog that is not menacing by its visual appearance alone.  It probably skews the statistics.
Oh, I know the site I posted is skewed, was just simply posting it as a counter to the one skewed the other direction.  Something I have figured out is when you take two sources at polar ends of a subject that you will likely find the truth falls somewhere in between with a mix from both.  The problem is figuring out what parts of each represents reality instead of the picture they wish to portray.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #76 on: March 27, 2011, 12:49:52 pm »

That department gave it's blessings to an officer holding the dog while another shot it with a Taser, so it may be a matter of policy, or the department atmosphere than a choice made by a "bad apple".
Proper training would fall under policy as well.  It seems to me that there is a problem with the situation from top to bottom.  So the question is, how do you get it changed when it is so engrained?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: March 27, 2011, 01:00:31 pm »

Oh, I know the site I posted is skewed, was just simply posting it as a counter to the one skewed the other direction.  

I was referring more to the fact that the statistics are skewed (in addition to both our sites) since the size and reputation of the dog make the reputation self-perpetuating. 

Looks like we both jumped with a bungee cord.   Cheesy

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #78 on: March 27, 2011, 01:27:54 pm »

I was referring more to the fact that the statistics are skewed (in addition to both our sites) since the size and reputation of the dog make the reputation self-perpetuating. 

Looks like we both jumped with a bungee cord.   Cheesy
That was me hollering over my shoulder as I went off
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: March 27, 2011, 01:58:18 pm »

That was me hollering over my shoulder as I went off

Pretty deep canyon.  I'm still listening for the "thud" ahead of me.   Grin

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #80 on: March 27, 2011, 02:04:32 pm »

Pretty deep canyon.  I'm still listening for the "thud" ahead of me.   Grin
parachute.  Don't leave the ground without one.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #81 on: May 18, 2011, 10:01:56 am »

The double-standards and incompetence are just stunning:

http://www.fox23.com/news/local/story/Woman-Could-Be-Charged-After-Killing-Vicious-Dog/OeHGPHc2l0unDz3-FlWYkg.cspx

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: June 21, 2011, 10:41:57 pm »

After they lost their home in a tornado, a dog catcher used a shotgun to kill their dogs:

NEWCASTLE, Oklahoma -- Despite the release of a police report, a Newcastle couple says they still have questions about what led up to the deadly shooting of their two dogs.

Bryan and April Stout put their dogs, Snuggles and Jack, with friends while they tried to get back on their feet after their home was destroyed in the May 24th tornado. According to a police report, the dogs escaped their kennel.

Animal Control Officer Tim Claypool lost his footing and says the dogs surrounded him. He says he kept them at bay with pepper spray and a catch pole. He called dispatch and requested a police officer be sent to his location.

Claypool waited until Newcastle police officer Chris Holden arrived to tranquilize one of the dogs, but says after 15 minutes the drug did not take effect.

He states in the report, he had to make a decision for the safety of the citizens because they were near a busy barber shop and farmer's market. Animal Control Officer Claypool says Newcastle Police Chief Gary Norman gave him authorization to use Officer Holden's 12 gauge shotgun to shoot both dogs.

"He acted within the scope of his employment as in the realm of his training that he's been given," Chief Norman said.

The report does not say the dogs attacked anyone.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
kylieosu
Civic Leader

« Reply #83 on: June 22, 2011, 07:35:29 am »

After they lost their home in a tornado, a dog catcher used a shotgun to kill their dogs:

NEWCASTLE, Oklahoma -- Despite the release of a police report, a Newcastle couple says they still have questions about what led up to the deadly shooting of their two dogs.

Bryan and April Stout put their dogs, Snuggles and Jack, with friends while they tried to get back on their feet after their home was destroyed in the May 24th tornado. According to a police report, the dogs escaped their kennel.

Animal Control Officer Tim Claypool lost his footing and says the dogs surrounded him. He says he kept them at bay with pepper spray and a catch pole. He called dispatch and requested a police officer be sent to his location.

Claypool waited until Newcastle police officer Chris Holden arrived to tranquilize one of the dogs, but says after 15 minutes the drug did not take effect.

He states in the report, he had to make a decision for the safety of the citizens because they were near a busy barber shop and farmer's market. Animal Control Officer Claypool says Newcastle Police Chief Gary Norman gave him authorization to use Officer Holden's 12 gauge shotgun to shoot both dogs.

"He acted within the scope of his employment as in the realm of his training that he's been given," Chief Norman said.

The report does not say the dogs attacked anyone.

Cry This is awful.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #84 on: June 22, 2011, 09:19:17 am »

Sad story, but the dogs apparently had this guy pinned for what sounds like 30 minutes and more humane methods to deal with the threat (traquilizers) failed.  What were they left to do?  Get attacked or worse yet, wait till the dogs got bored and decided to terrorize a four year old child?

Patric, are you implying they should not have done anything until the dogs attacked someone?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #85 on: June 22, 2011, 11:17:04 am »

Sad story, but the dogs apparently had this guy pinned for what sounds like 30 minutes and more humane methods to deal with the threat (traquilizers) failed.  What were they left to do?  Get attacked or worse yet, wait till the dogs got bored and decided to terrorize a four year old child?

They had the dog catcher at their mercy -- until someone suggested he use his tranquilizer.
The catching pole can be used for more than just poking -- that's what the loop on the other end is for.
It was much safer, of course to, use a shotgun near a crowded area than to allow a dog to roam free...
Maybe he was actually trained as a cat catcher, or he was something related to cat...

Teatownclown
City Father

Put the "fun" back into dysfunctional, Tulsa!

« Reply #86 on: June 22, 2011, 01:10:39 pm »

Related....Rabid Dog Briefly Mistaken for Tea Party Candidate
Receives Standing Ovation at Missouri Rally

http://www.borowitzreport.com/2010/09/06/rabid-dog-briefly-mistaken-for-tea-party-candidate/

"JEFFERSON CITY, MO (The Borowitz Report) – A rabid Doberman Pinscher jumped on stage at a Tea Party rally in Missouri on Labor Day and barked at the crowd for nearly twenty minutes before people realized he was not a candidate.

The dog, later identified by its owner as “Mister Buster,” held the crowd spellbound as he barked, growled, and frothed at the mouth, eventually receiving a standing ovation for his exertions.

Gwendolene Thomason, 42, a Tea Party supporter from Jefferson City, was one of the hundreds on hand who were convinced that the Doberman was a Tea Party candidate until he was outed as a dog.

“I liked what he had to say,” she said.  ”He reminded me of Glenn Beck, only furrier.”

The Doberman’s canine identity finally became clear when he lunged at a man in the front row and wrested a hamburger from his right hand, taking two of the man’s fingers with it.

While the discovery that Mister Buster was not a Tea Party candidate disappointed many in attendance, Ms. Thomason held out hope that, dog or no, he might consider running for office at some point.

“I liked the way he bit off that guy’s hand, and the way he did his business in the middle of the stage,” she said.  ”We need more of that in Washington.”

Grin
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: June 22, 2011, 01:26:21 pm »

Well played, TTAC!  Thanks for the laugh!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2012, 08:34:23 pm »

Loyal to the end -- dog killed guarding it's owner hit by a car.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2012, 08:38:38 pm »

Loyal to the end -- dog killed guarding it's owner hit by a car.

As much as I hate to see a dog shot, I think the police did the right thing.  I can only hope that if something happens to my mom with our German Shepherd with her that "Danny" will let someone help her.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org