A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:44 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware Of Dog  (Read 157003 times)
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« on: May 04, 2010, 12:50:54 pm »

...means stay out of the territory a dog by nature will defend.

The responding officer said as he was approaching the house, a pit bull charged at him. Investigators say the officer pulled out his gun and fired multiple rounds at the dog. Police say it appears one of the bullets ricocheted off an unknown object and struck the dog's owner who was standing nearby.

Just last month, a similar incident happened in the 2700 block of S.W. 30th Street.
In that case, police were responding to a burglary call when a vicious dog charged at the responding officers. Investigators say one of the officers pulled out his weapon and fired one shot at the dog. The bullet missed the dog, ricocheted and hit the other officer in the leg.

Not much has changed since...

A federal lawsuit filed against the city of Bixby by a couple whose golden retriever was shot by a police officer last June has been settled, attorneys for both sides said Monday.

John and Cathy Benzinger alleged in the Feb. 14 lawsuit that the city failed to train its police officers adequately to handle incidents in which a dog is confronted on its owner's property.

The complaint also named Police Chief Anthony Stephens and the former officer, Cory Forister, as defendants.

Forister shot the Benzingers' dog, Fluppy, on June 5 while responding to a burglar alarm at their home. Forister claimed that he was menaced by the dog, which was tethered in the back yard.

An internal investigation found no criminal wrongdoing on Forister's part, but it found that he failed to use other options before resorting to lethal force.

(the plaintiff's attorney) said the Benzingers are pleased that new officers will not be given "a badge and a gun with no training on what to do when a dog barks at them."

Forister was fired last summer after he was accused of making an obscene gesture while being filmed by television news crews while he was taking the class.

* cforister2004.jpg (5.51 KB - downloaded 1210 times.)
« Last Edit: May 04, 2010, 12:55:27 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 01:01:49 pm »

You know how utility workers protect themselves from dogs? An umbrella.

not kidding

http://www.bite-terminator.com/order.html
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 01:07:03 pm »

not kidding

http://www.bite-terminator.com/order.html

I had completely forgotten about that.  I did a summer job of reading meters for ONG.  Definatly causes a problem when there are mean dogs out there.  I never carried the umbrella, but I know some who did.  I just learned how to go over a six foot fence real fast
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 05:11:20 pm »

During the 2007 ice storm, PSO took care of dogs in the back yard by driving on by.  While I couldn't expect them to give an exact time of arrival, I did expect they could knock on the door to make sure the dogs were inside.  I was told on the phone that after the crew showed up, they couldn't waste the time to knock on the door.  They could take the time to drive here and then leave without doing anything.

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:59:28 pm »

Ah, the Marry Poppins attack protocol.  Insidious.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 01:20:45 am »

During the 2007 ice storm, PSO took care of dogs in the back yard by driving on by.  While I couldn't expect them to give an exact time of arrival, I did expect they could knock on the door to make sure the dogs were inside.  I was told on the phone that after the crew showed up, they couldn't waste the time to knock on the door.  They could take the time to drive here and then leave without doing anything.

During the 2007 ice storm, they were going house to house, one after another.  I doubt the people on the field were given a list along their route of everyone's contact numbers.  Even if they were (which is wishful thinking), your phone number on file with the power company may be your home # or cell # while you are currently in hearing range of the opposite.  What do you expect?

Workers' safety is much more important than your own personal convenience or Fido.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 01:23:13 am »

In the case of an officer responding to an emergency or threat call, they cannot simply say "This looks like a dog may attack me" and turn around and leave (and/or go on a wild goose chase to establish contact with the dogs owners) - Time is a factor.  If you call the cops and say someone is about to kick your door down and rape you, they may have to open fire on Fido.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 07:02:07 am »

During the 2007 ice storm, they were going house to house, one after another.  I doubt the people on the field were given a list along their route of everyone's contact numbers.  Even if they were (which is wishful thinking), your phone number on file with the power company may be your home # or cell # while you are currently in hearing range of the opposite.  What do you expect?

Workers' safety is much more important than your own personal convenience or Fido.

When I called, the time of going house to house had passed, if indeed they ever did that in our neighborhood.  I agree that the workers safety is important which is why I would be sure to put the dogs inside the house when the workers are present.  I cannot keep the dogs inside 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.  They need to relieve themselves occasionally.  When the workers are specifically responding to a call from me and they take the time to drive to our neighborhood in response to my call, I expect them to knock on the door to make sure the dogs are inside rather than drive on.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 07:07:28 am »

In the case of an officer responding to an emergency or threat call, they cannot simply say "This looks like a dog may attack me" and turn around and leave (and/or go on a wild goose chase to establish contact with the dogs owners) - Time is a factor.  If you call the cops and say someone is about to kick your door down and rape you, they may have to open fire on Fido.

Not all of the pet dog shootings in recent history have been in response to "If you call the cops and say someone is about to kick your door down and rape you". 

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010, 08:32:22 am »

Not all of the pet dog shootings in recent history have been in response to "If you call the cops and say someone is about to kick your door down and rape you". 

I never knew criminals announced their intentions other than in superhero movies.
"Hey, open up, I want to rape you. If you don't open up, I'll kick your door down and the cops can't stop me because they will be scared of your dog."
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010, 11:26:22 am »

I never knew criminals announced their intentions other than in superhero movies.
"Hey, open up, I want to rape you. If you don't open up, I'll kick your door down and the cops can't stop me because they will be scared of your dog."

Are you related to the Bixby cop that shot a tied up Golden Retreiver?

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010, 11:39:33 am »

"Hey, open up, I want to rape you.

That's just wrong...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010, 01:34:26 pm »

You think the police response would be quicker if you told that to dispatch? Cheesy

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010, 01:53:34 pm »

How bout role reversal. Criminal shoots K-9 dog set loose on him.
Total different set of circumstances and charges. It's still a dead dog.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2010, 12:15:42 pm »

How bout role reversal. Criminal shoots K-9 dog set loose on him.
Total different set of circumstances and charges. It's still a dead dog.

A citizen fending off an attacking K9 is considered assault on a police officer.
A police officer shooting at a dog tied up is...

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 12   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org