A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 04:22:44 am
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sand Springs Microbrewery  (Read 28074 times)
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2010, 07:19:40 pm »

My wife heard from a SS cop today that this has already died. Not surprised at all. This town has no development activity of any kind beyond IHOP and Billy Sims.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2010, 08:42:16 pm »

That is too bad, this sounded cool.  What makes Owasso and Bixby so much more attractive than Sand Springs to new development?  Sand Springs is closer to downtown, close to Lake Keystone and Skiatook, and is surrounded by forested hills with the Arkansas River right next to it.  Many of the hilly neighborhoods have fantastic views.  It should have a lot more growth than it does.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2010, 08:54:57 pm »

That is too bad, this sounded cool.  What makes Owasso and Bixby so much more attractive than Sand Springs to new development?  Sand Springs is closer to downtown, close to Lake Keystone and Skiatook, and is surrounded by forested hills with the Arkansas River right next to it.  Many of the hilly neighborhoods have fantastic views.  It should have a lot more growth than it does.

I think a lot of those hills have rock just a bit under the dirt.  Not positive about that though.  Bixby is mostly river bottom dirt, easy to move around. Not sure about Owasso.

Ibanez
City Father

« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2010, 09:24:34 pm »

I think a lot of it has to do with the "leadership" in Sand Springs. They aren't exactly forward thinkers. In fact many of them still haven't embraced talkies.
waterboy
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2010, 11:17:34 am »

I was surprised to see that SS showed up with a healthy growth of population in the last numbers published. I think they were third in % growth behind Jenks & Owasso. I would have guessed flat.

It is still a pretty small town in mindset and blue collar in demographics. Perhaps the closing of the foundry will change all that. No doubt the countryside is the most attractive in the area.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: July 07, 2010, 11:31:39 am »

I was surprised to see that SS showed up with a healthy growth of population in the last numbers published. I think they were third in % growth behind Jenks & Owasso. I would have guessed flat.

It is still a pretty small town in mindset and blue collar in demographics. Perhaps the closing of the foundry will change all that. No doubt the countryside is the most attractive in the area.

Without a doubt.  I love riding in the area.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: November 08, 2010, 08:14:46 pm »

The project is back on...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20101108_298_0_SANDSP56558

Power is nothing till you use it.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2010, 10:05:19 am »

As I understand it:

If you brew beer, you cannot sell beer on site > 3.2

And all intoxicating beverages (= over 3.2) have to be sold from the manufacturer, to a wholesaler, to a distributer, and them to a retailer/license holder.  So to get the beer from a brewer to a brewpub next door they have to ship it off site, sell it to the wholesaler, then the distributer, then buy their own beer back at a mark up and have it shipped back to them.

For your safety (in no way because of blue laws or lobbiest for irrelevant industries).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2010, 03:37:16 pm »

As I understand it:

If you brew beer, you cannot sell beer on site > 3.2

And all intoxicating beverages (= over 3.2) have to be sold from the manufacturer, to a wholesaler, to a distributer, and them to a retailer/license holder.  So to get the beer from a brewer to a brewpub next door they have to ship it off site, sell it to the wholesaler, then the distributer, then buy their own beer back at a mark up and have it shipped back to them.

For your safety (in no way because of blue laws or lobbiest for irrelevant industries).

Looks like it will be like Coach's brewery in Norman.  3.2 beer brewed and sold onsite. 

Wish Marshall's could be a brewpub, but wouldn't want to see it 3.2.  A larger brewery with tours would be cool though. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: November 10, 2010, 12:23:02 pm »

Cool, there's such a shortage of event centers in the area...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #40 on: November 10, 2010, 01:54:49 pm »

Really need to change these damned laws about booze.

I will most likely skip this place out of principle.  If I can buy it in a QT then it's not really beer.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #41 on: November 10, 2010, 02:07:17 pm »

Really need to change these damned laws about booze.

I will most likely skip this place out of principle.  If I can buy it in a QT then it's not really beer.

We should start a petition to get the liquor law changes on the ballot.  With SQ 750 passing, only a little over 80,000 signatures are required.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: November 10, 2010, 02:34:33 pm »

We should start a petition to get the liquor law changes on the ballot.  With SQ 750 passing, only a little over 80,000 signatures are required.

Will there be a committee involved? 

Not to be a negative Nelly but it seems anytime there's a committee, we get the 10" record where the sun don't shine.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #43 on: November 10, 2010, 02:37:52 pm »

Will there be a committee involved? 

Not to be a negative Nelly but it seems anytime there's a committee, we get the 10" record where the sun don't shine.

Doesn't matter anyhow the mob er, I mean the liquor lobby won't let this happen with all their slush funds and contributions to law makers efforts to protect us from ourselves.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #44 on: November 10, 2010, 03:25:19 pm »

Doesn't matter anyhow the mob er, I mean the liquor lobby won't let this happen with all their slush funds and contributions to law makers efforts to protect us from ourselves.
I say it's worth a shot.  If someone could draft the petition, I'm sure we could get the signatures.  At least this way there would be less of a chance of it getting killed because some legislater tacked on some other insane revision to it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org