A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:56:00 am
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sand Springs Microbrewery  (Read 28131 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2010, 11:02:29 am »

I've been hearing the rumors about this place for a couple months. The rumor I heard also accompanied a possible 300 employees. At the time, I thought it was just a regular brewery, so 300 employees sounded like a lot (that puts it in the neighborhood of Boulevard Brewery). However, being a brewpub, the number doesn't sound as ridiculous as it once did. As a resident of SS, I'm excited about this development but very skeptical of the long term outlook.

I don't think the highest volume restaurants in Tulsa employ anywhere close to 300 people, do they?  That figure sounds horribly skewed unless they aren't giving anyone more than 10 hours a week.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2010, 01:54:28 pm »

If I understand the location correctly its right across from the big huge empty lot (I know future major development) so my guess is, who ever is behind this has major backing with financing for 5-10 years of operation or there plan is to produce lots of beer and and sell it in liquor stores as there main source of income. Either way they must (I hope or this will be short lived) long term backing. SS is a fairly short drive for me so I look forward to this being open.

Thank you,
Robert Town
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2010, 11:02:29 am »

cynical. The ones that I have tried there are.
1. Red Brick Ale
2. Copperhead Ale
3. 1 North Lager
4. Aught 7 IPA
And I like them in that order. Here is a link to their page and list.
http://www.bricktownbrewery.com/beer.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2010, 07:56:32 pm »

Took some pictures of what I think (I hope) is the brewery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/majdan/sets/72157623959811656/
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 29, 2010, 09:46:28 pm »

Took some pictures of what I think (I hope) is the brewery. http://www.flickr.com/photos/majdan/sets/72157623959811656/

I don't know Sand Springs well but that looks really big for just a brewpub.  Are they creating a full-fledged brewery? 

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2010, 10:13:45 pm »

Thanks, DolfanBob.  The names are interesting.  I would probably try the Aught 7 IPA to see if it has enough hops. 

cynical. The ones that I have tried there are.
1. Red Brick Ale
2. Copperhead Ale
3. 1 North Lager
4. Aught 7 IPA
And I like them in that order. Here is a link to their page and list.
http://www.bricktownbrewery.com/beer.html

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2010, 10:11:13 am »

Any update on this? I haven't seen much going on at the site. Still working its way through the Sand Springs government?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2010, 10:30:39 am »

I've done some digging and I hate to cast dispersions, but I really don't see this coming to fruition.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2010, 10:32:06 am »

I've done some digging and I hate to cast dispersions, but I really don't see this coming to fruition.

What?  It was in the Tulsa World though...
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2010, 10:36:15 am »

What?  It was in the Tulsa World though...

Let's just say that starting with the wacky figure of the number of people this was supposedly going to employ, the developer doesn't know s hit from apple butter when it comes to restaurants and breweries.  Either that or he borrowed the Metro Chamber's calculator.

I've caught quite a bit more back-draft on this and don't want to compromise my sources, let's just say it won't happen.  I think the capital requirements are also grossly underestimated much like they were on the new Blue Rose.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #25 on: June 25, 2010, 07:29:40 am »

Let's just say that starting with the wacky figure of the number of people this was supposedly going to employ, the developer doesn't know s hit from apple butter when it comes to restaurants and breweries.  Either that or he borrowed the Metro Chamber's calculator.

I've caught quite a bit more back-draft on this and don't want to compromise my sources, let's just say it won't happen.  I think the capital requirements are also grossly underestimated much like they were on the new Blue Rose.

Same thing I originally thought. I first heard 300 employees, but that a made a little bit more sense after the announcement it was going to be a brewpub. Still a high number off the bat nonetheless.
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #26 on: June 25, 2010, 07:33:16 am »

Same thing I originally thought. I first heard 300 employees, but that a made a little bit more sense after the announcement it was going to be a brewpub. Still a high number off the bat nonetheless.

A Brewpub only employs 2 or 3 people more than what a standard restaurant would.  There's a brewmaster, an assistant and maybe one other person to lug bags of grain. Maybe.

A huge successful brewpub at best might have 120-130 employees. 75 employees would be my guess for the average largish brewpub.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2010, 07:54:35 am »

A Brewpub only employs 2 or 3 people more than what a standard restaurant would.  There's a brewmaster, an assistant and maybe one other person to lug bags of grain. Maybe.

A huge successful brewpub at best might have 120-130 employees. 75 employees would be my guess for the average largish brewpub.

That would be one big-azz brew pub.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2010, 08:13:17 am »

That would be one big-azz brew pub.

Tulsa Brewing Company had well over 100 at it's height, if not even a little larger when it first opened. I don't think Cherry Street was ever that size, but then it didn't last at all either.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2010, 08:21:37 am »

Tulsa Brewing Company had well over 100 at it's height, if not even a little larger when it first opened. I don't think Cherry Street was ever that size, but then it didn't last at all either.

The TBC space wasn't all that large and at least when I've been there since it's been Lanna Thai, I don't think they've got nearly that many people on staff, maybe 20 at any given time which would lead me to think 50 to 60 total.

I'm curious how many employees a place like McNellie's has, anyone know?  It's been ages since I worked in the industry and Charlie Mitchell's was about the biggest I worked at and I considered that a small to medium restaurant and bar.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org