A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 07:42:43 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Sand Springs Microbrewery  (Read 28076 times)
SXSW
City Father

« on: April 27, 2010, 04:28:55 pm »

Interesting development proposed in downtown Sand Springs on Main.  Can we get one of these in downtown Tulsa?   Smiley

Former Sand Springs Power and Water to become microbrewery and restaurant

SAND SPRINGS -- The former Sand Springs Power and Water building about 10 minutes away from midtown Tulsa is on its way to becoming a restaurant and microbrewery. Spring Loaded Brewing Company LLC has agreed to buy the 30,000-square-foot building at 227 N. Main St., and the Sand Springs City Council approved the agreement Monday, according to a news release from the city.

The building, known as the Powerhouse, was a Public Service Co. of Oklahoma electrical substation until the 1990s and was then given to the city.

The company will pay $250,000 for the buildings, and also plans to buy two adjacent buildings. One is vacant, the other houses an MET Recycling depot.

“This is a significant project that gives a unique building that’s a part of our community’s heritage a dynamic future that’s at the heart of our goals for the area,” Sand Springs Economic Development Director Terry Walters said in the release. “The plans for this building make it a destination restaurant and entertainment venue in itself, and lend themselves well to future development of the Keystone Corridor and areas adjacent to the Arkansas River.”

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=326&articleid=20100427_11_0_SANDSP378536

cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2010, 05:24:03 pm »

Unless the law has changed, one thing that hampers brewpubs is the requirement that the beer be 3.2. I believe this is the reason Marshalls has no on-premises sales. Brew the beer and let someone else sell it.

Calling the Sand Springs project a "microbrewery" rather than a brewpub probably doesn't change things.

The setting sounds like a great idea. Sand Springs will benefit from having a nice brewpub. Coach's is successful in Norman and OKC but failed out by Woodland Hills.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2010, 06:22:57 pm »

It means I will be booted and have to find some other location for my recycling center. I don't really occupy the building, The city of Sand Springs just built me a padsite behind the building that will become a good parking lot for the new venture.

It sounds exciting. The location is just a few blocks from the river and downtown and is the perfect place for Sand Springs to begin to connect the two. The buildings are beautiful old brick and have unique character.

I have been moved before. The Sand Springs M.e.t. recycling depot used to be in the lot that became the McDonalds on the highway.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2010, 08:51:51 pm »

Anyone know who the owners of Springloaded are?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2010, 09:49:52 pm »

Unless the law has changed, one thing that hampers brewpubs is the requirement that the beer be 3.2. I believe this is the reason Marshalls has no on-premises sales. Brew the beer and let someone else sell it.

Calling the Sand Springs project a "microbrewery" rather than a brewpub probably doesn't change things.

The setting sounds like a great idea. Sand Springs will benefit from having a nice brewpub. Coach's is successful in Norman and OKC but failed out by Woodland Hills.

Sure would be nice to see brewpubs exempt from the 3.2 nonsense.  A Marshall's brewpub downtown would be awesome.  Even if they couldn't operate as a brewpub a Marshall's brewery with tours would be cool downtown. 

The Coaches Brewpub in Norman does well and supplies several of the local bars there with decent beer.  I believe a similar venture will do well in Sand Springs if it's run well.  I'll probably give it a try.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2010, 10:28:17 pm »

Sure would be nice to see brewpubs exempt from the 3.2 nonsense.  A Marshall's brewpub downtown would be awesome.  Even if they couldn't operate as a brewpub a Marshall's brewery with tours would be cool downtown. 

The Coaches Brewpub in Norman does well and supplies several of the local bars there with decent beer.  I believe a similar venture will do well in Sand Springs if it's run well.  I'll probably give it a try.

Of course, you could have a microbrewery downtown, and strategically place a pub directly across the street Cheesy
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2010, 10:34:21 pm »

Of course, you could have a microbrewery downtown, and strategically place a pub directly across the street Cheesy

I believe any strong beer still has to go through the distributors.  You may not be able to "drop ship" it across the street.  The customers don't need to know that though.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2010, 07:34:46 am »

Or on that empty lot next to McNellies, or the empty warehouse across the street... Wink

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2010, 08:06:03 am »

I'm not near as crazy about Coaches as I am Bricktown in OKC or River City in Wichita.  Bricktown has an amazing stout.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2010, 09:24:40 am »

It means I will be booted and have to find some other location for my recycling center. I don't really occupy the building, The city of Sand Springs just built me a padsite behind the building that will become a good parking lot for the new venture.

It sounds exciting. The location is just a few blocks from the river and downtown and is the perfect place for Sand Springs to begin to connect the two. The buildings are beautiful old brick and have unique character.

I have been moved before. The Sand Springs M.e.t. recycling depot used to be in the lot that became the McDonalds on the highway.

RM. I applaud your attitude about being moved. Some people would take it quite differently. You are to be commended.

Also Conan. I'm with you about the Bricktown Brewery. They have amazing beer and a lot of choices.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 09:27:05 am by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
cynical
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2010, 09:37:34 am »

I guess I need to check out Bricktown Brewery next time I'm in OKC.  I last tried it about 4 or 5 years ago and was unimpressed.  At least Coaches had a decent IPA.  It had flavor even if it was only 3.2.

What specific BB brews did you like?

RM. I applaud your attitude about being moved. Some people would take it quite differently. You are to be commended.

Also Conan. I'm with you about the Bricktown Brewery. They have amazing beer and a lot of choices.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2010, 09:41:08 am »

Moving a business is always hard and expensive. It also means my customers will have to find me.

But that center only exists because the citizens of Sand Springs want to have a recyling option. I am sure they will explain that to the new City Manager who starts next week. I just have to have faith that I will find a new location that will offer me free rent and put up with my ugly dumpsters.

I can fit a recycling center into many locations. That location is perfect for a new brewery and restaurant. It is what is best for Sand Springs.

Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2010, 10:34:59 am »

I've been hearing the rumors about this place for a couple months. The rumor I heard also accompanied a possible 300 employees. At the time, I thought it was just a regular brewery, so 300 employees sounded like a lot (that puts it in the neighborhood of Boulevard Brewery). However, being a brewpub, the number doesn't sound as ridiculous as it once did. As a resident of SS, I'm excited about this development but very skeptical of the long term outlook.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2010, 10:41:26 am »

Where exactly is this place?

Google maps shows an address north of the expressway, 227 N. Main, Sand Springs, OK

But the MET location I've been using in Sand Springs is on Morrow east of Main. Is this new brewery going in at that Morrow/Main intersection?

I wish them luck, but I'm very skeptical about the placement of this brewpub. Sand Springs is more of a cheap low-quality beer town, it always seemed like to me. Seems like the last suburb in which you'd want to locate a brewpub.

Completely off-topic, but RM, you need a location closer to downtown Tulsa. I feel like I've been to every MET depot in the metro area because none are ideal for downtown residents. We've got ample parking downtown, decrepit lots on every corner. Let's make one of them a MET depot. Even somewhere in the greater Utica Square/Brookside areas would be fine, just somewhere that doesn't require driving.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2010, 10:48:39 am by TheTed » Logged

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2010, 10:49:50 am »

Where exactly is this place?

Completely off-topic, but RM, you need a location closer to downtown Tulsa. I feel like I've been to every MET depot in the metro area because none are ideal for downtown residents. We've got ample parking downtown, decrepit lots on every corner. Let's make one of them a MET depot. Even somewhere in the greater Utica Square/Brookside areas would be fine, just somewhere that isn't so car-centric.

The northeast corner of Main and Morrow.

Yes. I agree I need a location near downtown. I also need one in Brookside, Woodland Hills Mall and further north Tulsa.

I just need free rent and new money. Each center loses a little money and I beg from somebody like Sand Springs to stay afloat.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org