A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 01:52:17 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "This bill is all about jobs"-Pelosi  (Read 4096 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: March 26, 2010, 08:21:05 am »

"This bill is all about jobs. In its life it will create 4 million jobs, 400,000 jobs almost immediately."

Let's play find the jobs, now that the bill has been published.

357 instances of tax.
12 new taxes on individuals.
198 penalties.
190 impositions of fees and requirements
83 audits
594 requirements on individuals and businesses

Ahoy!  I found some jobs in the bill.  On page 1021 the Secretary of Labor is to create a grant program for nurses.

Oh Crap!  The grant requires the employer to make "Contributions to a joint labor-management training fund which administers the program." 

Interesting also, the bill makes changes to hospital and physician formularies, and restricts the addition of new drugs without government approval.  So . . .the government now chooses (starting in 2012) what drugs a hospital or doctor can have.  Brilliant!  That gives the government control over the drug industry through the back door.  So the nearly 100,000 paramedical reps in the us will be looking for jobs in 2012, or perhaps they will just call on legislators rather than doctors.

Nice!

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2010, 08:45:19 am »

So further regulations could keep people from getting the best treatment possible for their case.  That's just wonderful.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2010, 09:36:19 am »

So further regulations could keep people from getting the best treatment possible for their case.  That's just wonderful.

They will receive acceptable care.

Limits have to be set, and there is an acceptable amount of sacrifice that must be assumed in order to extend benefits.

Leviquin may be the best medication to cure your infection, but erithromycin will work, it will just take a week longer, and cost half as much.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2010, 09:42:00 am »

Will it provide healthcare for those 4M new jobs?

All I know is that over the year this has been going on, stock price in my insurance company is up 50% and I've already been informed my rate will increase Jan 1.

Republicans are accused of giving too much to the rich.
Democrats are accused of giving too much to the poor.
Do we need a 3rd party who concentrates their time on helping people who have a job and pay their bills?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 10:03:49 am »

Will it provide healthcare for those 4M new jobs?

All I know is that over the year this has been going on, stock price in my insurance company is up 50% and I've already been informed my rate will increase Jan 1.

Republicans are accused of giving too much to the rich.
Democrats are accused of giving too much to the poor.
Do we need a 3rd party who concentrates their time on helping people who have a job and pay their bills?

There will be more increases before any regs take hold.  Many suspect premium hikes and rate hikes on services and treatment the last couple of years have been put in place to bolster prices to sustainable levels if the government succeeds in back-door price controls.  I honestly don't see any sort of policing happening in the long run with Congress though.  Medical and Pharma lobbies are going to be throwing more money at candidates than beads getting thrown to topless women at Mardi Gras.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 11:35:12 am »

Interesting also, the bill makes changes to hospital and physician formularies, and restricts the addition of new drugs without government approval.  So . . .the government now chooses (starting in 2012) what drugs a hospital or doctor can have.  Brilliant!  That gives the government control over the drug industry through the back door. 
You got a cite for either the required government approval or how it is that having a formulary even controls the drug industry.

Personally, I have yet to have health insurance that doesn't have a formulary. Does that mean that Aetna and Cigna control the drug companies? I'm sure they'd be pleased to know this.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2010, 01:07:57 pm »

You got a cite for either the required government approval or how it is that having a formulary even controls the drug industry.

Personally, I have yet to have health insurance that doesn't have a formulary. Does that mean that Aetna and Cigna control the drug companies? I'm sure they'd be pleased to know this.

Yes that would be the "Intelligent Assignment" Section.
SEC. 1205. INTELLIGENT ASSIGNMENT IN ENROLLMENT. Paragraph (A)

. . .And yes the insurance companies do control the drug companies, but each has a slightly different formulary and they compete somewhat to obtain the participation of doctors and hospitals.  Drugs would be far cheaper if they were forced to compete without the formulary restriction imposed by insurance companies.  Now the government intends on being the SINGLE entity in control of formulary decisions.  This eliminates any competition.

If I'm a pharmaceutical company, why would I strive to make a better antibiotic that works in 3 days with less side-effects, when I know that there's no money in it?  I suppose I could pour millions of dollars in R&D out of the goodness of my heart.  We are far more ambitious than noble. Wink

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2010, 02:45:28 pm »

If I'm a pharmaceutical company, why would I strive to make a better antibiotic that works in 3 days with less side-effects, when I know that there's no money in it?  I suppose I could pour millions of dollars in R&D out of the goodness of my heart.  We are far more ambitious than noble. Wink

If I'm a pharmaceutical company, why would I strive to make a better antibiotic if I know that only sick people will purchase what I make?  Why voluntarily reduce the window whereby people need my product?  
fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2010, 02:48:48 pm »

Hey! I have a novel idea! Raise taxes.
Oh, Right, We're either billing it to the kids or cutting essential services. Raising taxes is never on the table. Is it?

Take the tax code back to where it was before Reagan, remember? Back when our economy was working for US not against US?
And don't let the deficit pile up on future generations. Pay it now.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2010, 03:13:22 pm »

Hey! I have a novel idea! Raise taxes.
Oh, Right, We're either billing it to the kids or cutting essential services. Raising taxes is never on the table. Is it?

Take the tax code back to where it was before Reagan, remember? Back when our economy was working for US not against US?
And don't let the deficit pile up on future generations. Pay it now.

Great, let's tax dividends on the wealthy at say, 70% and raise cap gains to say 50%.  How do you like the sound of that?

fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2010, 03:19:51 pm »

Great, let's tax dividends on the wealthy at say, 70% and raise cap gains to say 50%.  How do you like the sound of that?

That's inconsistent with what I said...that is not where rates were under Reagan.

Sheeesh. One must wonder about the reading skills and comprehension ability of some here....I know, writing under the Marshalls' influence no doubt.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »

Yes that would be the "Intelligent Assignment" Section.
SEC. 1205. INTELLIGENT ASSIGNMENT IN ENROLLMENT. Paragraph (A)
I believe you may have missed the first word in that section: "or". Mandates don't generally begin with the word 'or'. Or implies a choice between two or more things.

I'll post more when I've had a chance to read the section that section amends.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2010, 10:08:49 pm »

So you liked the Carter economy.  I know he got screwed by oil prices but that was not the total picture. I liked the interest rates I was getting on CDs but the fact that they weren't worth as much as I put into them when adjusted for inflation was discouraging.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org