A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:21:59 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Y.I.M.B.Y (yes in my back yard)  (Read 4939 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: March 21, 2010, 08:40:21 am »

The M.e.t. is conducting a compost bin sale on Sunday, March 28th in downtown Tulsa. The sale is sponsored by the TARE board and TCC and will be conducted at 11th and Boston in the parking lots south of TCC metro campus.

The bins are the best available, Garden Gourmet brand, and will be sold for $40 each (slightly below our cost). In conjuction with the sale, I will be giving two seminars on backyard composting and the M.e.t. will have a contest for experienced gardeners for the best compost.

The sale is for Tulsa residents only and proper identification is required.

The sale time is from 11am till 3pm and is while supplies last. We have only purchased 832 bins and expect to sell out at this price. This brand of bin lists for $119 retail and is found in garden catalogs this spring for $85 (plus shipping). Here is a link to one such sale...http://www.compostbins.com/compost-bins/compost-bins/gardengourmet11cubicftcompostbin.cfm?source=overture&kwid=garden%20gourmet%20composter

The seminars will include what can be composted, how to get the best compost recipe, and how to build your own compost bin using bricks, pallets, or fencing. All particants will also receive a new brochure designed by the M.e.t.

The best compost contest is for experienced gardeners. Each entry should be brought in the bottom half of a milk jug and include a recipe card of the ingredients. Winners will receive a gold, silver or bronze mini shovel.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Miss Solemnis
Citizen

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2010, 01:20:32 pm »

Love it!  Can we buy more than one?  I'm in the process of converting about a half acre into new beds and the single bin I have isn't going to come close to doing the job.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2010, 02:06:34 pm »

I would recommend building a larger bin...

Here are some ideas form our website...

http://www.metrecycle.com/composting/#bins

Patrick
Activist

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2010, 02:48:12 pm »

What is considered proper identification?
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2010, 02:49:01 pm »

I would recommend building a larger bin...

Here are some ideas form our website...

http://www.metrecycle.com/composting/#bins

I will second this recommendation. Michael, thank you for offering this sale and the seminars. Very great service you are providing.

Thank you,
Robert Town
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 03:03:07 pm »

What is considered proper identification?

A driver's license with a Tulsa address or a city of Tulsa utility bill.

It is also limited to one per household.

buckeye
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 12:28:31 pm »

Sweet!  Thanks for the heads-up.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 01:17:47 pm »

A driver's license with a Tulsa address or a city of Tulsa utility bill.

It is also limited to one per household.

Why limited to only the city of Tulsa, don't the burbs and County also contribute to the MET?

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
brianh
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 01:23:30 pm »

I should go to this, my only knowledge of composting is to leave the bag collector off my lawn mower so it sprays the grass all over your lawn again.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 01:30:12 pm »

Why limited to only the city of Tulsa, don't the burbs and County also contribute to the MET?

Yes. But this sale is subsidized by City of Tulsa (TARE) dollars and they wanted to do this project with just Tulsa residents. My board approved the special sale at my last month's board meeting.

dsjeffries
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 01:37:46 pm »

Yes. But this sale is subsidized by City of Tulsa (TARE) dollars and they wanted to do this project with just Tulsa residents. My board approved the special sale at my last month's board meeting.

Right. And while the sale is limited to City of Tulsa residents, the workshops and contest are open to anyone.
Patrick
Activist

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2010, 03:06:33 pm »

We got ours today, set it up, and we are composting.  The pickup this morning was a well-run machine, thanks again.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:42 pm »

Glad you came by. The seminars went well, too. Everything about the compost day was great. All who participated are going to be making great dirt.

I am so happy I think I just soiled myself.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org