A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:12:26 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beno Hall?  (Read 5282 times)
rwarn17588
« on: March 28, 2010, 02:33:14 pm »

I understand that the KKK built a gigantic Beno Hall on Main Street north of downtown Tulsa during the teens or '20s.

Is it still there? Does anyone have a precise address of where it was/is?

A historian from out of town asked about it, and now it has me intrigued ...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2010, 02:39:55 pm »

I've done some research on Tulsa history and have not come across this anywhere.   Might have to look into it and see what I can find.   Say, wasn't shadows around then?
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2010, 02:44:22 pm »

well, a quick web search turned up a surprising number of things.  It was apparantly North of Downtown on Main street

found this site that had a quick mention of it
http://digital.library.okstate.edu/encyclopedia/entries/K/KU001.html

The Klan's power peaked in the 1920s. In 1923 the Klan built Beno Hall, an enormous, $200,000 building that dominated downtown Tulsa. The organization also played a primary role in Gov. John C. Walton's 1923 impeachment. Appalled by constant violence attributed to the Klan, Walton put parts of Oklahoma under martial law, starting with Okmulgee County, then Tulsa, and eventually the entire state. Although Walton's administration had serious troubles besides the Klan, his vendetta and use of martial law against that group stirred public resentment and became the primary focus of his impeachment. The trial brought unanimous votes to convict on charges of graft and of abuse of the pardon and parole powers. Walton's ordeal, however, also created a public perception of Klan lawlessness. In 1923 the Oklahoma legislature passed an anti-mask bill aimed at curbing Klan violence.

rwarn17588
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2010, 02:54:59 pm »

Just found out from a church link that it was in the 500 block of North Main. Checked Google Street View, and that block is almost entirely empty because of nearby I-244.

Gee ... can't imagine why people didn't protest when it was torn down.  Roll Eyes
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2010, 02:56:29 pm »

okay, did a bit more digging and everything else I can find on it is just a regurgitatoin of the commision report from the race riot that states

In time, the Tulsa Klan grew so solvent that it
built its own brick auditorium, Beno Hall — short,
it was said, for “Be No ******, Be No Jew, Be No
 Catholic” — on Main Street just north of down town.

Might be worth while to spend some time at the library going through news archives of 1923 to see waht can be turned up...  Man I wish those things were digital
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 02:58:15 pm by custosnox » Logged
rwarn17588
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2010, 02:57:43 pm »

okay, did a bit more digging and everything else I can find on it is just a regurgitatoin of the commision report from the race riot that states

Might be worth while to spend some time at the library going through news archives of 1923 to see waht can be turned up...  Man I wish those things were digital

I think I found that link about the same time you did. Holy fjuck, what a bad time it was to be anything but a white Protestant in Tulsa.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2010, 03:00:23 pm by rwarn17588 » Logged
fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2010, 02:59:50 pm »

The city elders  had 244 designed specifically with that intent as well as solidifying a segregated area of town.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2010, 03:01:27 pm »

The city elders  had 244 designed specifically with that intent as well as solidifying a segregated area of town.

Yes, I'm sure this was their all encompassing plan for having a highway built. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org