A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:44:04 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Speedhumps  (Read 28265 times)
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #45 on: March 20, 2010, 01:47:20 pm »

Which I think is now 40 but used to be 50.
I thought it was 35 once you got up to those subdivision entrances. It's been a long time since I've been down that way, though. I could be misremembering. Either way, driving through that area in traffic is not particularly enjoyable. The only excitement comes when some jackass turning into the subdivision decides to panic stop when they decide oncoming traffic a quarter mile away will interfere with their left turn. Wink

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: March 20, 2010, 01:54:05 pm »

I thought it was 35 once you got up to those subdivision entrances. It's been a long time since I've been down that way, though. I could be misremembering. Either way, driving through that area in traffic is not particularly enjoyable. The only excitement comes when some jackass turning into the subdivision decides to panic stop when they decide oncoming traffic a quarter mile away will interfere with their left turn. Wink

Might be 35.  I think there is a yellow sign with either 30 or 35.  You know, yellow - at least 10 over what it says except in rain and snow.

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2010, 01:11:38 pm »

It's interesting how road width affects speed.  Over the years, I've been caught speeding in places where the road design shouted "super-highway," while the speed limit signs stated 25 or 35 or whatever.  I get caught day-dreaming...my body is alert to the physical constraints of the road, but my brain doesn't read the signs.  It's happened a couple times that I can specifically remember thinking: if they don't want you to speed, they shouldn't build a frickin highway through town!  If you build extra-wide lanes, put in multiple lanes and have huge setbacks, people will speed.  Places like Owasso are prime examples.  Their arterial streets are as wide as interstates, and there's certainly no pedestrian traffic or even signs of human life (shops, playgrounds, bicycles) near the streets to remind you about other uses of the ROW.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2010, 01:21:48 pm »

These kind of roads keep drivers slow.

* AUT_6329.JPG (378.04 KB - downloaded 289 times.)
* AUT_6336.JPG (405.84 KB - downloaded 284 times.)

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #49 on: May 10, 2018, 03:39:21 pm »

Our neighborhood was surprised today with about a dozen new speed humps.
No idea who requested them, and it apparently didnt go thru neighborhood contacts (of which I am one).

The humps arent on my street, but the traffic diverted from them is.  My street is now much less safe than it was this time yesterday.
Neighbors are livid the resources went to this and not to the potholes.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #50 on: May 10, 2018, 06:13:18 pm »

Our neighborhood was surprised today with about a dozen new speed humps.
No idea who requested them, and it apparently didnt go thru neighborhood contacts (of which I am one).

The humps arent on my street, but the traffic diverted from them is.  My street is now much less safe than it was this time yesterday.

Sorry I thought you were talking about quick nooners.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: May 10, 2018, 07:18:20 pm »

I agree. The city could have added a bunch more potholes and that would have slowed down traffic even more.

Power is nothing till you use it.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2018, 07:22:19 pm »

Sorry I thought you were talking about quick nooners.

Well, people are being screwed...

It looks like the city skipped a few of the steps in order to have this approved, such as involving the neighborhood.  You can apply to have it removed AFTER A YEAR and only if the city elects to consider the neighbors affected by the diverted traffic (and not just the people on the humped street).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Ed W
City Father

« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2018, 08:01:34 pm »

It could be worse...maybe:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Ed

May you live in interesting times.
TeeDub
« Reply #54 on: May 11, 2018, 07:15:12 am »

Well, people are being screwed...

It looks like the city skipped a few of the steps in order to have this approved, such as involving the neighborhood.  You can apply to have it removed AFTER A YEAR and only if the city elects to consider the neighbors affected by the diverted traffic (and not just the people on the humped street).

I'd bet that someone called and complained about traffic speeds.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #55 on: May 11, 2018, 07:26:47 am »

It could be worse...maybe:

“But the plans were on display…”
“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”
“That’s the display department.”
“With a flashlight.”
“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”
“So had the stairs.”
“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”
“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”

Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

Oh no,  Not Again...

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #56 on: May 11, 2018, 10:53:54 am »

(and not just the people on the humped street).

patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: May 11, 2018, 11:03:46 am »

I'd bet that someone called and complained about traffic speeds.

Ill bet you are right, but before that someone pushes their problem off on their neighbors the neighbors are supposed to get an opportunity to address it, or at least be told.  24 speed humps should not just appear without the input of the affected residents.

TeeDub
« Reply #58 on: May 11, 2018, 12:40:44 pm »

Ill bet you are right, but before that someone pushes their problem off on their neighbors the neighbors are supposed to get an opportunity to address it, or at least be told.  24 speed humps should not just appear without the input of the affected residents.

You mistake what the government is here for.

Even the Simpsons know.   

Marge:    I thought you said the law was powerless.
Chief Wiggum:  Powerless to *help* you, not punish you.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #59 on: May 11, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »

Ill bet you are right, but before that someone pushes their problem off on their neighbors the neighbors are supposed to get an opportunity to address it, or at least be told.  24 speed humps should not just appear without the input of the affected residents.

Late at night.  Couple gallons diesel fuel and gasoline mix, poured all over the speed bump - the asphalt should help the process.  Light it up.  If lucky, enough degradation to require removal.   (Don't stick around with marshmallows, either!!)

Civil disobedience - "Stick it to the man, man...!!"

If that don't work, see if you can get some loaded dump trucks to drive through the neighborhood for a while...that will crumble everything, providing traffic calming as well as getting rid of bumps.

« Last Edit: May 11, 2018, 03:59:46 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org