A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 04:06:55 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Neighborhood Speedhumps  (Read 28276 times)
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« on: March 18, 2010, 01:26:57 pm »

The street I live on is an insanely busy street, and is often used as a bypass for Garnett or 21st 129th.  It also seems that it doubles well as a drag strip.  There are people that easily do 60 past my house.  We have had numerous cars hit being parked in the street (not enough driveway honestly) and one even totaled when a driver lost control of their car.  Now with this kind of driving behavior I have been wanting for years to have speed humps installed here, but nothing.  Now I see them not only popping up in South Tulsa neighborhoods but North Tulsa as well.  Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to get COT to do this?  Or will it have to come from private funds (home owners association or such)?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 03:59:58 pm by custosnox » Logged
dbacks fan
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 01:37:31 pm »

The street I live on is an insanely buy street, and is often used as a bypass for Garnett or 21st.  It also seems that it doubles well as a drag strip.  There are people that easily do 60 past my house.  We have had numerous cars hit being parked in the street (not enough driveway honestly) and one even totaled when a driver lost control of their car.  Now with this kind of driving behavior I have been wanting for years to have speed humps installed here, but nothing.  Now I see them not only popping up in South Tulsa neighborhoods but North Tulsa as well.  Can anyone tell me what needs to be done to get COT to do this?  Or will it have to come from private funds (home owners association or such)?

You have to go through the COT Traffic/Streets Dept and trhey will have to come out and research it. You may have to petition your neighbors as well to show that there is a large enogh demand.
TURobY
Social Butterfly
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 02:35:54 pm »

We have been trying to get them in our neighborhood for a few years now (including filing paperwork, surveys, neighborhood meetings, etc). It seems to be a VERY lengthy process.

---Robert
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 02:58:27 pm »

We have been trying to get them in our neighborhood for a few years now (including filing paperwork, surveys, neighborhood meetings, etc). It seems to be a VERY lengthy process.

Well, I have printed off the application.  If I have to, I'll sit out there with a camcorder then take it to the meetings and show it.  Something has to be done out here.  Can't get TPD to sit out here after 5pm (which is when it starts getting real bad) and short of standing in the street with a ball bat yelling at people to slow down (yes, I have done this) I don't know what else to do
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2010, 03:25:58 pm »

Well, I have printed off the application.  If I have to, I'll sit out there with a camcorder then take it to the meetings and show it.  Something has to be done out here.  Can't get TPD to sit out here after 5pm (which is when it starts getting real bad) and short of standing in the street with a ball bat yelling at people to slow down (yes, I have done this) I don't know what else to do

I'm guessing you live on or near the street that runs south of 21st at the light in front of Foster Middle School, correct?  I believe that's 121st East Ave.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2010, 03:47:12 pm »

I'm guessing you live on or near the street that runs south of 21st at the light in front of Foster Middle School, correct?  I believe that's 121st East Ave.

That would be it
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2010, 03:58:05 pm »

That would be it

My brother lived on near that street at 30th, after where it forces you to turn, but they still drove like asshats then.  He hurled a rock at one going what we would estimate 65mph one night.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 03:59:41 pm »

My brother lived on near that street at 30th, after where it forces you to turn, but they still drove like asshats then.  He hurled a rock at one going what we would estimate 65mph one night.
That is actually right where I am at.  They still drive like asshats.  Used to not be as bad back when a cop lived down the street and parked in the street, but since he moved it has gotten worse.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 04:53:34 pm »

Yes, we need more wear and tear on our emergency apparatus.  Roll Eyes

There are much better ways to go about traffic calming. The last thing we need in Tulsa is more outdated ideas.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:04:33 pm »

There are much better ways to go about traffic calming. The last thing we need in Tulsa is more outdated ideas.

We're all ears Nate.  Because obviously the police don't help.  I've lived in two neighborhoods like this and the answer I got both times was 'unless you can catch them, there's nothing we can do'.

Don't we pay them for that?  Isn't that what they earn a paycheck for?

Or is it to sit in hidden church parking lots at the end of every month to try and tag everyone going 2 over the speed limit to make quota?

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 06:27:59 pm »

The wider design of the speed HUMPS have much less damaging effect on vehicles.  It's amazing how we can update outdated ideas.  As Hoss says, if you have a better way of getting these people to slow down, let us know.  While I am not a big fan of having to go over these things, they are better then people going interstate speeds down my neighborhood street.  I could care less if the fire trucks have to get their suspension redone ten times as often if that is what it akes to keep my kids safe.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 08:39:51 pm »

My neighborhood association got the city to put our streets on their schedule. 120 houses and they want to put in 77 speedbumps. That means every 4th house has a hump in front of it.

I voted against them because that is excessive and because the speeders in our neighborhood do 30 or 35 at most and the speedhumps they put in are meant to be mild enough that driving 25 over them is easy so if you do 5mph, it's not big deal. If we had people doing 50, I'd see the point, but we don't. We just have a few vocal people who sit outside and scowl at anyone doing over 15.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 09:03:48 pm »

yeah, that would be a bit much.  I think that AT MOST it should be one hump every block.  And as I said, usually I dislike them, but in this case it is a real safety issue.  Too bad we don't have a neighborhood association to push the issue.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:04:50 pm »

Potholes work just as well as speedhumps to slow traffic and they are much easier to make. Just saying...

Power is nothing till you use it.
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 09:28:11 pm »

Potholes work just as well as speedhumps to slow traffic and they are much easier to make. Just saying...

Oh we have plenty of those.  Unfortunatly the street is wide enough that they can swerve around them.  Of course, this might be part of the issue.  The street is actually wide enough to have four lanes... in fact, I think it's wider then parts of Peoria
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org