A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 10:31:41 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 34 MPG in a Ford Super Duty pickup  (Read 12918 times)
rwarn17588
« on: March 12, 2010, 01:22:57 pm »

Very impressive. The guy who did it, whom I've corresponded with about hyper-miling with Honda Insights, got 28 mpg in the same truck in a trip from Phoenix to Chicago.

http://www.thefordstory.com/green/journalists-squeeze-2011-ford-super-duty%C2%AE-for-impressive-fuel-economy/
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 03:53:14 pm »

I seem to get stuck behind hyper-milers on the on ramp to the highway. They want to get up to speed a little slower than the rest of us and often create dangerous driving conditions.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 08:38:02 pm »

It must be the new physics where you can blend into traffic seamlessly while going 10 to 15 mph slower than the through traffic.  Then, to make up for going slow at the entrance ramp, you step on the brakes to make sure you are down to exit ramp speed before entering the exit ramp. (Exit ramps backed up to the main road are, of course, a different story with their own hazzards.)  

Just to get back on topic ( Grin ), the energy you think you are saving on gas causes others to take evasive action using more energy than you have saved.

Drives me nuts!

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 08:48:43 pm »

Chrysler is advertising a Hemi that switches to less than 8 cylinders when power is not needed.

Anyone else remember the Cadillac 8-6-4 from about 20 years ago that almost everyone laughed at?

rwarn17588
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 06:03:49 am »

I think the point that's been lost in this article is that vehicle makers can indeed make useful and big vehicles that get pretty good mileage, after insisting for years that they can't.

These guys were challenged to get 25 mpg on a huge Ford heavy-duty truck, and got it easily and then some. That would have been unthinkable a few years ago. And improving mileage for trucks from the mid- to high teens to the 20s makes a big impact on fuel consumption.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 07:18:50 pm »

Not only have they denied for years that better mileage is achievable, they also paid of Congress to relax fuel standards as well as crash standards.

There used to be a 5mph bumper impact rule until the Reagan years... no damage for end impact of 5mph or less.  Now, the average damage is over $1500 for a 3 mph according to what I see from the IIHS.  If you can believe them....insurance companies.

Think that affects your premiums??  Whew, thank God for deregulation!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 08:55:13 pm »

Not only have they denied for years that better mileage is achievable, they also paid of Congress to relax fuel standards as well as crash standards.

There used to be a 5mph bumper impact rule until the Reagan years... no damage for end impact of 5mph or less.  Now, the average damage is over $1500 for a 3 mph according to what I see from the IIHS.  If you can believe them....insurance companies.

Think that affects your premiums??  Whew, thank God for deregulation!!

I remember reading that the 5 mph bumper made premiums go up.  It turned out that the structure to prevent damage at 5 mph was a lot more expensive to replace or fix than the older stuff and enough "accidents" were over 5 mph that the average repair costs increased.  That's been a while, probably when there were still actually bumpers. 

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2010, 06:13:33 am »

You probably need to go re-read/research that.  Not even close to reality.  ALL repair/insurance costs were proportionately lower, even adjusted for inflation and every other cost standard.  The "deregulation" we so blindly embraced has done nothing but make costs higher.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2010, 06:39:27 am »

I remember reading that the 5 mph bumper made premiums go up.  It turned out that the structure to prevent damage at 5 mph was a lot more expensive to replace or fix than the older stuff and enough "accidents" were over 5 mph that the average repair costs increased.  That's been a while, probably when there were still actually bumpers. 
The "bumper" on my sister's '06 CR-V did not fare so well against my '91 Accord's rear bumper when she failed to clear it and hit it at low speed. It's got a nice dent in the plastic that doesn't appear to be easily removable.

While I can't say whether or not that's common to newer bumpers, I can say that someone slid into my Accord on wet pavement when I was stopped at a yield sign some years back and again did no damage. It may not be the most luxurious ride, but it's hard to break.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2010, 06:53:04 am »

You probably need to go re-read/research that.  Not even close to reality.  ALL repair/insurance costs were proportionately lower, even adjusted for inflation and every other cost standard.  The "deregulation" we so blindly embraced has done nothing but make costs higher.

You evidently have some research or evidence indicating that the 5 mph bumper resulted in lower insurance rates than before the 5 mph bumper that contradicts my memory.  Please post it so I don't waste my time trying to find something I remember from more than 20 years ago.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2010, 10:23:15 am »

The "bumper" on my sister's '06 CR-V did not fare so well against my '91 Accord's rear bumper when she failed to clear it and hit it at low speed. It's got a nice dent in the plastic that doesn't appear to be easily removable.

While I can't say whether or not that's common to newer bumpers, I can say that someone slid into my Accord on wet pavement when I was stopped at a yield sign some years back and again did no damage. It may not be the most luxurious ride, but it's hard to break.

Nathan, you can attempt the repair with a heat gun (similar to a hair dryer, much hotter temp) and some dry ice or cold rag.

Here's how that works, basically:

http://www.ehow.com/how_2138388_fix-dents-plastic-bumper-covers.html

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2010, 11:26:49 am »

Here is just a quick statement from IIHS.  The people who actually RAISE your insurance bills....
Check out the News Releases from Aug 27, 1997 and May 8, 1997.  This has been common knowledge and REPORTED in the REAL news (NOT anything with Murdoch in it) for 20 years or more. 

So, we moved from a 5mph bumper standard with no damage, to allowing car makers to do whatever they want in the name of "deregulation" ala Reagan.  Now there is some kind of progress.   Saturn was the best in 1997 at $655 damage, while the Hyundai was over $3000. 

And the luxury guys?  Well, hold onto your panties...a walking speed impact - 5 mph - on a Lexus caused $6190 in damage.

http://www.iihs.org/research/topics/bumpers.html

How is THAT hopey/changey thing working out for ya'??

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2010, 11:29:36 am »

That Ford is a good truck.  The lower rear-end ratio and the big tires don't hurt, either.  I have driven both the Ford and Dodge diesels for hundreds of thousands of miles and have gotten 25 mpg on both from time to time when I wasn't hurrying or pulling a load.

Don't know about Chevy, but friends say they are good with the Isuzu diesel...

Mike 01Hawk
Civic Leader

Peace be with you

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 11:50:10 am »

All Hyper-milers need to DIAF  Angry
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 12:51:03 pm »

All Hyper-milers need to DIAF  Angry

OK, someone trying to get as much out of the high cost of fuel needs to die in a fire?
 Huh

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org