A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:57:24 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Indian Food  (Read 5611 times)
Patrick
Activist

« on: March 10, 2010, 02:40:20 pm »

I haven't seen much discussion on here regarding indian food.  I visit three different places in Tulsa, including Desi Wok, Kolam, and India Palace.  The latter is my favorite - the lunch buffet is always tasty and ordering off the menu is always a treat.  Excellent naan and if you like spicy, get the vindaloo.

We go to Kolam once every month or two.  They have a dinner buffet that is pretty good.  Never ordered off the menu though.  Desi Wok is okay (the indian portion of the menu) - their hummus and naan are good.  But I have always found their curry to be too watery and lacking key flavors.

Any others in town I should try?
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2010, 03:51:00 pm »

Have you been to Indian Corner?

It is on the southwest corner of 61st and Garnett.

They have a restaurant, a shop and a Indian grocery store.

I have not been there, just know it exists.

Power is nothing till you use it.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2010, 03:58:37 pm »

I haven't seen much discussion on here regarding indian food.  I visit three different places in Tulsa, including Desi Wok, Kolam, and India Palace.  The latter is my favorite - the lunch buffet is always tasty and ordering off the menu is always a treat.  Excellent naan and if you like spicy, get the vindaloo.

We go to Kolam once every month or two.  They have a dinner buffet that is pretty good.  Never ordered off the menu though.  Desi Wok is okay (the indian portion of the menu) - their hummus and naan are good.  But I have always found their curry to be too watery and lacking key flavors.

Any others in town I should try?

Out of the two other places do either have good Curry? I like Desi Wok fine, though it would be nice to add somewhere a little better and a little more complete Indian menu (and better curry is a plus.)

Thank you,
Robert Town
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 03:59:59 pm »

Out of the two other places do either have good Curry? I like Desi Wok fine, though it would be nice to add somewhere a little better and a little more complete Indian menu (and better curry is a plus.)

Actually, if you love curry, Thai Siam or Bankok offer some great Thai dishes heavy on the curry.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
unknown
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 07:17:56 pm »

Have you been to Indian Corner?

It is on the southwest corner of 61st and Garnett.

They have a restaurant, a shop and a Indian grocery store.

I have not been there, just know it exists.

Indian Corner is a Mexican place now, but it wasn't very good. India Palace is the best we have to offer.
Ihearttacos
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 11:47:42 am »

Months ago I tried to go to India Corner before I heard it closed, Kolam's buffet was open and hit the spot.  My favorite is still India Palace but by far the priciest of the Indian in town if you're ordering from the menu.  I love India Palace for their ability to accomodate larger dining parties.  Kolam is good for a dinner buffet, India Palace for a lunch buffet and desi wok for an anyday take out of tasty tikka masala and samosas.
buckeye
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2010, 10:00:20 am »

Desi Wok kinda sucks.  It smells very promising, but the meals are just huge portions of half-assed recipes (and execution).  Not bad for a relatively cheap place, but I'll go to India Palace every time and feel good about spending the money.

Sadly, Thai Siam is a mere shadow of its former self.  After Dee & his gang left, the food steadily went downhill, finding an equilibrium somewhere just slightly above mediocre.  Especially when Dee's wife was doing the cooking, there was something magic in the green curry...those were the days!  I'd recommend Thai Village at 81st and Lewis, although it's a very different style.
PepePeru
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2010, 12:41:11 pm »

Desi Wok kinda sucks.  It smells very promising, but the meals are just huge portions of half-assed recipes (and execution).  Not bad for a relatively cheap place, but I'll go to India Palace every time and feel good about spending the money.

Sadly, Thai Siam is a mere shadow of its former self.  After Dee & his gang left, the food steadily went downhill, finding an equilibrium somewhere just slightly above mediocre.  Especially when Dee's wife was doing the cooking, there was something magic in the green curry...those were the days!  I'd recommend Thai Village at 81st and Lewis, although it's a very different style.

Desi Wok can be hit or miss I've found.  I've had some good food there, other times it's been marginal at best.

However, Thai Siam spoiled me the first time there, I had great food there, not great service though. Its steadily gone downhill with each visit.  the last two times, I've ordered the panang (red curry), according to the menu its supposed to come with pineapple, bamboo shoots, green peppers, peas some other vegetables.

Yeah, the key words are 'supposed to'.  All my dish had in it was peas, green peppers and a few shoots and whatever meat I've ordered.  It's not terrible food, it's just that if I'm going to drop 11-12 bucks on an entree I'd at least expect it to have the ingredients the menu reads.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2010, 01:11:16 pm »

When did Dee leave?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org