A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 01:23:04 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TMAPC Public Hearing - PlaniTulsa  (Read 22731 times)
Liz Wright
« on: March 08, 2010, 10:08:24 pm »

The second public hearing for comments on the new comprehensive plan will take place Wednesday March 10 from 1:30 - 4:30 pm. At the end of the public hearings comments will close so if you cannot make it to the meeting be sure and post your comments on the PlaniTulsa web page.

All comments will be reviewed. Your opinion matters.

Thank you -

Liz Wright
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 08:43:15 am »

Liz,

Thank you for thinking of us and keeping everyone posted.  I'm sure I speak for many when I say it is appreciated.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 01:12:46 pm »

Here's a fascinating document that everyone should review:
http://www.planitulsa.org/files/PLANiTULSA-TMAPC-PH-Memo-030510.pdf

It's basically a memo/summary of the most "contentious" elements in the plan (ie: INCOG or the Home Builders Association doesn't like something...), and how the consulting team has responded to these issues.  Each item includes clairifications, possible amendments for consideration, and various actions that the TMAPC may decide to take.

This one is also fascinating: 
http://www.planitulsa.org/files/PLANiTULSA-TMAPC-Discussion-Items-030510.pdf

It's a log of all the comments that have been received during the public comment period (since the public hearings started).  The best part (I love the PLANITULSA process!!) is that you can see exactly who is challenging certain items (Joe Westervelt, INCOG, John Bumgarner, etc).  This is a reminder to all the "normal folks" out there to give your input.  Don't let a handful of people assume too much influence.  This is our plan.  Every citizen has an equal voice.

You can see links to all the feedback/input that has been received at:
http://www.planitulsa.org/tmapc-feedback

TAKE A MOMENT AND WEIGH IN!  MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD!

MichaelBates
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 10:05:40 am »

It's disappointing that, even though the development lobby had seats at the table -- prominent developers and heads of development and real estate organizations were members of the citizens' advisory committee -- they didn't participate much in the give and take of plan development, and now they're coming at the last minute to get the TMAPC to dismember PLANiTULSA and remake it to their liking. They are operating under a legal theory that if the TMAPC takes out part of the plan, the City Council can't put it back in. That's why it's important for the TMAPC to hear from Tulsans that they want the plan left intact. Today is the last opportunity to submit comments to the TMAPC.

More here: http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/03/dear-tmapc-please-dont-dismember.html

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 10:28:28 am »

Shocked, I tell you.

Even our women's basketbal team is named Shock.

Power is nothing till you use it.
dsjeffries
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 01:46:54 pm »

Streaming live now: http://www.tgovonline.org/
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 02:29:31 pm »

It's disappointing that, even though the development lobby had seats at the table -- prominent developers and heads of development and real estate organizations were members of the citizens' advisory committee -- they didn't participate much in the give and take of plan development, and now they're coming at the last minute to get the TMAPC to dismember PLANiTULSA and remake it to their liking. They are operating under a legal theory that if the TMAPC takes out part of the plan, the City Council can't put it back in. That's why it's important for the TMAPC to hear from Tulsans that they want the plan left intact. Today is the last opportunity to submit comments to the TMAPC.

More here: http://www.batesline.com/archives/2010/03/dear-tmapc-please-dont-dismember.html

I feel sorry for Mr Bumgarner. It's obvious that these "so called "neighborhood associations"" (his words)-henceforth referred to as "customers"  are a bunch of loud, unwashed, uneducated, mouth-breathers that can't see his impeccable vision for Tulsa with all of its dryvit Italianate grandeur. These customers sit in their out dated (or historic) houses and dream up ways to prevent him from turning the houses into parking lots. They get together in unruly mobs to tell the PT folks how they want to live and shop without the benefit of his superior knowledge of development...which as he knows needs to be as spread out as possible and accessible only by car.

Poor guy. Its hard to be the only one with the vision.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 03:51:30 pm »

Well, the development community lobbied for a delay, so there's going to be an additional public hearing on Tues, March 23 @ 6:00 PM.  (I agree with Michael Bates.  It's totally bogus, considering how many people from the development, real estate, and business community were invited to participate at every level of the process, and given every opportunity to be a part of PLANiTULSA from day one.  As someone who's attended almost every PLANiTULSA meeting and event, I can state that a lot of folks who are now complaining couldn't be bothered to attend meetings during the past two years...even after they were personally invited.)   

I'm glad the TMAPC scheduled an evening start time, so more working people could come show their support.

If you've been meaning to write a letter, or show up and speak, you've got another chance.  Do it.  It matters.

more info at: http://www.planitulsa.org/
Rico
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 03:26:03 pm »

Well, the development community lobbied for a delay, so there's going to be an additional public hearing on Tues, March 23 @ 6:00 PM.  (I agree with Michael Bates.  It's totally bogus, considering how many people from the development, real estate, and business community were invited to participate at every level of the process, and given every opportunity to be a part of PLANiTULSA from day one.  As someone who's attended almost every PLANiTULSA meeting and event, I can state that a lot of folks who are now complaining couldn't be bothered to attend meetings during the past two years...even after they were personally invited.)   

The TMAPC scheduled an evening start time, so more working people could come show their support.

If you've been meaning to write a letter, or show up and speak, you've got another chance.  Do it.  It matters.

more info at: http://www.planitulsa.org/

Ponder.... I have read and agree with the fact that the entities that are attacking the "PlaniTulsa" project at the last minute are doing so as an organized attempt to "minimize" it's impact.

That being said....

I have a hard time understanding the actions that some "Okies" find logical and acceptable.

In the Bates article he quotes a portion of a letter from Jamie Jamison. Someone who's opinion and knowledge of "urban planning" I have long been a fan of.

**below is a portion of that letter.**

It's starkly clear that the homebuilders, realtors and the Chamber, all of whom showed up to complain yesterday, are mounting a serious effort to torpedo key features of PLANiTULSA. They give the impression of having lain in wait for two years.

It looks as if the strategy is to drag out, obfuscate, confuse, conflate, alienate, discredit and ultimately emasculate the Plan to suit a myopic view of their own narrow interests, at the expense of Tulsa and Tulsans. A tactic in this is (i) to show up at the tail-end of the process when normal people have made their contribution to the process, and are at their day jobs, (ii) to gradually wear everyone else out to a point where no one else shows up except them, and (iii) to connive and lobby behind closed doors. They are now variously asking for a 60 or more days delay for their 'members' to consider PLANiTULSA's 200 pages. Never mind that everyone else has already read it. Perhaps - being charitable - they're just slow readers.

The Chamber, of which I am a long-time and slightly embarrassed member in particular made itself look hopelessly out of touch: it sent a new and floundering employee along to ask for a delay with the flimsiest of rationales. It seemed pretty clear that it's been 'got at' by the Home Builders, who merely succeeded in making the Chamber look stupid - to the extent that the audience laughed at the Chamber's first utterances. Their representative left early. 'Mission accomplished'. Engagement Over.

This is, sadly, a fight that in my view will determine whether Tulsa has much of a future.

So let's see if I can just begin to wrap my tiny little brain around yhese facts....

a. The Tulsa Metro Chamber has taken a more than slightly vocal stance of opposition to the "PlaniTulsa".

b. We the taxpayers of Tulsa ie the City of Tulsa, Pay the Tulsa Metro Chamber to lobby for economic development in Tulsa$

c. The Tulsa Metro Chamber, possibly using funds from the "Hotel Motel Tax" monies that they are paid with, has decided that irregardless of the opinion and position taken by the Citizenry of Tulsa that "PlaniTulsa" is not something that we need to have.
Well...... we pay them a lot of money$ for their expertise.
Maybe "The Metro Knows Best"$$
 Herein lies my confusion. And if someone can explain this as being either a rational or ethical agenda item for the "Chamber", I'm all ears.

This has to be one of those "Okie" things that just doesn't translate.

Of course I have the very same problem with the following action taken in OKC by a paid public representative.... So maybe I just try to find logic where there is none.

Oklahoma Republican says he switched Obama photo at Capitol

By Associated Press
Published: 3/16/2010  3:00 PM
Last Modified: 3/16/2010  3:00 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY — A Republican state lawmaker says he is responsible for moving a portrait of Democratic President Barack Obama that hangs in the state House chamber.

Rep. Lewis Moore of Arcadia issued a statement Tuesday in which he says he swapped Obama's portrait with a portrait of Democratic Gov. Brad Henry that also hangs in the chamber. Moore's seat in the House is near where Obama's portrait hangs on a wall.

The switch angered a Democratic lawmaker, Rep. Mike Shelton of Oklahoma City. Shelton, who is black, says he was offended and believes the act was childish.

Moore says he respects the office of president but disagrees with Obama's policies. Moore says his opposition to Obama's health care overhaul bill was his sole motivation for moving the photo.

rico

PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2010, 09:04:55 am »

Today in the paper we read that the Chamber needs more time to study PLANiTULSA, so that they can "understand what [they're] endorsing."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100317_16_A1_TheTul517224

This is a total joke.  Mike Neal was invited to participate as part of the PLANiTULSA Citizens Advisory Team over two years ago.  (Mission:  "To help guide the planning process, get Tulsans involved, and ensure that our new comprehensive plan reflects our community's shared vision.")

Had he chosen to actually ATTEND any of the Citizens Team meetings, which have occured monthly for the past two years, he might have a better grasp of what PLANiTULSA is and why it matters.

Out of the hundred or so folks who were invited to participate on the Citizens Team, there is a core group of about 25 who actually show up to every meeting.  Some folks  show up sporadically, but it's not a shock when they attend.  Then, there are many, like Mr. Neal, who showed up to the first one, and have never been seen since.

On the other hand, there are many people who were not officially named to the original Citizens Team, who cared enough to show up to the monthly meetings and participate.  Their insights and ideas have been welcomed, and they have worked hard to help keep Tulsans informed about the project as it moves forward.

Guess it just wasn't important enough to the Chamber.

PLANiTULSA Citizens Team:
Anna America
Chip Ard
Barbara Argabright
Stephanie Arnold de Verges
Dan Arthrell
Maria Barnes
Howard Barnett, Jr.
Michael Bates
Marquay Baul
Stacey Bayles
Jim Beach
Herb Beattie
David Bernstein
Michael Birkes
Bruce Bolzle
David Breed
Ken Busby
Ron Bussert
G.T. Bynum
Michelle Cantrell
Bill Cartright
David Conrad
Tom Cooper
Felicia Collins Correia
Jan Creveling
Patience Crowder
Katy Davis
Nancy Day
Phil Dessauer
Randy Dittmann
Dr. Kathy Dodd
Stephen Dow
Phil Eller
Dan Ellinor
Lanny Endicott
Todd Enlow
Shane Fernandez
Jan Figart
Linda Fitzgerald
Linda Frazier
Reuben Gant
Derek W. Gates
Darrell Gilbert
Jerry Goodwin
Jim Goodwin
Rudy Gordon
Thompson Gouge
Mark Graham
Robert Gregory
Sean Griffin
Shonday Harmon
Jack Henderson
Maxine Horner
Brian Hunt
Barney James
Jamie Jamieson
Dr. Sharlene Johnson
Stanton L. Johnson
Christine Kallenberger
Paul Kane
Karen Keith
Pat Kendall
Ken Klein
Sarah Kobos
Jim Lamb
Carol Lambert
Sandra Langenkamp
Bill Major
Jane Malone
Tom Maxwell
Marla Mayberry
Jeannie McDaniel
Judy Eason McIntyre
Jon McGrath
Matt Meyer
Jim Mishler
Ernesto Mondragon
Darick Morton
Shelby Navarro
Mike Neal
Jack Neely
Elliot Nelson
Janice Nicklas
Jim Norton
Esther Ogans
Brian O'Mahony
Bill Packard
Maria Carlota Palacios
Carlton Pearson
Julius Pegues
Kay Price
Michael Reed
Shawn Schaefer
Ed Schermerhorn
Seneca Scott
John Selph
Jabar Shumate
John Smaligo
J. D. Smith
Scott Smith
Bob Sober
Janet Stearns
Rand Suffolk
Paul Thomas
Wendy Thomas
Pat Treadway
Dr. Gary Trennepohl
Roscoe Turner
Donald Tyler
Al Unser
Margarita Vega-Trevino
Tom Wallace
Rose Washington-Rentie
Corey Williams
Paul Wilson
Larry Wofford

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:10:14 am »

So what do we have?  A plan that is about to be thrown out the window?

Do we have any strong champions that are actually able to persuade for our side or is it all now going to be pushed to side with the builder's groups?
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 01:42:05 pm »

I think the TMAPC should be able to see through the Chamber's bogus claims.  Anyone who's read the plan can see that it incorporates data that was provided by the Chamber (especially in the Economic Development section).  That data didn't materialize out of thin air...I think the Chamber must have known they were providing it!  Also, every time the Frego team is in town, they spend hours meeting with various groups and organizations--including the Chamber--basically giving presentations and meeting with anyone who wants to sit down and talk.  I know that they've met with Chamber leadership on more than one occasion (in addition to the Home Builders, commercial developers, etc.)

Having said that, I can't stress how important it is for the TMAPC to hear from Tulsa citizens who support PLANiTULSA, and don't want to see it eviscerated by "surgical strikes" to various elements of the plan.  So be sure to read the comment logs so you can understand where the plan is under attack and by whom.  Then provide your own input on those issues.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:39:06 pm »

Al Unser? Like the driver?

PlaniTulsa had a 90% shot if it had come up for approval under the last administration. Now we have a mayor and some councilors who don't understand it.
PonderInc
City Dweller
City Father

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 09:17:39 am »

No.  Al Unser like the CEO of the "Greater Tulsa Association of Realtors."
MichaelBates
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 10:34:07 am »

Al Unser? Like the driver?

PlaniTulsa had a 90% shot if it had come up for approval under the last administration. Now we have a mayor and some councilors who don't understand it.

I don't know about the Mayor, but I think the current council is likely to be favorable to PLANiTULSA and certainly won't be inclined to kowtow to the Chamber or the homebuilders. Seven of the nine members of the council won their seats over a candidate backed by the development industry. That's why the homebuilders are trying to gut the plan at the TMAPC.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org