A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:03:36 am
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilcrease Museum to add a new center for research  (Read 14496 times)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2018, 02:49:33 pm »

Gilcrease museum expansion update:

University of Tulsa hires nationally-reknown firm to help redesign Gilcrease Museum

The $65 million overhaul of Gilcrease Museum won’t begin for at least two years, but perhaps the most important decision related to the massive construction project has already been made.

The Gilcrease National Advisory Board recently endorsed the museum entering into an agreement with Gallagher & Associates to do an interpretive master plan and feasibility study for the museum. The University of Tulsa operates Gilcrease for the city.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local/university-of-tulsa-hires-nationally-renowned-firm-to-help-redesign/article_ed811ab1-4aa7-56d6-95ee-992820850b44.html

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2018, 04:34:35 pm »

That's pretty cool.  I hope the concept of linking Gilcrease to the Riverside Trail System is still part of the master plan on that.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2018, 06:55:31 pm »

Looks horrid.  Cold, stark, drab, boring, and uninviting.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TeeDub
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2018, 08:03:05 am »

I like it.   But I am not an artist.
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2018, 08:21:54 am »

That's pretty cool.  I hope the concept of linking Gilcrease to the Riverside Trail System is still part of the master plan on that.

I didn't know the Riverside Trail system went north of downtown?

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
erfalf
City Father

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2018, 08:28:48 am »

Looks horrid.  Cold, stark, drab, boring, and uninviting.

Ironic, the "artist" doesn't care for this "artistic" take on a museum. Not a fan either.

Coincidently this was the plan for the one time planned expansion for Price Tower.

So organic in shape juxtaposed with FLW's well not so organic original design.

"Trust but Verify." - The Gipper
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2018, 09:06:54 am »

I didn't know the Riverside Trail system went north of downtown?

The Katy Trail intersects with Gilcrease Museum Road right off HWY 412.  It's about a mile south of the museum.  You could ride north on Gilcrease Museum Road without much hassle.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2018, 10:27:05 am »

The Katy Trail intersects with Gilcrease Museum Road right off HWY 412.  It's about a mile south of the museum.  You could ride north on Gilcrease Museum Road without much hassle.

That first stretch from 412 to Edison is not fun to ride on bike.  And even from Edison to Pine, there is enough traffic (and no shoulder) that it's not a very friendly road to bike.  North of Pine doesn't have a lot of traffic, so not bad.  Most riders avoid Gilcrease road from 412 to Apache, and use either 33rd or Union.  My preferred route (coming from the North) is to use Union down to Edison, then East to Quanah and South on Quanna under 412 and hit the trail there.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2018, 12:47:42 pm »

I like the design.  It is different, should age fairly well, and would likely be somewhat practical from a cost perspective.  Better than what is there now for sure.  Similar to Crystal Bridges.  Not sure what else I would expect.

For the trails - the New Block Park trail (goes by the Water Works Art enter along Charles Page Blvd) connects with River Trails over the tracks and under I-244 (one spur going across the river, the other south to Blue Rose). The Katy Trail connects the Tulsa Arts District to Sand Springs.  Both of those trails meet up basically at Gilcrease Rd and 412.  If they clean up the Katy Trail near David L. Moss, it would be a really nice ~ 20 minutes bike ride for tourists from downtown to Gilcrease.  As it stands, it probably wouldn't be wise to advise visitors to go down that stretch of trail anyway, so not much benefit to connecting to Gilcrease at the moment.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org