A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:35:45 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Gilcrease Museum to add a new center for research  (Read 14488 times)
Okie2
« on: March 06, 2010, 07:49:34 pm »

The latest newsletter from Gilcrease Museum announced an addition of a research center to be named after the Helmerichs. To me this is another example of TU doing a good job with turning the museum around. After years of stagnation the museum seems to be headed in the right direction again. With the purchase of the Charles Russell research collection, the addition key staff members, the re-opening of the conservation lab, I believe the museum is getting on a good footing to become a museum with a national reputation. Here is an excerpt of the announcement:

Building on a legacy of outstanding scholarship and research, Gilcrease Museum is poised for a bold new initiative with the development of The Helmerich Research Center at Gilcrease. Peggy and Walt Helmerich have provided the lead gift, which will be used as a challenge towards a $10 million goal to construct the center’s first phase. Additionally, we are seeking a $5 million endowment that will provide for the center’s long-term operation. Finally, we are beginning fundraising efforts for the project’s second phase that will provide accommodations for visiting scholars as the museum builds upon its position as a destination for scholars worldwide.
The 25,000-square-foot research facility will be located on the Gilcrease Museum campus, a sprawling 460-acre tract surrounding the historic home of Thomas Gilcrease and the worldclass museum that bears his name. The Helmerich Research Center would become part of the museum experience for visitors to the Gilcrease Museum. It will house the Gilcrease Library and Archives containing nearly 100,000 rare books and archives, the museum’s conservation laboratory, a state-of-the-art conference center, research offices and work areas, classrooms, a processing laboratory for electronic cataloguing and digitization of the collections, a recording studio and media production center, and an outreach office to aid in the dissemination of education materials and scholarly research. Additionally, housing for visiting scholars and researchers will be provided in a nearby complex.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2010, 07:52:16 pm by Okie2 » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2010, 06:40:04 am »

+1, tons of potential that is getting more and more utilized.  It still sits largely as an exhibit warehouse, but that's changing.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Okie2
Citizen

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2012, 08:36:57 pm »

Gilcrease museum announced June 27th as the date for the groundbreaking on their new research center. They are now calling it the Helmerich Center for American Research. This should be a nice step forward for Gilcrease & TU.

The research center will have a tunnel that will connect it to the lower levels of the museum so items can be moved in a secure clean environment. This is also where the digitation project will be done in order to start putting many of the documents online.

I also found some drawings of how the center will look and tried unsuccessfully to post them below. But I did link to them.

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/mKByAESUOEdi6j-RxEiUMtMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/2BVeMzsRqCsONg7SuLROWdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BT0TUu0P2UKACi8GrzoPTdMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/jzTlogXeWz5TBC06AGu3-tMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/zvSfYLPNtR3n2vTzn2OmVNMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/BF4X8YIKgeUKbSNwCnUhidMTjNZETYmyPJy0liipFm0?feat=directlink
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2012, 09:12:40 pm »

Will definitely upgrade Gilcrease by a notch. 

One thing that really bothers me about Gilcrease is that it's "first and last impressions", the exterior, parking lots, front landscaping and street entrances are, to be harsh but frank, horrid and depressing.  You should immediately feel like you are going someplace exciting and special.  We have a world class collection in a building that looks like it was designed as an 80's public poolhouse for a trailer park.  I do not feel proud pulling up to the property with an out of town guest, walking by the boring building, with its out-dated landscaping design before we go in.   These things do matter imo.  You all need some Disney Imagineers to put a little magic out front lol (think Disney's Wilderness Lodge as an example   ) .  Make people feel like they are entering someplace special and be excited about visiting.  One can have that feeling before getting there and hearing about the collection, but then start to seriously wonder when you pull up to lackluster and rinky-dink.  I have seen "Days Inn's" that have better entrances, landscaping, etc. and give a better looking, more enticing and exciting first, and last, impression.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 10:06:48 am »

One thing that really bothers me about Gilcrease is that it's "first and last impressions", the exterior, parking lots, front landscaping and street entrances are, to be harsh but frank, horrid and depressing.  You should immediately feel like you are going someplace exciting and special.  We have a world class collection in a building that looks like it was designed as an 80's public poolhouse for a trailer park.  I do not feel proud pulling up to the property with an out of town guest, walking by the boring building, with its out-dated landscaping design before we go in.   These things do matter imo.  You all need some Disney Imagineers to put a little magic out front lol (think Disney's Wilderness Lodge as an example   ) .  Make people feel like they are entering someplace special and be excited about visiting.  One can have that feeling before getting there and hearing about the collection, but then start to seriously wonder when you pull up to lackluster and rinky-dink.  I have seen "Days Inn's" that have better entrances, landscaping, etc. and give a better looking, more enticing and exciting first, and last, impression.

After two decades of poor management (financially) what do you expect? While TU is writing the course you can't expect much overnight. Not that they are not making there own mistakes by only caring about their own students and not other college students in the region, however I applaud what they have been able to do in such a short amount of time.

This research center will open up new opportunities for college students, and add legitimacy to the museum.

Now if you want to get some landscape design firm to donate time to design a new landscape plan, and nurseries to donate plants, I am sure TU would thank you for the contribution.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 05:13:16 pm »

This is over the top.  I took an out of town guest there in April, seeing the museum for the first time in a decade myself, and we experienced none of the horror or depression you describe.  Could the front entrance be grander on first impression?  Sure.  But the collection and museum itself still impress.

The collection does indeed impress.  But I guess we will have to disagree about the exterior first impressions.  Perhaps we just come from different perspectives.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 05:18:21 pm »

After two decades of poor management (financially) what do you expect? While TU is writing the course you can't expect much overnight. Not that they are not making there own mistakes by only caring about their own students and not other college students in the region, however I applaud what they have been able to do in such a short amount of time.

This research center will open up new opportunities for college students, and add legitimacy to the museum.

Now if you want to get some landscape design firm to donate time to design a new landscape plan, and nurseries to donate plants, I am sure TU would thank you for the contribution.

I agree that TU has already done a lot and surely can't do everything all at once.  Was wanting to point out what I see and hopefully down the road someone else might consider working on.  Sometimes we get so used to things that we don't see them with "fresh eyes".  Or we don't see them from others perspectives.  I am sure a lot of people think its just fine the way it is and thats fine.  But I think there is room for drastic improvements and wish for others to perchance take a second look at it and consider it as something that could use improvements as they are looking at what needs to be done to help make this facility truly world class and a great tourist destination as well as a research facility.   

Okie2
Citizen

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:40:43 pm »

The major issue with Gilcrease is the need for an expanded and architecturally significant building. The first impression to most any museum is the entrance. Gilcrease’s is small and unimpressive. It tells visitors that this is a so-so museum, which is incorrect but it is the first impression it gives. The grounds too could use a fresher look. It has suffered since the ice storms caused massive damage to the trees. But the harsh summers has had an impact on the azaleas as well, leaving holes in the gardens where azaleas have died. But another issue is in several areas the azaleas have over grown the space they are in and just overwhelm it. But to make the needed changes it takes money, which Gilcrease does not have. 

The thing TU needs to do is improve the image of the museum in the eyes of Tulsans and more importantly the philanthropic community here in Tulsa. But it takes time to do this because people take things for granted when it’s a local attraction that always has been there. One thing that is in the works which will help in this area is the opening next month an exhibit at the Palazzo Pitti museum in Florence. This is one of the top museums in Italy and they are hosting an exhibit built solely from the Gilcrease collection. TU is also trying to raise the image of Gilcrease by building the Helmerich research center so national scholars can come and do research on the Gilcrease collection.

I’ve heard that TU is hoping to start raising money in the near future for an expansion of the museum building. But they are probably waiting a while after completing their “Embrace The Future” campaign which several of Tulsa’s foundations gave money to. But the building desperately needs expansion. Right now about half of the museum has been shut down for several months in order to prepare for an exhibit Mt. Vernon about George Washington. But even when all the rooms are in use, still only about 7% of the museum’s collection is on display. So they truly need to expand the galleries and also add on a large room specifically for traveling exhibitions like the one on George Washington.
dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2012, 09:50:04 am »

I too think that a comparison of this building:

to a public pool house at a trailer park:

is blowing it way out of proportion. People in the 60s thought the same way about Art Deco. People today think the same thing about Mid Century architecture and Brutalist architecture. Disliking the style of a building is one thing--people have many stylistic preferences--but essentially saying the Gilcrease Museum looks like it belongs in a trailer park is hyperbole. One could even argue that the presence of the Gilcrease building inspired many other buildings in the Tulsa area. Look at most RCB Banks (71st & Garnett, Downtown Broken Arrow Branch, S. Claremore Branch) or the Technology Building (Net Lab) at NSU in Tahlequah:

Groundbreaking? No. Neither are my cup of tea, but that doesn't make them awful. And they don't look like they belong in a trailer park.

If you want to have a conversation about ways Gilcrease could improve in stature and significance, or ways the facilities could be improved, I'm sure you'll find an audience open to that discussion. Most here will agree that improvements are needed. But it's not nearly as bad as you're making it out to be. I think the addition of the Helmerich Research Center is a huge move in the right direction, and in the right way. It's not building flashy entrances in a trendy style, it's much more fundamental and crucial: research, preservation and outreach.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2012, 01:22:48 pm »

Sorry for the poor example choice.  A friend mentioned to me that it looked like a school.  I agreed.  So allow me to take back the "pool building" comment and insert, "an average, everday school building".  And I didn't mean the entrance to the building itself but the entrances to the property, the parking lots, and the entire exterior of the building including the landscaping you walk past as you go from the parking lots to the entrance, all are lackluster and not "world class" like the collection is.  This is also not a "type of style" issue, it's a "lack of flair, excitement and good first impression" issue.  Yes this is an institution that preserves incredible artifacts, does research, educates, etc.  but this is also an ART MUSEUM and supposed to be one of the cities major TOURIST ATTRACTIONS.  And as such, imo, I would hope that over time we can create a museum that better fits all of those parts.  I think this would be an even greater asset to the city if it did and I think we hamper our potential if we think its perfectly fine the way it is and don't wish to hear others ideas about enhancing or improving both its strengths or any possible weaknesses.  No we can't do everything at once or right now, but it seems like people don't even want to acknowledge that there is anything potentially improveable with the facilities appearance.  And if that's the case, nothing will be improved. If you can't bring it up without being attacked, then nobody is going to ever work to change it, even if they wanted to.   Perhaps because I can see the potential this collection and institution can have, I can see so many incredible designs that would compliment it's mission and enhance the over all presentation of the artwork and artifacts... and then see what is there... that yes indeed, in comparison, what we have now looks extemely lame.  Perhaps you don't see what it can be and thus don't see how it looks now in comparison.  I wan't the best for Tulsa and am working to do my best within my meager means and talents to make it a more enjoyable, more liveable, more proud to live in and brag about place.  I look at some, no ALL of the displays in the little museum I am working on and go "This is all SH!T"  it looks like crap.  I can see in my mind where I want to be.  People may like whats there and think its ok and that we have done a lot in a short time.  But I absolutely can not sit back satisfied, because I have a dream, I have higher expectations, and I am going to get there, step by step.  I know there are people out there who do not have high expectations, or criticize and just sit around, content with "as is".  That's not me, I don't think that works in a competitive world in which others ARE pushing themselves, (or their cities museums) to be ever better, more enjoyable, more beautiful, and more attractive, and yes to add more research and educational value to their venues.    
« Last Edit: June 07, 2012, 01:25:25 pm by TheArtist » Logged

dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #10 on: June 07, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »

No we can't do everything at once or right now, but it seems like people don't even want to acknowledge that there is anything potentially improveable with the facilities appearance.  And if that's the case, nothing will be improved.

Who has said that there's nothing to be improved upon? No one. As I said before, I think most agree that there's a lot that can be done to improve it. We're not saying it's perfect, but the view you presented as a trailer court pool house was extreme.

Perhaps you don't see what it can be and thus don't see how it looks now in comparison ...  I know there are people out there who do not have high expectations, or criticize and just sit around, content with "as is".

I can't decide if that's a thinly veiled insult, but again, I contend that the University of Tulsa and the City of Tulsa both have high hopes for the museum and will do much to improve it in years to come. And I think they're laying the groundwork for that now. But you cannot claim that other Tulsans don't have high expectations for this or any other attraction/neighborhood/cultural institution in our city just because we don't think the entrances to the museum look as bad as you do, or that they're the most important thing to change about the museum right now. Give it some time! We're just now gaining traction on a lot of important issues in our fair city.

Don't want to wait? Then organize a group of volunteers coordinated with TU and the City, and start replanting the flower beds. No one is attacking anyone here, just trying to ground the hyperbole in some reality.

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #11 on: June 07, 2012, 02:44:22 pm »

Don't want to wait? Then organize a group of volunteers coordinated with TU and the City, and start replanting the flower beds. No one is attacking anyone here, just trying to ground the hyperbole in some reality.

This.

Artist I have plenty of respect for your vision however in this thread instead of putting forth that vision you have come off as condescending and insulting. Was that your intention? I don't know, that's not normally your style so here is hoping your just not communicating well.

I think we hamper our potential if we think its perfectly fine the way it is and don't wish to hear others ideas about enhancing or improving both its strengths or any possible weaknesses.  No we can't do everything at once or right now, but it seems like people don't even want to acknowledge that there is anything potentially improveable with the facilities appearance. 

No one in this thread said that at all, I think so far everyone agrees the Museum needs to be improved in every way.

Thank you,
Robert Town
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2012, 04:31:54 pm »

Ok, read through my posts and guess I did come across as over the top with the negativity.  I think I was channeling some frustration of having this conversation before, in a more reasonable tone, and pretty much being iblown off, so way over did it to get some reaction/acknowledgement lol.  I think we are all pretty much on the same channel, except my "volume" tends to go a tentsy bit extreme on occasion.  Sorry bout that.

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2012, 10:41:40 am »

It's always been my impression Gilcrease was designed to blend into its surroundings rather than stand out.  As a result, the entrance is at the highest point of the property looking almost like a cave opening and then flows down the hill and incorporates the view of the Osage Hills from the Vista room. 
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2012, 10:57:31 am »

It's always been my impression Gilcrease was designed to blend into its surroundings rather than stand out.  As a result, the entrance is at the highest point of the property looking almost like a cave opening and then flows down the hill and incorporates the view of the Osage Hills from the Vista room. 

If that's the view from the restaurant/eating area, I enjoy it.  Good Sunday brunch spot.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org