A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 01:50:21 am
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: what are we missing?  (Read 13875 times)
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:25 pm »

You honestly can't tell a difference between "you poor bastard" and "fu** you, you piece of sh**"?

You poor bastard.  Grin

I know the difference between what I actually posted, "FU you POS", and "you poor bastard". I am a poor bastard though.  Cheesy

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2010, 09:03:39 pm »

I am a poor bastard though.  Cheesy

Thank goodness for Obama. He will save you.

Power is nothing till you use it.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #32 on: March 05, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »

Thank goodness for Obama. He will save you.
OK, now you're making it personal. Not cool.  Kiss

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
shadows
City Father

« Reply #33 on: March 06, 2010, 12:59:08 pm »

bas·tard [bástərd]
n (plural bas·tards)
1.  offensive term: an offensive term for somebody regarded as obnoxious and disagreeable (slang insult) 
2.  offensive term: an offensive term for somebody born to unmarried parents (archaic or offensive) 
3.  offensive term: an offensive term for something that is extremely difficult, trying, or unpleasant (slang) 
4.  inferior thing: something that is inferior, debased, or of questionable or mixed origin (sometimes considered offensive) 

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #34 on: March 06, 2010, 05:00:10 pm »

bas·tard [bástərd]
n (plural bas·tards)
1.  offensive term: an offensive term for somebody regarded as obnoxious and disagreeable (slang insult) 
2.  offensive term: an offensive term for somebody born to unmarried parents (archaic or offensive) 
3.  offensive term: an offensive term for something that is extremely difficult, trying, or unpleasant (slang) 
4.  inferior thing: something that is inferior, debased, or of questionable or mixed origin (sometimes considered offensive) 

Encarta ® World English Dictionary © & (P) 1998-2005 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

As usual, a dictionary completely misses the slang meaning of a term.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
rwarn17588
« Reply #35 on: March 06, 2010, 05:04:19 pm »

Let me help:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=poor%20bastard

1. poor bastard    

a guy who's in such a shitty situation that you feel sorry for him, even if you hate his f*cking guts.

Pretty much what I had in mind.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 03:15:33 pm »

Your outburst of name calling had no place in posting on a public form that should be dedicated to educated discussions of information.   The information submitted is recognized as the “common usage of the word.“ There is no indications that the definition given is limited to the gender in using the offensive word in the way that it was used.  As you further try to justify your actions you implicated by the nature of your wording that the display of animosity was not by accident.  We will make no further comments on the outburst nor the sources of information you quoted. 

shadows
City Father

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 03:29:19 pm »

Have some one read you article “1” of the MS dictionary posted as the form solely is dependant on their technology on common usage of words. 

rwarn17588
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 04:29:26 pm »

Your outburst of name calling had no place in posting on a public form that should be dedicated to educated discussions of information.   The information submitted is recognized as the “common usage of the word.“ There is no indications that the definition given is limited to the gender in using the offensive word in the way that it was used.  As you further try to justify your actions you implicated by the nature of your wording that the display of animosity was not by accident.  We will make no further comments on the outburst nor the sources of information you quoted. 

If you're wanting educated discussions on a "public form" (sic), then you had better become better educated. There's no sense in you being a public scold if you lack clarity in your posts 75% of the time.

The use of "poor bastard" was in a tone that pitied you. If I truly felt animosity, then "dumb*ss," "cucumber brain," "micromind," "pinhead," "simpleton," "Darwin's Waiting Room," or "George W. Bush" would have applied. But I didn't.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #39 on: March 08, 2010, 01:11:00 pm »

This is what I got:

bas·tard [bástərd]
Def: The fecal matter from Micropterus salmoides.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org