A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 09:26:29 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa Convention Center Competing with Local Hotels  (Read 3288 times)
zstyles
Philanthropist

« on: February 09, 2010, 02:33:13 pm »

So I was at a meeting the other day and a rep from the Tulsa Convention center was talking about the new ballrooms that are perfect for social events, weddings etc. If I am not correct isn't there many great locally owned hotels/managed properties in Tulsa and other venues that the city is now in competition with? I understand trade shows etc, but anyone see a problem with this? Tax dollars these business's are paying going back to compete against them?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2010, 02:45:05 pm »

That's always been the case. 

Generally the hotels will cater to smaller events, so larger conventions or events which the convention center can attract could actually result in more room nights being booked.  Wevus could probably set me straight on this, but I believe with a multi-day "convention" event held at a hotel, the event room would be a loss-leader to get the captive room nights and catering booked at the hotel.  Wedding receptions, etc. rarely, if ever, will wind up at the Convention Center.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2010, 02:53:57 pm »

I am part of a group planning a non-profit banquet. We have used local hotels each of the last ten years and asked the Convention Center to submit a proposal.

We spoke to our biggest sponsors and they really liked the idea of using the Convention Center this year.

Yes. The Convention Center is in competition with area hotels. LaFortune Park golf course is in competition with Southern Hills and Aquafina competes with tap water. 

Power is nothing till you use it.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2010, 09:19:58 pm »

So I was at a meeting the other day and a rep from the Tulsa Convention center was talking about the new ballrooms that are perfect for social events, weddings etc. If I am not correct isn't there many great locally owned hotels/managed properties in Tulsa and other venues that the city is now in competition with? I understand trade shows etc, but anyone see a problem with this? Tax dollars these business's are paying going back to compete against them?

You're definitely correct:  there are many great locally owned hotels here in town, and the Convention Center goes up against each one of us when we're looking for business.  The CC books space just like the rest of us do, and so, yes, will compete for things like RM's non profit gala.  I've competed against the CC on a number of different events:  a couple of different faith-based events, a quinceanera, a statewide career counseling convention, and a number of other large (and small!) pieces of business. 

But we don't compete on completely equal ground.  The CC doesn't any rooms attached, so by necessity must have several hundred guestrooms nearby to support the business it can attract.  It has to work closely with those privately owned entities (the Mayo, the new Holiday Inn, the Crowne, the Doubletree DT) that offer the other half of the convention equation. 

No other hotel in town, however, offers as much meeting space as they can (as a comparison, their exhibit hall alone offers more than double all the space in my hotel).  As we've been discussing in other threads, that's a major component to attract citywide events with thousands of attendants.  My property (as another for instance) could probably max itself out with a convention of two thousand people, depending on their program. Again, the CC can do events several times that size.  Of course, having the rooms the complement that is another matter.  But at least the first part of the equation is there. 

If, in exchange for that, all of us hoteliers have to put up with the CC occasionally poaching a banquet here or a benefit there, it's a very minor price to pay for the big events the CC brings in. 

BTW, the folks at the CC are really top notch.  I was just at a conference with the DOS of the CC, and she's a really smart, experienced woman who's a very solid advocate for Tulsa as a whole and not just the properties near her.  She's really impressive, and I hope for Tulsa's sake that she sticks around. 

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2010, 09:51:28 pm »

I don't know how good the catering is going to be at the Convention Center. I haven't been to a sit-down dinner there yet.

If the food is important, I think the Rennaissance is by far the best. If you want a classy place, I would choose the Mayo. If you want to bring in out-of-towners and show off downtown, go with the Crowne Plaza.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Vision 2025
Philanthropist

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 10:37:37 am »

I don't know how good the catering is going to be at the Convention Center. I haven't been to a sit-down dinner there yet.

If the food is important, I think the Rennaissance is by far the best. If you want a classy place, I would choose the Mayo. If you want to bring in out-of-towners and show off downtown, go with the Crowne Plaza.
Michael, the food samples presented at the ribbon cutting event were amayzing!

Vision 2025 Program Director - know the facts, www.Vision2025.info
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 11:04:47 am »

The CC is managed by SMG, the folks who are also managing the BOK Center.  They do a pretty bang-up job, I have to say and that includes making sure the catering is up to par.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org