A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 11:52:27 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Jumper.  (Read 3666 times)
DolfanBob
City Father

« on: December 11, 2014, 10:22:26 am »

I know that a lot of you on here work Downtown. Just curious if your daily routine was affected by this incident that took place yesterday?
Back when my Father was a Homicide Detective. He showed me pictures of people who had jumped from the Mayo Hotel.
I know that it has roof top dining and a place for party gatherings. But my question is. Is the roof just available to anyone who wants to stroll up there and take their life?
I would think you would need some kind of permission or be a guest of the Hotel to obtain access. I have never been to the Mayo so I do not know the criteria for access. Some type of railing should be installed to keep this from happening again.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/man-sends-text-message-to-wife-jumps-to-death-from/article_a5c6850e-9cb9-5c92-8b1e-46d0109f1ce9.html

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2014, 10:34:00 am »

I know that a lot of you on here work Downtown. Just curious if your daily routine was affected by this incident that took place yesterday?
Back when my Father was a Homicide Detective. He showed me pictures of people who had jumped from the Mayo Hotel.
I know that it has roof top dining and a place for party gatherings. But my question is. Is the roof just available to anyone who wants to stroll up there and take their life?
I would think you would need some kind of permission or be a guest of the Hotel to obtain access. I have never been to the Mayo so I do not know the criteria for access. Some type of railing should be installed to keep this from happening again.

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/crimewatch/man-sends-text-message-to-wife-jumps-to-death-from/article_a5c6850e-9cb9-5c92-8b1e-46d0109f1ce9.html

Father wasn't Roy Hunt was he...?

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
rebound
City Father

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2014, 10:53:31 am »

There is a rooftop bar that is public to everyone, not just hotel guests.   And the outdoor area already has a very high wall/railing around it.  (Jut Google "Mayo rooftop bar" and look at the images)  This was a determined individual.

It would be difficult, if not impossible, to keep a determined jumper from doing this unless you closed the rooftop all together.  And really, the jumper would find another way to kill themselves regardless.  

Also,  the Mayo rooftop bar is one of the coolest (figuratively and literally) places in town on a Summer evening.   You should check it out.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2014, 10:55:45 am by rebound » Logged

DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2014, 11:12:01 am »

I knew they had a cool hang out after One Republic made a impromptu visit after their show a couple years back. I may have to do just that rebound.

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2014, 12:28:03 pm »

The only way in which my daily routine was changed was by seeing emergency vehicles at that intersection for a few hours.

The rooftop of the Mayo is open to the public WHEN the bar is open to the public.  That is to say, not a private function and not simply closed.  It usually closed, I believe nights when there are events as well as Friday and Saturday nights is when it is open.  So it is strange that someone could get up there.

That said, there are high and think concrete walls all the way around.  I'm 6' tall and have to crane my neck to see over them comfortably. A person would have to either be a worker fixing something on the outside of the wall, a total idiot (like, stand on the wall to show off idiot), or a determined suicide. Sad for the family.  Glad he didn't land on anyone and that no one had to witness it.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org