A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:18:41 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Tulsa officer suspended after pub incident  (Read 30094 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: February 06, 2010, 10:22:11 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=298&articleid=20100206_298_0_ATulsa99220

Tulsa officer suspended after pub incident

By Deon J. Hampton, World staff writer
Published: 2/6/2010 

A Tulsa police officer has been placed on paid suspension following an incident at a downtown pub during which he reportedly brandished a gun and threatened to kill a security guard. Officer Thomas Fees, 32, was booked into the Tulsa Jail on complaints of pointing a dangerous weapon and carrying a firearm while intoxicated.

Management at Oscar’s Gastro Pub, 1738 S. Boston Ave., said Fees was drinking cocktails at the bar when, at about 1:15 a.m. Saturday, he began grabbing a woman. After being repeatedly asked by the woman’s boyfriend to stop, the officer cursed at the man and identified himself as a police officer, witnesses said. An argument ensued between the officer and the woman’s boyfriend, management said, and security guards asked Fees to leave multiple times before forcing him out.

Once outside, the officer reportedly drew his gun and pointed it at one of the security guards, a black man.
The officer then told patrons, “If you don’t move, I’ll kill that n-----,” witnesses said. Management said the officer then went to Mercury Lounge, a bar across the street, where he was subsequently arrested by Tulsa police.

Capt. Karen Tipler said Saturday night that Fees is on paid suspension pending further investigation.

How embarrassing for the officer and the department. It will be interesting to see how the new polce chief deals with this officer. It might be time for one of the laid officers to get re-hired.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2010, 10:25:21 pm »

There are bad apples everywhere.  I think it reflects more on the individual that the TPD.  How the TPD handles it will be important to public perception.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2010, 10:32:36 pm »

I totally agree.

They have already suspended the officer and will conduct an investigation. I trust they will deal with him appropriately.

Grabbing at a woman repeatedly, pulling a gun while drunk and using racial slurs should warrant some pretty stiff penalties in my book.

Power is nothing till you use it.
YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2010, 10:53:31 pm »

Investigations are too bureaucratic if they can't just get a consensus among the multiple eyewitnesses and immediately have grounds to fire this a-hole (assuming the report is true).  Instead, he is on suspension, aka a free vacation.  There have to be dozens of laid off officers who could really use his job right now.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2010, 11:02:32 pm »

Investigations are too bureaucratic if they can't just get a consensus among the multiple eyewitnesses and immediately have grounds to fire this a-hole (assuming the report is true).  Instead, he is on suspension, aka a free vacation.  There have to be dozens of laid off officers who could really use his job right now.

Like it or not, innocent until proven guilty.

YoungTulsan
City Father

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2010, 11:06:42 pm »

Like it or not, innocent until proven guilty.

Yes, for the criminal charges.  As far as conduct, you nor I could pull a gun on someone, call them the n-word, and identify ourselves as an employee of our company in front of a crowd of people and keep our jobs.  You would be in the bosses office at the next possible moment getting fired.  Not collecting a paycheck during an investigation.

patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2010, 11:09:25 pm »

Once outside, the officer reportedly drew his gun and pointed it at one of the security guards, a black man.

Had the security guards used the same standard of conduct police use, the man would be dead, and the DA would rubberstamp "justified" on the case.

Now, we have been down this road before:

“We have had incidents in the past when off duty law enforcement attended one of our events and did partake of the adult beverages.”

Tulsa Fraternal Order of Police President Phil Evans stated in response to the (BOK Center's concerns about off-duty officers drinking with guns) , “I am deeply concerned about this change at the BOK Center for several reasons.  First and most importantly, the safety of the patrons of the BOK Center is the Police Department, and every officer’s top priority, on or off duty.  Police Officers lead different lives from most citizens.  When they go home from their shift, their responsibilities do not end.  They must be concerned with their personal safety and that of their family if a person whom they have arrested recognizes them and would seek revenge, and they must uphold the oath that they take to defend the lives of citizens, even if they are off duty.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=14148.0

...and Fees was known to be a problem years ago:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=060515_Ne_A1_Compl41189
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 11:02:53 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010, 11:23:21 pm »

Yes, for the criminal charges.  As far as conduct, you nor I could pull a gun on someone, call them the n-word, and identify ourselves as an employee of our company in front of a crowd of people and keep our jobs.  You would be in the bosses office at the next possible moment getting fired.  Not collecting a paycheck during an investigation.

I don't think anyone has stood up for this guy as being well behaved or particularly intelligent.  I too believe that our police should be held to a higher standard than average citizens but they too have rights under the law. Then give him a fair trial and hang him.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2010, 02:45:41 pm »

I don't think anyone has stood up for this guy as being well behaved or particularly intelligent.  I too believe that our police should be held to a higher standard than average citizens but they too have rights under the law. Then give him a fair trial and hang him.

I went to school with him for two years and I can say he's kind of a redneck, but not a bad guy. I'm guessing alcohol had more to do with it than anything, but it's been 15 years since I've talked to him.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2010, 05:49:40 pm »

it's the whole PAID suspension which bothers me. Let him burn sick or vacation time. If an officer is arrested for something like this, they should not be paid as if it's straight time. It's not like he shot someone in the line of duty.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
MH2010
Philanthropist

« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2010, 06:35:03 pm »

Police always cover for their own, but under the present circumstances I wouldnt be surprised if even they are a little upset at this.  Unless im mistaken, even the cop that was arrested for dealing Cocaine last September is still sitting on his couch collecting full pay. 
Union wont allow them to be laid off.
It's what's best for Tulsa.  Sad

Once again Patric, you are wrong.  Travis Ludwig resigned at the end of January. He was about to be fired and decided to resign. 

In regards to Tom Fees, if the story is true, hopefully he will resign or be fired next week.  Mark Wollmershauser Jr. will be the next officer to be hired back.  Wollmershauser Jr. was the one of the officers that found the two year old girl in the woods with Marcus Berry and also was one of the first responders at KBEZ when the gunman was shot. 
brianh
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2010, 06:38:48 pm »

I wonder if this was his issued firearm? Police should have to check those in when they are not at work like the military does.

NAME   FEES, THOMAS F
JOB TITLE   POLICE OFFICER
Department   Police
Salary (annual or hourly)   $53,171.52

$1022 of your money every week their investigation continues.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2010, 06:44:57 pm by brianh » Logged
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2010, 06:52:56 pm »

I totally agree.

They have already suspended the officer and will conduct an investigation. I trust they will deal with him appropriately.

Grabbing at a woman repeatedly, pulling a gun while drunk and using racial slurs should warrant some pretty stiff penalties in my book.

In my book that gets you FIRED.  Anything less is a travesty.  

Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2010, 08:42:42 pm »

In my book that gets you FIRED.  Anything less is a travesty.  

I see atleast a sexual battery charge....Pointing a dangerous weapon......

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2010, 10:11:15 pm »

Salary
Pages: [1] 2 3 4   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org