A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:18:17 pm
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290472 times)
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #600 on: August 23, 2018, 03:23:28 pm »

If it works economically for them to operate at that location, its a less than ideal use, but it's their right to do so.  But if they need to expand and want to tear out a historically significant structure in the process, I don't think it should be allowed.  That's why zoning exists.  If they need a larger facility, they should relocate and sell the existing property.  I bet they could make quite a bit on the sale.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #601 on: August 23, 2018, 04:36:22 pm »

It may be in part that now, after all these years of being trapped in a dreary, drab area, blasted to rubble by "Urban Renewal", they get to work in a vibrant, interesting, exciting community with so many opportunities they never had before, that they want to stay and reward themselves and employees with a much more pleasant environment.  Pretty sure I would....

May be why 36 North moved in nearby, too!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #602 on: August 24, 2018, 08:10:42 am »

I've walked by there many times and envisioned something like The Mont in Norman.  Same for the Blue Dome.  Add some planter walls and landscaping and these could be really cool spots for a bar/restaurant. 

The Mont is exactly what I was thinking of ... along with several restaurant/bars in the ATL.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #603 on: August 24, 2018, 01:56:42 pm »

One thing I find interesting about this deal is that Lilly Architects is involved.  They have been part of the recent renovations and new GKFF projects throughout Brady.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #604 on: August 27, 2018, 11:39:03 pm »

Article in the TW:https://www.tulsaworld.com/news/columnists/michaeloverall/historic-building-in-tulsa-arts-district-likely-will-face-demolition/article_69d063ce-2531-5154-9b2a-15e53aa921b7.html

I think if they want to get the public on board they should release the renderings of what Lilly has proposed.  I still think it's sad we are losing this cool old building.  Maybe my Mont idea will happen at the Blue Dome someday..   Undecided

With significant real estate holdings in the Arts District, the Baird company has played a major role in preserving historic buildings and promoting downtown revitalization, officials said. The old gas station, however, is too small to bring enough rent to justify the costly repairs that would be necessary to make it structurally sound again, said Wilson, the company manager.

The new building, while used for light manufacturing at first, would be designed to be easily converted into three separate “storefronts,” Wilson said. Rents in the Arts District are not currently high enough to justify the cost of new construction, but in a few years, as redevelopment continues and rents increase, the Baird company wants to relocate the manufacturing operation and convert the new building into retail spaces, Wilson said.

“Manufacturing will literally pay for the development,” he said. “Believe me, what we’re going to put there is going to add a lot of value to the whole area.”

shavethewhales
Philanthropist

« Reply #605 on: August 28, 2018, 08:03:38 am »

I'm usually on the side of preservation, but the plan here seems well thought-through and ultimately very beneficial to everyone. The gas station has some history on account of how old it is, but it's not that architecturally significant. I can squint and come up with some cool looking patios that could be made out of it, but it's not like it would make or break the district.
AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #606 on: August 28, 2018, 09:41:29 am »

I'm usually on the side of preservation, but the plan here seems well thought-through and ultimately very beneficial to everyone. The gas station has some history on account of how old it is, but it's not that architecturally significant. I can squint and come up with some cool looking patios that could be made out of it, but it's not like it would make or break the district.

To each their own.  I definitely believe a cool patio at that spot would add a lot of value to the area.  That said, it sounds like this group is serious and I like the idea of building something that can be readily converted.
Herb Albert
Citizen

« Reply #607 on: August 28, 2018, 12:46:09 pm »

I've read the Tulsa world article and it all sounds fishy. First off the building is not structurally deficient. I'm no structural engineer but everything looks fine to me from the outside. I'd like to see his report from an engineer that states it is inefficient. The current owner uses the inside of the gas station for storage, you can see in through the windows! 

The baird comapny was certainly there first before all of the revitalization in the district I get that, but they have played no role in preserving the fabric of the neighborhood. All they have done is simply own real estate in it. Why doesn't he just go ahead an re-locate the manufacturing now instead of a few years down the road? I'm sure somebody would pay him a nice sum for that corner lot and do a proper development and or adaptive re-use project there. This guy is not going to want to spend the money to do a proper build out that matches the fabric of the neighborhood. In my opinion Baird is in his 90's and could care less about the money or leaving it up for retail down the road. I think it's a pissing match between him and the rest of the neighborhood stakeholders. Mainly Sharp and GKFF. Of course that is an assumption and cannot be proven. 

His manufacturing business makes oil field parts. I've been inside, they have about 6-8 guys in there barely running CNC's making small parts for the oil business (You can walk right in so long as you look like you're supposed to be there. Nobody even asked what I was doing). I can't imagine adding another 8-10 manufacturing jobs will really boost the overall tax revenue the city of Tulsa would be concerned with. And I guarantee you it will not pay for the future development. The guy let what is now Ida red general store sit for years borded up before he let that one go! He saw no point in developing that awesome storefront.

I've seen it time and time again where some developer in Tulsa shows a pretty picture of what could be built to get the public excited, then what actually gets built is a turd of a building, case in point the Cimarex building across the street from the BOK center and the Hotel Indigo in all of it's beige and brown eifs glory. Value engineering happens all the time.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #608 on: August 28, 2018, 01:54:36 pm »

All fads go full circle over time...now we are proselytizing "Urban Renewal" all over again...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #609 on: August 28, 2018, 04:27:27 pm »

I've seen it time and time again where some developer in Tulsa shows a pretty picture of what could be built to get the public excited, then what actually gets built is a turd of a building, case in point the Cimarex building across the street from the BOK center and the Hotel Indigo in all of it's beige and brown eifs glory. Value engineering happens all the time.

Apparently we're easy to please if the local paper gets all excited about a new parking garage with plastic panels lit up with color-changing LEDs.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
Herb Albert
Citizen

« Reply #610 on: August 29, 2018, 08:01:41 am »

So the board of adjustment voted to not allow the change of zoning which would have let the owner of Baird manufacturing change the zoning for that corner and expand his manufacturing operations. This does not stop him from being able to demolish the building. Let's keep our fingers crossed that he leaves the place alone. Or sells.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #611 on: August 29, 2018, 05:43:55 pm »

What is this “large mixed use development” GKFF is building between Boulder and Cheyenne?

http://www.newson6.com/story/38988643/tulsa-buildings-coming-down-for-new-downtown-development

MostSeriousness
Civic Leader

« Reply #612 on: August 30, 2018, 07:25:34 am »

On the reporter's Facebook page where she has the video clips, she posted "apartments and shops". So I guess that's the most of it
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #613 on: August 30, 2018, 09:42:02 am »

On the reporter's Facebook page where she has the video clips, she posted "apartments and shops". So I guess that's the most of it

Cool GKFF continuing to change the face of this neighborhood.  Interesting to see new development hop Boulder as all of the recent projects have been to the east.

AdamsHall
Civic Leader

« Reply #614 on: August 30, 2018, 10:52:26 am »

Cool GKFF continuing to change the face of this neighborhood.  Interesting to see new development hop Boulder as all of the recent projects have been to the east.

I think the Welltown Brewery development was a pretty cool project.  It is a very nice space.  That said, I get your point on development to the West.  This latest GKFF project has been rumored for a while.  They have done such excellent work on the other projects, so I am anxious to see the plans for this development.  Changing the face of the neighborhood is exactly correct.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org