A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 05:00:26 pm
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 292726 times)
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #480 on: January 24, 2013, 12:32:58 pm »

6 On The Move: The History Of The Brady District, Tulsa's First Neighborhood

http://www.newson6.com/story/20664446/6-on-the-move-the-history-of-the-brady-district
How many weeks is Channel 6 gonna spend devoting half of their newscast patting themselves on the back for opening a new building?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #481 on: January 24, 2013, 12:42:15 pm »

How many weeks is Channel 6 gonna spend devoting half of their newscast patting themselves on the back for opening a new building?

Probably quite a few.  It helps to self promote.

I noticed that they spoke highly of preserving old architecture and the red brick feel of the Brady district but built a building that in no way reflects that style.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #482 on: January 24, 2013, 02:05:29 pm »

According to Tulsa Tough's email today, the Saturday gathering after the Gran Fondo will be at Guthrie Green.  Should be a lot of fun.  Registration has opened for the Saturday and Sunday road rides for those of you who are considering doing them this year.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #483 on: January 24, 2013, 03:35:05 pm »

The highest rated local newscast spends precious minutes extolling the virtues of downtown (yes, in a self promotional way) and people are complaining about it?  This was an empty field next to the highway.  I think the building looks great next to the Guthrie Green and the move opens up the old location for a much better use in an entertainment district.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #484 on: January 24, 2013, 04:46:08 pm »

The highest rated local newscast spends precious minutes extolling the virtues of downtown (yes, in a self promotional way) and people are complaining about it?  This was an empty field next to the highway.  I think the building looks great next to the Guthrie Green and the move opens up the old location for a much better use in an entertainment district.

Well lookitchu.

Don't worry.  You're not alone in the appreciation of everything you've listed.

No matter what I post, they will not close up shop and leave.

Seriously though, they're the highest rated?
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #485 on: January 24, 2013, 10:20:09 pm »

The story about the Brady is one of the least irksome things they've done regarding their move. Saturday, and again Monday, it was a tour of the new building that included everything but the urinals. They've been pumping that move for months.

At least there was some substance to that Brady piece other than just 'look at us, we accomplished something great by moving.'

Sorry, I just watch the news to see actual news rather than news personalities and stations inserting themselves into everything.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #486 on: January 25, 2013, 01:32:24 pm »

RE: KOTV - I like their new building. I have no complaints. I have this one complaint: their landscaping needs some landscaping.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #487 on: January 25, 2013, 02:51:49 pm »

Let the sod take root and it'll look fine by spring.  They could use some trees though.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #488 on: January 25, 2013, 04:24:34 pm »

KOTV had a news story on Ringo (formerly my next door neighbor).
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #489 on: January 25, 2013, 11:06:46 pm »

KOTV had a news story on Ringo (formerly my next door neighbor).

The three legged wonder.  I've been called that before.

Don't ask.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #490 on: February 12, 2013, 10:36:38 am »

Tulsa's downtown development reflects pride of those involved

History, architecture lead to differences in development in Oklahoma City's Bricktown, Tulsa's Brady Arts District.

http://newsok.com/tulsas-downtown-development-reflects-pride-of-those-involved/article/3754402/?page=1

I manage to trek up along the Turner Turnpike to Tulsa about once or twice a year. Those visits are turning into revealing snapshots of how different approaches to downtown development often result in unexpected outcomes.

On my visit last week to check on progress in the Brady Arts District, I saw a downtown that had changed dramatically since my previous visit in early 2012.

Early impressions of the city's downtown Brady Arts District consisted of observations of disjointed development, a lack of a grand entrance, a lack of public spaces and too little investment by the city.

All of that has changed with the addition of the ONEOK Field ballpark, the Guthrie Green park and a nice array of new restaurants, shops, housing and a hotel.

Key differences

In past columns, I sometimes drew comparisons between the Brady Arts District and Bricktown, and was promptly chastised by residents of the state's largest city. They were right; the two districts are very different.

Let's start with what the two areas have in common. They both are among the oldest downtown business districts in the two cities; they feature redeveloped warehouses, and Spaghetti Warehouse was among the first restaurants to open in both areas.

Bricktown, however, never boasted a historic performing arts venue like the Brady Theater or a genuine heritage concert hall like Cain's Ballroom.

Most of the industrial properties in Bricktown ceased operations more than a decade ago, while industry still thrives in Brady.

One might guess that since Bricktown has a design review ordinance that governs new construction and exterior renovations, the Oklahoma City district would have the edge over Brady when it comes to new development.

That bet, however, isn't a sure win.

Consider that the new Fairfield Inn and Suites in Brady boasts an all-brick facade and a first floor dedicated to retail — urban amenities not included with any of the new hotels built anywhere in downtown Oklahoma City to date.

The Fairfield Inn, without any urban design ordinance to say otherwise, could have been built with a traditional stucco facade and suburban setback from the street.

Pride is standard

I asked Bob Fleischman, Brady Arts District Association president, to explain why the Fairfield Inn, the neighboring Metro at Brady Apartments, and other newer downtown Tulsa developments might have exceeded design and development standards in downtown Oklahoma City.

After a bit of discussion, the difference, it appears, comes down to property owners. It's a question of hometown pride and vision.

A tour of the two downtowns might lead one to speculate that Tulsa always has had the edge when it comes to pride in architectural design.

Tulsa's Art Deco heritage is well regarded worldwide, while the only international acclaim for downtown Oklahoma City architecture to note was for Stage Center. That theater, closed for the past two years, is being targeted for demolition and future redevelopment.

Such a historical comparison also is compromised by what remains of the buildings erected by the original town fathers in the two cities. Tulsa had its own urban renewal program, but it never called for the widespread demolition of hundreds of buildings that took place in Oklahoma City.

But look again at downtown Tulsa. The redevelopment is certainly a bit slower, and the comparisons are a bit challenging, but the difference in pride is beginning to show.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #491 on: February 12, 2013, 11:56:29 am »

Nice.

I sure wish we could bury power and communications lines in downtown, in the Pearl and on Cherry and Brookside.
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #492 on: February 12, 2013, 12:27:40 pm »

Nice.

I sure wish we could bury power and communications lines in downtown, in the Pearl and on Cherry and Brookside.

No kidding.

That utility-provided floodlight on the pole in the background would also have to go.  
Nothing says "high crime area" like high-intensity floodlights, and no, they aren't vision-friendly (or likely welcome in those apartments to the right).

« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 12:30:42 pm by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #493 on: February 12, 2013, 12:48:38 pm »

Tulsa's downtown development reflects pride of those involved

History, architecture lead to differences in development in Oklahoma City's Bricktown, Tulsa's Brady Arts District.

A died in the wool OKC guy essentially saying that OKC doesn't have that much if anything over Tulsa.  What I've been saying for a long time.  People here just keep on comparing us to them in a bad way, and it just ain't so.  Even during the worst of urban renewal - as Lackmeyer mentions - OKC was demolishing more buildings than we were.  It was bad enough here to be ridiculous.

Each town has things that complement what the other has, so we actually should be working that angle to the benefit of both. 

Like a high speed rail line so that people from both ends could easily, quickly, cheaply, and conveniently visit the other end.  The train ride from OKC to Fort Worth is a very fun trip (have done it several times) that makes a great little get-away weekend type thing.  We should do the same thing between our two cities so people here could share and experience both towns better.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #494 on: June 23, 2017, 08:31:10 am »

KOTV reported this week that the Brady District TIF is ending.

http://www.newson6.com/story/35720169/tulsas-brady-district-tax-reaches-successful-end
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 [33] 34 35 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org