A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:00:15 pm
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290470 times)
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #450 on: May 02, 2012, 12:08:27 pm »

The parking garage will primarily serve the BOK employees since they are losing surface parking by donating it to the project. 
Weatherdemon
Civic Leader

« Reply #451 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:03 pm »

A new parking garage 50 feet from the newly expanded giant parking garage that's just across the Boston Avenue pedestrian overpass???

That existing garage is empty nights and weekends. Plus we just added street parking along Archer in that stretch that's underutilized. How much parking do we need?

When I walk from one side of downtown to another, I've always thought of counting the empty parking spaces I pass. But then I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

Looking out my east side BOK Tower window I count 38 1/4 block surface lots.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #452 on: May 02, 2012, 07:04:46 pm »

Suburban sprawl isn't an attraction to me either but I don't point that out and "grumble" about it every time something, new restaurant etc., in suburbia gets brought up in this forum.

Every time, no.  When you do, you don't hold back.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=18206.msg214174#msg214174

Our downtown has a lot more potential to be a bigger draw for the restaurant/bar crowd.  The other night I went with some friends to some place out by the mall near 71st and Memorial, against my will I might add.  It was in the same parking lot, on the north side, where the Red Lobster and Windsor Market are.  

I could not believe my eyes.  This place was large and packed. But I was in shock most of the evening for these were young adults, people mostly in their 30s, some younger some older,,, packing this place out there in suburban wasteland, dreck.  The place was nice I grant you, wish I could remember the name, but it was a chain,,, and by the MALL!?  Really!?  These were grown up people, acting all cool, dressed up in their clubby clothes and such, hair done just so, strutting around, socializing, having a drink and listen to music.... in a SUBURBAN STRIP MALL!?  Really!?  It was just so surreal and abnormal from my perspective.  Now I remember beeing a teen and thinking the Mall and such was neat,,, but adults?  I mean here they were parking in some huge parking lot of a strip mall to go out and just down the way was the Chuck-E-Cheese and that big pizza place thing, yet somehow this was a "normal" hang out for these people?  OMG!  Grow up and go to the city lol.  Could you imagine meeting someone at some bar in a suburban strip mall?  How humiliating lol. "Come here often hot stuff?   "  But there they were packing that place in like it was a completely normal thing?  I was just utterly baffled.    

Sure, I complain about things urban when they are attempted to be applied to things suburban with an attitude that to do otherwise is criminal.  Sidewalks, dense housing, form factor zoning for an urban area are fine. 

If you all think pay for parking is an attractive attribute to an urban area, fine.  Go for it.  I would rather have a remote free park and ride lot for light rail or a (real) trolley and pay more for a round trip trolley ride than I would pay for parking after driving all the way down town. 

I believe I have been mostly supportive of urban things for downtown, except pay parking, when they are applied to downtown areas.  Sometimes I say I support something for downtown and then add that I support it for "you" even though I don't want it for myself.  Take it how you want.

dsjeffries
City Father

« Reply #453 on: May 03, 2012, 04:24:34 pm »

Sidewalks, dense housing, form factor zoning for an urban area are fine. 

Since when are sidewalks solely for urban areas? Suburbanites need to be able to walk, too...

Change never happened because people were happy with the status quo.
godboko71
Philanthropist

« Reply #454 on: May 06, 2012, 10:41:15 pm »

When I walk from one side of downtown to another, I've always thought of counting the empty parking spaces I pass. But then I wouldn't have time to do anything else.

I counted 163 the other night (last Friday around 8:30 PM) when I went on a walk, and that was on 3rd/4th and connecting side streets from one side of downtown to the other. Yet two paid lots on that route where full :/

Thank you,
Robert Town
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #455 on: May 07, 2012, 03:58:58 pm »

Tulsa World is Facebooking that the legislature "should" approve the bond for the OKPop museum.

Oh for the love of pop...I should read the whole article...it's their opinion.  Not that they believe it will happen.

Dammit.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 04:05:18 pm by Townsend » Logged
Boksooner
Activist

« Reply #456 on: May 07, 2012, 10:48:51 pm »

The parking garage will primarily serve the BOK employees since they are losing surface parking by donating it to the project.

This. We donated our parking lot. We need somewhere to park every day.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #457 on: May 14, 2012, 03:53:07 pm »

Gilcrease Museum FB post:

We're putting the finishing touches on the Henry Zarrow Center for Art and Education that opens tomorrow. The public is invited to an open house from noon-6 p.m. at the new art center located in the Brady Arts District at 124 E. Brady

« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:00:27 pm by Townsend » Logged
Boksooner
Activist

« Reply #458 on: May 14, 2012, 05:00:09 pm »

Gilcrease Museum FB post:

I think I know what I'm doing for my lunch hour tomorrow.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #459 on: May 14, 2012, 07:35:57 pm »

I just gave a downtown Deco Tour today for an art class that was from there so I guess they are already open somewhat.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #460 on: May 22, 2012, 04:33:44 pm »

Well, the OKPOP Museum (State Capital repairs and the Native American Cultural Museum, also) is now headed to the floor:
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20120522_11_0_OKLAHO192488

Panels sign off on funding for Capitol repairs; Tulsa, Oklahoma City cultural centers

By WAYNE GREENE World Senior Writer
Published: 5/22/2012  10:29 AM
Last Modified: 5/22/2012  3:58 PM

OKLAHOMA CITY -- Two legislative panels have signed off on a bond issue for the proposed popular culture museum for downtown Tulsa.

The committees OK'd a $20 million bond for the Tulsa project, $22.5 million less than supporters had asked for.

The panels also approved a $200 million bond issue for repairs to the state Capitol and surrounding buildings and a $40 million bond for the half-built Native American Cultural Center in Oklahoma City.

The three bills now go to the full House and Senate for consideration.

During the Senate committee's consideration of the Tulsa project, Senate President Pro Tem Brian Bingman said the rest of the $22.5 million to fund the OKPOP Museum will have to be raised privately. Earlier in the day, Oklahoma Historical Society Executive Director Bob Blackburn had said he hoped to come back to the Legislature for the rest of the money needed for the museum next year.

Rep. David Dank, R-Oklahoma City, said both the Tulsa and Oklahoma City projects were needed.

"We can't have the Native American Cultural Center sit there and rot or whatever," Dank said. "I'm equally enthused, if not more so, for the POP Center in Tulsa."

The Oklahoma City project has benefitted from three previous bond issues, totaling $63 million.

Edit:
I believe the OKPOP Museum is now SB1989
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 04:35:17 pm by dioscorides » Logged

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #461 on: May 23, 2012, 04:10:01 pm »

OK POP passes the Senate 25-21!  The House votes tomorrow - make calls or show up at the capitol tomorrow and show your support. 
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #462 on: May 23, 2012, 04:32:08 pm »

OK POP passes the Senate 25-21!  The House votes tomorrow - make calls or show up at the capitol tomorrow and show your support. 

that's great to hear!  my fingers are crossed for tomorrow.

There is an ancient Celtic axiom that says 'Good people drink good beer.' Which is true, then as now. Just look around you in any public barroom and you will quickly see: bad people drink bad beer. Think about it. - Hunter S. Thompson
ex-riverman
Citizen

« Reply #463 on: May 23, 2012, 04:35:14 pm »

use those fingers to call your representative!  Smiley
dioscorides
Civic Leader

« Reply #464 on: May 23, 2012, 04:41:40 pm »

i've already sent her and email, and actually got a response.

edit: she said she was for it.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2012, 04:45:01 pm by dioscorides » Logged

Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org