A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 06:14:27 pm
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290464 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #405 on: February 09, 2012, 01:08:11 pm »

I've often thought it would be a great opportunity to challenge Mayor Bartlett to Ride the bus/Cycle for one week to give him a sense of what transit whould be like in Tulsa.

That's not a bad idea.  I think there's a bus route by his home at 31st and Lewis..
jacobi
Brain owner
Philanthropist

« Reply #406 on: February 09, 2012, 01:37:36 pm »

I've thought it would make a good documentary film.

ἐγώ ἐλεεινότερος πάντων ἀνθρώπων εἰμί
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #407 on: February 09, 2012, 01:39:28 pm »

"Bus rides and burning phones"?
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #408 on: February 09, 2012, 02:20:34 pm »

I've seen him on camera before, it's cring-worthy. Please see the link below from thislandpress

http://thislandpress.com/10/27/2011/dewey-at-the-dilly-deli/
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #409 on: February 09, 2012, 02:52:22 pm »

"Bus rides and burning phones"?

Winning!

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #410 on: February 09, 2012, 03:03:15 pm »

I think you made some keen insights there. Downtown isn't a neighborhood and may never be. Its the nearby areas that are fulfilling an urban urge right now. It gives you a different perspective to realize that not all young people or urban(auts) really want to live in the nucleous of the downtown, they may just like living nearby.

This is one of downtown Tulsa's great advantages.  It is adjacent/proximate to upper end housing (Maple Ridge), mid range housing (Swan Lake/Cherry St.), up and coming housing (Owen Park and Brady Heights) and entry price level with potential that needs some pioneers (New Block and The Pearl).  Living in any of those areas makes downtown a natural extension of your neighborhood.  Unfortuanately, most in these neighborhoods probably drive to work/eat/drink/recreate downtown becuase of limited public transportation options.  While high speed rail and trains from BA to downtown all sound cool, simply connecting some/all of these close in areas to downtown, TU, Cherry St. and Brookside is way more useful, feasible and cost effective.  Make the suburbanites jealous of what can be and only then will wider change be possible.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #411 on: February 09, 2012, 04:41:39 pm »

Living near downtown was/is wonderful, I think.  Long, long ago, in a galaxy far, far away, I lived on Cincinnati Pl, between 17th and 18th on what is now the trail just east of the expressway exit.  It was a very old, somewhat ragged duplex that needed rebuilding rather than bulldozing, but that's a different discussion.  Definitely not upper end housing, but only a block or two away from upper end Maple Ridge.  Anyway, worked downtown and went to school at TJC before the newness and name change.  Very seldom got further away than 31st and Harvard or east out to Matt's place at Starship on 11th - visiting friend in his little rental unit in the back was a "going to visit the suburbs" event.

Even earlier, we used to go to the Warehouse Market on Elgin doing family shopping.  Loved the way the old wood floors creaked in part that was not concrete.  They had the old Hunter ceiling fans.  Small, dark and kind of dingy, but very 'homey' feel to it, if you know what I mean. 

Even as sparse as downtown was then - going through the throes of urban renewal - there was the Savoy, Nelson's, and Coney Island, Logan Concessions for snacks, and Veteran's bar for pool, beer and dominoes.  And a few others that I can't remember.  Even some department stores left, but they were getting out fast.  May Rooms if one were so inclined - I never was, but did know some of the girls.

I (and several friends of that time) thought it was a great place to live and work.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #412 on: February 09, 2012, 06:09:02 pm »

I lived on Cincinnati Pl, between 17th and 18th on what is now the trail just east of the expressway exit.  It was a very old, somewhat ragged duplex that needed rebuilding rather than bulldozing, but that's a different discussion.

Was the Midland Valley RR still running in that area then?
It looks like the houses on the east side of Cincinnati PL are still there.  Was your place part of the IDL or just run down?  What would have been the real economics of rebuilding?  I know people "rebuild" boats, cars, and planes and have way more $ in them than they could ever expect to get back.

Even earlier, we used to go to the Warehouse Market on Elgin doing family shopping.  Loved the way the old wood floors creaked in part that was not concrete.  They had the old Hunter ceiling fans.  Small, dark and kind of dingy, but very 'homey' feel to it, if you know what I mean.

Those old Hunter fans last forever.  We have a Hunter clone, 52", 4 blade that I installed in 1979.  It's a heavy sucker, about 50 pounds.  I checked the oil bath once about 20 years ago and it was fine.  It runs 24/7/52. Still running fine.

TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #413 on: February 09, 2012, 11:22:38 pm »

I kinda forgot to post this to my favorite urban blog!  You can also see the News On 6 video at http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?S=16685889

News Release

BRADY DISTRICT LEASING TAKES A JUMP

Contact:      Will Wilkins, 918-902-0760      For Immediate Release
February 6, 2012

Tulsa, OK – In just under two weeks, Will Wilkins with W3 Real Estate, has moved to execute commitments and leases for just over 20,000 square feet of new commercial activity in the heart of the Brady Arts & Entertainment District.  These concept will build upon an already unique business base and will focus on bringing an even more diverse demographic and set of interests to an area already known for that. 

With the advent of the Brady Hotel Center that features a Fairfield Inn by Marriott, 200+ planned and completed residential units, the proximity to ONEOK Field and the pending completion of the Hardesty Arts Center, Woody Guthrie Museum and others, Brady has become one of Tulsa’s most active and attractive spots for commercial activity.  Already, 60% of the retail ground floor of the Brady Hotel Center is under negotiation, bringing with it new restaurants, retail and entertainment venues.  According to Will Wilkins, the Brady Hotel Center has just two spaces remaining; a 1,550 square foot location ideal for retail or a coffee shop and a 3,200 square foot space that would make for another new restaurant in the area.

New tenants have been found to occupy the Ward Building located at 107 N. Boulder.  “As soon as construction began on the Boulder Bridge, we were inundated with calls,” says Wilkins.  These concepts will transform the previously unoccupied, 14,000 square foot building into an entertainment complex that is capable of attracting all ages. 

“We quite literally are running out of room for potential lease tenants and are moving to convert as much existing space within the Brady, that may have previously gone underutilized, to meet the growing need,” says Wilkins.  Already within the last six months, Classic Cigars has opened their second location at 118 N. Boston Avenue, and a new lounge called Valkyrie will be taking up residence within the coming months at 13 E. Brady.   

W3 Real Estate represents David Sharp, Brady 41 LLC and some properties offered by Interak Corporation.  Together, they are the largest property owners in the Brady Arts & Entertainment District.  “That has offered us the unique ability to be somewhat picky about what we want in the District,” says Wilkins.  They are committed to bringing in new businesses that will benefit the District as a whole, while being careful to choose concepts that are not direct competitors to those that already exist in the area.  “We want to make sure everyone brings something new and unique to the area, even if it’s just a difference in the drinks they serve, the products they sell or the atmosphere they generate,” says Wilkins. 

Wilkins hopes to open additional space in the comings months and to attract new retail ventures to this growing urban district.

Will and Cecilia Wilkins of W3 Real Estate have been actively and successfully promoting downtown redevelopment over the last several years, from sales of properties for redevelopment, to concept planning and executing new development plans on behalf of downtown property owners.  They continue to broker other historic downtown structures for redevelopment and are actively pursuing real estate and development deals within the business core and the Brady Arts & Entertainment District. 

####

For further information, please contact:

Will Wilkins, W3 Real Estate at 918-902-0760

TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #414 on: February 09, 2012, 11:40:38 pm »

From a different perspective, I thought I would offer some general comments regarding the parking in and around the Brady District.  For the most part, the Brady District has sufficient parking to handle current business traffic BUT FOR a few things.  Up until now, a growing number of parking spaces around the Brady businesses have had to compete with day long parkers from the business and technology districts over the bridge taking up space that is crucial to their success.  Add to that the growing construction crews, their vehicles and the growing number of businesses that have opened or are planning to open in the coming months and yes, we do have a growing concern about future parking needs.

The ownership is taking steps to remedy any possible effect that this growth may have and working to do so in short order.  Once Brady Square park is completed, there will be additional parking available on all four side of the park.  We have also taken steps to implement 2-hour parking M-F from 8AM-6PM along main business ways such as Boston between Archer and Brady, Main between Archer and Cameron and Boulder between Archer and Cameron.  The City of Tulsa has moved to add 2 hour parallel parking on both sides of Archer between Denver and Elgin, but I think most don't realize that it is available just yet.  We are encouraging business owners and employees to park there so others get fammiliar with the availability.  The hotel will add additional street side parking around its perimeter in the coming months and David Sharp has opened the lot to the East of the Ward Building for Brady patrons. 

We will be working with the City of Tulsa to offer a unique, more long term and sustainable solution to any additional parking as need grows.  With the amount of interest in the Brady District, we are all committed to making it a success on all fronts for patrons and businesses.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #415 on: February 10, 2012, 11:07:42 am »

Was the Midland Valley RR still running in that area then?
It looks like the houses on the east side of Cincinnati PL are still there.  Was your place part of the IDL or just run down?  What would have been the real economics of rebuilding?  I know people "rebuild" boats, cars, and planes and have way more $ in them than they could ever expect to get back.

Those old Hunter fans last forever.  We have a Hunter clone, 52", 4 blade that I installed in 1979.  It's a heavy sucker, about 50 pounds.  I checked the oil bath once about 20 years ago and it was fine.  It runs 24/7/52. Still running fine.

On the east side, starting at 17th, there is a vacant lot, then south to the second house - directly across from that one on west side of road.  Underside of the place was good, and it needed the same kind of rebuild the ones on east side have had.  I have friends who lived over there more recently who rebuilt one of those and it is very nice.  Both sides were the same kind of duplex in about the same condition back then.  Rent was $85 per month, bills paid.  Was a very inexpensive part of town then - not like today.

It went for the IDL - that exit ramp was at the back of the yard - the bike trail would be right through the house.

There was some kind of old right of way right behind the house, but don't remember if there was any rail left - I think any steel was gone by then.  Or buried.  I kind of thought at the time that it may have just been an alley, but some of the rest of the neighborhood had alleys and some didn't, so don't know for sure - wasn't used as alley at that time.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #416 on: February 10, 2012, 12:00:12 pm »

Thanks for the updates, Will.

Great stuff!
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #417 on: February 10, 2012, 02:13:35 pm »

Are there any business in line for the store fronts on the ground floor of the Metro apartments (aka Tribune II)?
TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #418 on: February 10, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

Dan,

To the best of my knowledge, those spaces are still available to lease.  Steve Ganzgow, with American Residential Properties, has told me that CB Richard Ellis is handling the leasing of those spaces for ARP.  I also understand that those spaces are on average about 1,000sf in size.  I think they would be interested in looking at any potential tenant but may have geared more for the live-work potential or office set.

TheLofts@120
Activist

« Reply #419 on: February 10, 2012, 08:52:28 pm »

Just getting back in to town at 8:30 and the Brady is a busy place!  Hey Mambos was packed, as was Brady Tavern, Mexicali, Caz's, etc.  Please remember that the District is still offering free valet parking for Brady business patrons on select evenings.  You can valet park at the corner of Brady & Main, in front of Brady Tavern, and they will find you a safe and secure, nearby parking spot.  Also...remember to tip your valet!

Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org