A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 06:24:49 am
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 292811 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #135 on: June 09, 2011, 09:06:35 am »

All wood, eh?  Gotta support all those lumber millionaires in Vancouver Wink

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #136 on: June 09, 2011, 09:16:47 am »

I just hope they have good sound proofing between floors and walls or else those will be the typical suburban style apartments where you can hear your neighbors. But thats just because the majority of developers are cheap  Wink

I hope they have soundproofing for not only neighbors but for the trains as well. 

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #137 on: June 09, 2011, 10:27:04 am »

A nice look at development plans.

http://tulsadowntown.org/general/1047/planned-investment

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #138 on: June 09, 2011, 11:46:36 am »

Any idea how big the Williams/City parking garage would be?

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #139 on: June 09, 2011, 12:33:04 pm »

260 spots, don't know if that's net or not.
Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #140 on: June 09, 2011, 11:53:31 pm »

You guys are ripping it because it is stick framed?  Really?  You are just showing your ignorance on the subject is all...  Its a four story building...and do you know how much red steel costs? The economics of it are absurd for that size of a building.

Find something else to complain about, would you?

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #141 on: June 10, 2011, 07:01:37 am »

You guys are ripping it because it is stick framed?  Really?  You are just showing your ignorance on the subject is all...  Its a four story building...and do you know how much red steel costs? The economics of it are absurd for that size of a building.

Think Admiral Twin.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #142 on: June 10, 2011, 07:06:34 am »

I have done some construction and was a bit concerned with its construction myself.  5 stories and wood?  That can be a looot of weight pressing down on those bottom floors.  But that was with a cursory glance.  Was in the area last night and got a better look as I drove by.  It doesn't look like they are using 2x4's  but are using at least 2x6's for the studs, and then have doubled them up in many places.  Then to keep them from buckling, midway in the walls between the studs they have placed horizontal wood bracing.  Then on top of that it appears they are attaching plywood to both the interior and exterior walls which will make the building extremely rigid and sound.  My guess would be that they would also put sheetrock on top of the interior plywood walls, which would both help them finish it out and add some extra sound proofing between units.  Didn't have time to examine the flooring but from what I noticed of the rest it, looks like this is not your typical wood construction but is more heavy duty and will be quite adequate for the 5 stories.  
« Last Edit: June 10, 2011, 07:08:31 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #143 on: June 10, 2011, 07:28:43 am »

I'm sure it's well engineered, otherwise they would not build it this way.  Common sense will tell you though, it's lifespan will not be as long as a similar building built of steel.

Kenosha, was there anything positive you wanted to add to the conversation?

rdj
City Father

« Reply #144 on: June 10, 2011, 08:33:09 am »

I do.  I am about to build a 17,000 sq ft two story commercial office building and am choosing to use red iron and metal studs.  I want something that will last and not be squeaky when someone walks across the upper floor.  For a residential building of this size in an urban/downtown setting I expected the same.  ARG is building this just like they would build an apartment building at 101st & Memorial.  That's fine and I'm excited about the project, I just wish it was steel for the future tenants sake.  My guess is the economics didn't work out, whether it be their investors desire for more dividends or their lenders desire for a higher debt service coverage ratio.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #145 on: June 10, 2011, 09:05:02 am »

I think the TDA provided about $4M for this building (granted it has to be paid back).
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #146 on: June 10, 2011, 09:08:13 am »

Bones of this building look exactly like every other residential apartment complex built in this part of the country.  Not sure why the hubbub.  It's not popsicle sticks.  Raise your hand if you're an engineer (I'm not)...
rdj
City Father

« Reply #147 on: June 10, 2011, 09:11:08 am »

I think the TDA provided about $4M for this building (granted it has to be paid back).

They did provide financing, but it still has to cash flow.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #148 on: June 10, 2011, 10:25:49 am »

I'm not sure why there would be any concern that it's built with a wood frame.  The quality of construction is more important than the material.  If done properly and with proper materials, a wood structure can be solid and last forever.  My house was built in the 1920's with wood frames and is still solid as a rock.  Not a squeak or structural defiency to be found.  Cookie cutter suburban houses are not built of that quality, which is why they are cheap, cheesy, and overpriced.  My hope is that the Tribune addition is being built for quality.  The use of wood in and of itself tells me nothing.  In any event, it will be bricked on the outside for quality and aesthetics.  Even if built cheaper than it could be, one of the sparks for downtown residential is make it affordable for young people.  I just hope it attracts people to live downtown and sparks more residential developments.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #149 on: June 10, 2011, 02:44:50 pm »

My Wood frame cedar sided house is 102 years old this year...but it is only two stories.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org