A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 10:33:15 am
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 292704 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #120 on: May 31, 2011, 11:39:53 am »

Not too sure about that...a lot of the song places are talking about GaGa ripping off a Dean Martin song, so the kids just have no sense of history and appear to not be interested in learning.  Oh, well, kind of like The Wizard of Oz... Judy's not the first - but was the best - but the original with Stan Laurel is kind of interesting (I have the DVD).  Follows the book, unlike the 1939 version. 

Lady GaGa version, Mambo Americano, is pretty good.  Not really the same song, but she can really sing.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #121 on: June 06, 2011, 07:30:46 am »

Friday night in the Brady was hopping. There were people everywhere; walking to the ball game, dining at the restaurants, in the galleries or headed to concerts. Club 209 (I think?) had a packed patio, so did Hey Mambo (great spot to see the fireworks). Over by DownTown bar (former deadtown) on Cheyenne Ave were scores of people going to parties in the apartments and the red bricks by the railroad.

Note: I took my bike and there were lots of other people on their bikes.

I can't believe the change since I moved downtown seven years ago when I would have been one of the only people out on the streets.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #122 on: June 06, 2011, 07:37:03 am »

Friday night in the Brady was hopping. There were people everywhere; walking to the ball game, dining at the restaurants, in the galleries or headed to concerts. Club 209 (I think?) had a packed patio, so did Hey Mambo (great spot to see the fireworks). Over by DownTown bar (former deadtown) on Cheyenne Ave were scores of people going to parties in the apartments and the red bricks by the railroad.

Note: I took my bike and there were lots of other people on their bikes.

I can't believe the change since I moved downtown seven years ago when I would have been one of the only people out on the streets.

Enjoy it while you can.  If they build that new Juvenile Center on Archer the whole district is doomed...  Roll Eyes

On a serious note, "bicycles" reminded me Tulsa Tough returns next week.  Pro level criterium races in the Blue Dome Friday night, amateur and pro level in the Brady Saturday, and in Riverview on Sunday.  Crybaby Hill is starting to gain national recognition for the spectator scene. 

At any rate, downtown should have some really good crowds again next weekend.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #123 on: June 06, 2011, 08:39:17 am »

C we will be on the hill at McBirney on Sunday. Come look for us. We can commiserate about the impending doom that the juvy next the clink represents.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #124 on: June 06, 2011, 09:01:07 am »

C we will be on the hill at McBirney on Sunday. Come look for us. We can commiserate about the impending doom that the juvy next the clink represents.

Have a cold beverage ready for me.  I'm doing back-to-back centuries next weekend.  I was originally trying for "The Deuce" this year, but I'm still about 2 MPH short over 100 miles on these courses.  With favorable winds and some compatible riders to draft with, it could happen, but it's a remote chance I could do sub 5 hours both days this year.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rdj
City Father

« Reply #125 on: June 06, 2011, 09:06:10 am »

Enjoy it while you can.  If they build that new Juvenile Center on Archer the whole district is doomed...  Roll Eyes

Break out the armored trucks to transport patrons from ONEOK to their cars!

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
OurTulsa
« Reply #126 on: June 06, 2011, 10:12:08 pm »

The Shock also open their home season Friday night at Bok at 7pm. 
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #127 on: June 08, 2011, 03:03:38 pm »

I was in the Brady today and snapped this pic...it's rising fast!

rdj
City Father

« Reply #128 on: June 08, 2011, 03:05:30 pm »

Is it all stick construction?  No iron in that structure?

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #129 on: June 08, 2011, 04:16:23 pm »

I saw that over the weekend and wondered what it was gonna be.  Cheesy construction.  Building it like they do those "Value Place" hotels; pay by the hour, day, or week.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #130 on: June 08, 2011, 04:53:15 pm »

I would definitely disagree in saying it is "cheesy". I think it does a good job of blending with the original tribune lofts.

Thanks for the pic SXSW.
LandArchPoke
« Reply #131 on: June 08, 2011, 05:02:11 pm »

I just hope they have good sound proofing between floors and walls or else those will be the typical suburban style apartments where you can hear your neighbors. But thats just because the majority of developers are cheap  Wink  Overall though this is good developement, structure parking, built up to the street, and not out of context with the neighborhood, and it replaced a surface parking lot!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #132 on: June 08, 2011, 05:26:55 pm »

I was in the Brady today and snapped this pic...it's rising fast!

Better than a parking lot.  In 20 or so years "they" can build something new because that probably won't last that long.  Planned obsolescence, I hate to see it in such a setting.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #133 on: June 08, 2011, 06:52:04 pm »

Is it all stick construction?  No iron in that structure?

Yes, mostly.  It is being built like a typical apartment complex, albeit a nicer one with an all brick facade.  Hopefully the sills and corner surround is built out of cast stone and not EIFS.  I still think the pool will be in an odd place, but it does get better western sun exposure.  It will be clearly visible from the Main St bridge.  And the clock is still cheesy, would be better if there was no element there at all like its older neighbor to the east..

Renderings

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 06:55:59 pm by SXSW » Logged

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #134 on: June 08, 2011, 07:14:08 pm »

Cheesy...not the design; the construction technique and materials.

This may be the kiss of death to it, but I kind of like the clock.
The brick styling is very nice and it matches the neighborhood well.  Three stories is just too much for "2 by's"...at least for the exterior framework.

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org