A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:42:44 am
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290411 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #90 on: May 16, 2011, 09:35:07 am »

Lots of activity in the Brady now. The Philbrook section of the arts lofts appears to have completed interior demo phase. Dirt is moving in the "to be" park accross the street. Elevator shafts are up at the Tribune expansion.

From Philbrook's FB post:

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #91 on: May 23, 2011, 11:02:39 am »

Boulder bridge update from Urban Tulsa

Jacoby said depending on how the bid process goes, construction of the bridge could begin in July or August. The work is expected to take 10 to 12 months.

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38890
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #92 on: May 23, 2011, 11:08:52 am »

Boulder bridge update from Urban Tulsa

Jacoby said depending on how the bid process goes, construction of the bridge could begin in July or August. The work is expected to take 10 to 12 months.

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38890

Shhhh, don't let the OKC legislature know about this.
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #93 on: May 23, 2011, 11:24:36 am »

Red Arrow will be happy to read this part. Grin
Other factors contributing to the significance of the project include its status as a multi-modal transportation project. Stout said the bridge will be built to accommodate not only automobiles, but rubber-tire trolleys and fixed-rail streetcars, as well. It also will feature sidewalks for pedestrians.

This does sound like it'll be better than the other one-way bridges downtown.
The wider-than-normal, pedestrian-friendly promenade designed to make the bridge more attractive to pedestrians will be enhanced by landscaping features.

Cincinnati, Detroit have four lanes of traffic, plus room for two extra lanes on the outsides, with teeny tiny little sidewalks shoehorned in there.

Six lanes when two would suffice.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #94 on: May 23, 2011, 11:37:06 am »

Red Arrow will be happy to read this part. Grin

Stout said the bridge will be built to accommodate not only automobiles, but rubber-tire trolleys  buses and fixed-rail streetcars, as well.

Now I'm happy.
 Smiley

Kenosha
Philanthropist

« Reply #95 on: May 25, 2011, 08:55:21 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/site/printerfriendlystory.aspx?articleid=20110525_272_A1_CUTLIN722530

DTowner
City Father

« Reply #96 on: May 25, 2011, 12:37:55 pm »

I like the look of this project.  The article indicates they are still a few million short.  Although they had the "ground breaking" yesterday, does anyone know if they are actually going to break ground until they have all the $ lined up?
Jeff P
Civic Leader

« Reply #97 on: May 26, 2011, 09:08:51 am »

I like the look of this project.  The article indicates they are still a few million short.  Although they had the "ground breaking" yesterday, does anyone know if they are actually going to break ground until they have all the $ lined up?

I actually spoke with my brother, who is a PM for Flintco, about this project last night.  Based on that conversation, I think they are moving forward.

My guess is that they are pretty confident about securing that last couple of million...

EDIT: Just to be clear, my brother won't be the PM on this project... but he knows the guy who is.
rdj
City Father

« Reply #98 on: May 26, 2011, 09:15:22 am »

This is typical for construction of non-profit projects.  They will raise enough to build the structure but not do finish work and furnishings.  The psychology of donors is really funny, they don't see the great risk this is, but they see a project rising from the dirt and are more willing to give money to finish.

It is hard to find donors that are willing to be the trailblazer or the first donor.  That has been the role GKFF has played so well over the last few years.  Other large donors are willing to put money towards a project if their peer or a respected donor is involved.

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #99 on: May 26, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

I actually spoke with my brother, who is a PM for Flintco, about this project last night.  Based on that conversation, I think they are moving forward.

My guess is that they are pretty confident about securing that last couple of million...

EDIT: Just to be clear, my brother won't be the PM on this project... but he knows the guy who is.

Excellent.  Thanks for the info.  A walk through the Brady this summer and seeing all the activity should cause any fence sitting donors to jump in.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #100 on: May 26, 2011, 11:55:31 am »

Excellent.  Thanks for the info.  A walk through the Brady this summer and seeing all the activity should cause any fence sitting donors to jump in.

Wonder whatever happened to Kevin Stephens and his project at Archer and Main (not to mention the old Synagogue at 14th Cheyenne)
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #101 on: May 26, 2011, 12:19:07 pm »

Wonder whatever happened to Kevin Stephens and his project at Archer and Main (not to mention the old Synagogue at 14th Cheyenne)

Kevin's proposal was for Archer & Boston (south of Hey Mambo) but apparently full-through.  The hotel will be at Archer & Main and should start construction this summer or fall.  The lot at Archer & Boston is now going to be the Brady Flats developed by MetroPlains, a Minnesota developer, with construction starting later this year:

The old synagogue redevelopment is alive but still in the fundraising stage.  Kevin's loft project at 15th & Trenton just finished up and the units are for sale.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #102 on: May 26, 2011, 12:23:34 pm »

I like seeing the Caz's block consumed by the Hotel and the flats.  Hope there are no delays.  The Tribune addition is going up at lightning speeds.  The parking garage looks complete and the bottom two floors are already framed.  I would hope the hotel would go up as soon as the apartments are done since the hotel site is currently a construction site for the apartments.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #103 on: May 26, 2011, 04:17:38 pm »

This thread got me to thinking about the early comparisons between the Brady District and OKC's Bricktown.  When I moved to Tulsa in 1997, all the talk was how awesome Bricktown was and Tulsa leaders were pushing for Brady to become Tulsa's version of Bricktown.  It was amusing talk because, at the time, the Brady District consisted of Cain's, Brady Theater, Mexicali, Spaghetti Warehouse, Caz's (the bar), and the Snooty Fox.

Since then, Bricktown has continued along the lines of a restaurant/bar/sports district with the retail addition of Bass Pro Shop and a large movie theater.  In contrast, the Brady's development remained somewhat stalled during much of the early 2000s, while the Blue Dome developed seemingly out of nothing, particularly when it came to any plan from the City of Tulsa.  In the last few years, the Brady District has taken a decided turn towards the arts.  With the Living Arts Center, the Philbrook/Gilcrease/TU project at the old Matthews Warehouse and HA HA (not to mention the planned Okla. Pop Museum), as well as some small studios/galleries, the Brady District is really becoming a much bigger draw than just a place to eat, drink and see a concert or a ball game.  Additionally, the Brady has a number of offices, businesses and housing dispersed throughout.  Throw in the Blue Dome and we really have a large array of activities and venues to offer locals and visitors.

As a result, I really think the Brady District is becoming a business, residential, entertainment and tourist district that is uniquely Tulsa in a way that I don't think Bricktown is "uniquely OKC."  And I'm not saying that to start a bash Bricktown thread.  While it has been halting and frustratingly slow, I think we are ending up with a much better Brady District than anyone ever imagined back in the late 1990s when we were just hoping to copy Bricktown.

carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #104 on: May 27, 2011, 07:11:22 am »

Completely agree. In the Brady you can see a live show at Cains, Brady, HC, or Marquis. Have your violin fixed, try out for theater, buy jewelry, buy a sculpture or artisan chocolate, attend a glass blowing class, watch a drag show, stop in for a crafted cocktail at Brady, find comfort food, texmex, upscale and downscale italian, get an apartment, visit a local watering hole, visit an art gallery, walk a few blocks to a baseball game and more is on the way.

Good luck finding all of that in Bricktown
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org