A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:41:31 am
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290410 times)
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #75 on: April 29, 2011, 07:15:06 am »

Interesting.  I was recently asked to possibly paint a sign on a new business going in the Blue Dome. They wanted it to look old and worn as if it had been there from ages ago and the paint had worn off.  That "grungy old warehouse" look is, well,,, just a different type of look.  I was on another forum a while back where people were arguing about which city had the "best grunge" lol.  I was actually lamenting how we have so little lol.  There are plenty of other places in town that have that brand spankin new look, or the "Tuscan" look, etc. if you prefer that. But don't begrudge us our little bit o kewl grunge Cool  
« Last Edit: April 29, 2011, 07:16:38 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: April 29, 2011, 07:33:26 am »

I didn't say I wanted new Tuscan.  I just don't care for the run-down, neglected look.  Old but well maintained is great.  It wouldn't surprise me if I am out of touch with fashion.  I am probably influenced by my younger (sub-teen) days when we had to drive through some of the less affluent parts of Philadelphia to take dad to Phila Int'l Airport.  I still remember thinking I never want to live like that.

20 something was a long time ago.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #77 on: April 29, 2011, 07:37:54 am »

I am with you Red Arrow.

I think the old and beat up look is OK, but I think the cleanly painted and freshened up look is much better to me.

Power is nothing till you use it.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: April 29, 2011, 08:29:52 am »

What was said;

I'm no entrepreneur, but I've got some ideas for the Pawn Shop..
Basically, any retail in that space besides the pawn shop woulb be great.
I think it'd clean up great.

Any retail in that space besides the pawn shop would be great.  IOW, get rid of the pawn shop so something more "yuppie worthwhile" and/or esthetically pleasing to the sensibilities.  What if Ray wants to continue to run the pawn shop there? 

Well, I guess removal would be for the greater good....THAT is the 1970 urban renewal attitude I am talking about!

Repair of windows and some paint would do wonders, but then there goes the grunge!

I still submit there is more than enough bare land a block away to do all the nouveau-riche yuppie boutique crap anyone could stand without touching the place.  I'm thinking Old Navy.  Or Abercrombie.  Would that Tulsa have the foresight to require any new building to maintain some sense of architectural consistency to the area...

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #79 on: April 29, 2011, 08:38:20 am »

I actually find a lot of "new" stuff to be sterile and lacking character.  I believe it is more a matter of the design rather than the newness of it.

Since Artist brought up that grunge is kewl, I spent my fair share of time a dive bar in Va Beach when I was in the Navy in the early 70s.  I enjoyed my time there.  I went the first time with some friends.  It was not a place I would have gone into solo. As I got to know the other customers, some became good friends.  I got to know the owner and managers.  I even helped move and reconstruct the bar (not the building, just the part where you can sit, drink, and talk with the bartender) when another portion of the building became availalble and the bar (space available for the business) expanded. I went there in spite of the appearance, not because of it.  The EM Club on base was a nicer building but it wasn't as fun. (Except the EM Club did sometimes have topless dancers during the lunch hour.)

The point I am trying to make is that I believe downtown can have its grunge but will need something between grunge and new Tuscan (or really new anything) to get beyond a core clientele.

BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2011, 08:56:16 am »

What if Ray wants to continue to run the pawn shop there? 
Then the building will continue to fall into disrepair.
Maybe it's tough love.  The building is old enough that it should be able to take care of itself.

In my original post, I was trying to say that it'd be nice to have someone with the resources to restore the place occupying the place.    Be it pawn-shop, grocery-store, tattoo parlor, bail-bondsman, or boutique shop.

Apparently you're a good friend of Ray
I didn't mean to offend
rdj
City Father

« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2011, 09:38:25 am »

Interesting.  I was recently asked to possibly paint a sign on a new business going in the Blue Dome. They wanted it to look old and worn as if it had been there from ages ago and the paint had worn off.  That "grungy old warehouse" look is, well,,, just a different type of look.  I was on another forum a while back where people were arguing about which city had the "best grunge" lol.  I was actually lamenting how we have so little lol.  There are plenty of other places in town that have that brand spankin new look, or the "Tuscan" look, etc. if you prefer that. But don't begrudge us our little bit o kewl grunge Cool  

Was it this mural by chance?

http://twitpic.com/4r0nhg

Live Generous.  Live Blessed.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: April 29, 2011, 10:22:33 am »

Was it this mural by chance?

http://twitpic.com/4r0nhg

Close, Blake had asked me if I could do the actual signage on the brick where the banner is now, and make it look old and worn.  I said absolutely.  He may give me a call, he may use someone else, or do something else entirely.  Ideas evolve and change with these things. 

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #83 on: April 29, 2011, 11:43:57 am »

Close, Blake had asked me if I could do the actual signage on the brick where the banner is now, and make it look old and worn.  I said absolutely.  He may give me a call, he may use someone else, or do something else entirely.  Ideas evolve and change with these things. 

I was noticing that wouldnt be allowed under the form-based code, which is a shame because it could be tastefully done under the right circumstances.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #84 on: April 29, 2011, 12:21:10 pm »

I'd like to see Back Alley get a Beale Street style neon.  I'm really excited for this place.  Blues is one of my favorite music styles, and barbeque is one of my favorite foods.  Add beer, and it's close to heaven.

http://roberthensley.com/events/baseball2007/beale-street-signs1.jpg
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #85 on: April 29, 2011, 10:36:10 pm »

I'd like to see Back Alley get a Beale Street style neon.  I'm really excited for this place.  Blues is one of my favorite music styles, and barbeque is one of my favorite foods.  Add beer, and it's close to heaven.

We're still planning on the painted sign facing Elgin (we'll call you next week, William), and a very large Beale Street inspired neon on the rooftop of the building facing 2nd street and visible overhead while dining/drinking on the rooftop.

We've got an appointment in May with the board of adjustment for the neon sign. Wish us luck. It's awesome.

Thanks for caring! We'll be open soon. Hope to see you all there.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
dbacks fan
« Reply #86 on: April 29, 2011, 10:41:58 pm »

We're still planning on the painted sign facing Elgin (we'll call you next week, William), and a very large Beale Street inspired neon on the rooftop of the building facing 2nd street and visible overhead while dining/drinking on the rooftop.

We've got an appointment in May with the board of adjustment for the neon sign. Wish us luck. It's awesome.

I wish you well, and look forward to being back home again for a while this summer. Makes me happy to see Tulsans making a difference and changing the landscape down town.

Cheers!
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #87 on: May 01, 2011, 01:39:09 pm »

Love seeing all the neon and signs along Elgin.  I hope someday there will be a movie theater facing that street with a huge neon marquee, especially on the east side of the street north of 2nd.  And a local microbrewery in the vacant building at 1st & Elgin..  Smiley

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: May 02, 2011, 10:07:33 am »

And a local microbrewery in the vacant building at 1st & Elgin..  Smiley

Maybe by that time, they can brew and sell more than 3.2 piss water.  But don't hold your breath.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #89 on: May 16, 2011, 06:26:47 am »

Lots of activity in the Brady now. The Philbrook section of the arts lofts appears to have completed interior demo phase. Dirt is moving in the "to be" park accross the street. Elevator shafts are up at the Tribune expansion.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org