A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 07:28:35 am
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290523 times)
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #60 on: January 15, 2011, 09:32:06 am »

More retail is coming to the Blue Dome - today's Tulsa World reports that Lyon's Indian Store is moving to the Blue Dome District:

"Distinctive signage at Lyon's Indian Store/Tulsa Treasures was taken down from 401 E. 11th St. and taken to the store's new location at 111 S. Detroit Ave.

Co-owner Larry Lyon said the move will allow the 95-year-old Tulsa fixture to be in the middle of a more vibrant atmosphere."

Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20110115_11_A13_CUTLIN514398
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #61 on: January 15, 2011, 09:48:14 am »

I'm no entrepreneur, but I've got some ideas for the Pawn Shop..
Basically, any retail in that space besides the pawn shop woulb be great.
I think it'd clean up great.
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #62 on: January 15, 2011, 10:11:03 am »

I always walk by the big red warehouse across from El Guapo and always wondered why it sits vacant.  Is it worn down? Too expensive to renovate?  Stubborn or absent owner?

The word is that the current owner of the building is essentially refusing to sell the property. It's a cool space, but if it's not available, it will remain as it is.

Someday, those things will open up. Let's hope it's sooner than later, yeah?

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #63 on: January 15, 2011, 10:59:23 am »

I always walk by the big red warehouse across from El Guapo and always wondered why it sits vacant.  Is it worn down? Too expensive to renovate?  Stubborn or absent owner?

I've heard stubborn owner who think it's worth much more than it really is.  I've always thought that would make a great location for a microbrewery.  I've heard the same story about the empty lot next to McNellies at 1st & Elgin that is such an eyesore.  Really unfortunate, not sure what can be done though?

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #64 on: January 15, 2011, 12:06:39 pm »

I've heard stubborn owner who think it's worth much more than it really is.  I've always thought that would make a great location for a microbrewery.  I've heard the same story about the empty lot next to McNellies at 1st & Elgin that is such an eyesore.  Really unfortunate, not sure what can be done though?

Empty? That is where the contracted downtown maintenance company works out of.
Renaissance
City Father

« Reply #65 on: April 27, 2011, 02:06:01 pm »

News on Boulder Bridge, per Mike Easterling in Urban Tulsa:

Perhaps the most visible new project to be initiated in the months ahead is the replacement of the Boulder Avenue bridge downtown. The city will put the project out to bid on Friday, April 29, with construction slated to begin in July, he said. It is targeted for completion in July 2012.

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38382
TheTed
City Father

« Reply #66 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:08 pm »

News on Boulder Bridge, per Mike Easterling in Urban Tulsa:

http://www.urbantulsa.com/gyrobase/Content?oid=oid%3A38382

What do we have to do to get a bridge that's not like the other one-ways downtown. Something with a balance between car and pedestrian traffic would be nice. The other one-ways are ridiculous. Completely unnecessary four lanes of traffic with a teeny tiny little sidewalk between cars and the safety railing.

At the very least, they should make that stretch two-way for cars. It was one-way before, wasn't it? We're going for fewer one ways, so extending the two-way portion of boulder south another block is a no-brainer.

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #67 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:23 pm »

If they're gonna spend the money, why not make Elgin into an overpass bridge for people getting to and from the blue dome district to the ballpark?  I've been caught behind that train several times.  Not that it's a necessity, but I don't really see the Boulder Bridge causing much problems since you can use Cincinnati and Main just as easily.  Just a thought.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #68 on: April 27, 2011, 08:13:09 pm »

What do we have to do to get a bridge that's not like the other one-ways downtown. Something with a balance between car and pedestrian traffic would be nice. The other one-ways are ridiculous. Completely unnecessary four lanes of traffic with a teeny tiny little sidewalk between cars and the safety railing.

At the very least, they should make that stretch two-way for cars. It was one-way before, wasn't it? We're going for fewer one ways, so extending the two-way portion of boulder south another block is a no-brainer.

Is it not in the long-range plan to make Boulder entirely two-way?  I thought it was, along with Cheyenne, Main between 6th & 10th (the last remaining part that is one-way), 4th and 5th.

And I agree about the overpasses, from a pedestrian standpoint they are terrible.  And they are the main link between Brady and downtown.  Cincinnati and Detroit are currently 4 lanes of traffic with 1 lane on each side for parallel parking.  I think both need to be redone so there are 3 traffic lanes, 1 bike lane (going in the direction of traffic) and the two lanes for parallel parking.  On the overpasses it would be the same but the sidewalk could be twice as wide with street trees and better lighting on each side and still fit 3 traffic lanes and the bike lane.  I would also like to see this done on the other unnecessarily-wide one-ways downtown like 1st & 2nd and 7th & 8th.

Tulsa needs a Project 180: http://www.okc.gov/project180/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 08:15:40 pm by SXSW » Logged

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #69 on: April 27, 2011, 08:57:26 pm »

If they're gonna spend the money, why not make Elgin into an overpass bridge for people getting to and from the blue dome district to the ballpark?  I've been caught behind that train several times.  Not that it's a necessity, but I don't really see the Boulder Bridge causing much problems since you can use Cincinnati and Main just as easily.  Just a thought.

I remember seeing posts on TNF that a pedestrian overpass is intimidating because you couldn't see over the peak. An at grade crossing of the RR was preferred.  An overpass would also block views of the neighborhood.

I don't particularly agree but that is what I remember.

heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #70 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:37 pm »

BKdotCom touches on the arrogance and hubris of the urban newbies wanting to "clean up" the area.  Completely without regard to the history and variety of the area.  Flashing back to 1970 planning!!

Maybe a boutique for the pawn shop??  Yeah, there's a "Williams Tower" improvement to the area....

By the way, the pawn shop has been there since 1969 when it consolidated two shops (Rose with AAA Trading Post) that were forced out of their previous locations to make way for that same Williams Tower.  Urban renewal victims.  That shop has contributed more to the economy and financial background than any little boutique will EVER.  It should be embraced as the vital contributor that it is.  Maybe a city grant to help with some window repair and restoration?  And I would almost bet there isn't an elevator in this town that is as cool as the one in that shop.  It has hauled everything from Model T's to TV's.  From the horse and buggy age to the space age.

Rather than trying to 'change' what is already good about the area, use some of that wasted empty space just to the east and build something with a little character to match the history of downtown.

Typical suburbanites - kind of like what is happening to Broken Arrow...move to a new area because they "like" the pastoral or in this case, historical nature of the area.  Then bring their crap with them and ruin it.  Happens in urban areas, too.  "Blue Dome" - how pretentious and pure Yuppie!!  It's the Veteran's Bar!  

As a side note, that shop had some of the original movie theater carpet from the old Rialto theater on Main street.  Haven't looked for a couple years, but would not surprise me if it is still around.  Wow!  It was about 40 years old when it was moved there in 1970.  It is 80 years old now, if it is still around.

Will try to check this week and see.  Will let everyone know. (Whether you want to or not...)

Remind me to tell you about the bus repair garage that used to be on that empty lot just to the west of the pawn shop.  And maybe the "May Rooms" on first, just north of there?

No sense or appreciation of history.

« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 09:28:34 pm by heironymouspasparagus » Logged

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #71 on: April 28, 2011, 01:27:50 pm »

Looking out my window today, there is activity on the lot east of the Griffin Communications Site, west of John Hope Park, and north of the Gypsy coffee house (if it makes it easier to visualize, the lot is bounded by Cincinnati to the west, Detroit to the East, I-244 to the north, and i'm not sure what the street Gypsy Coffee house is on, but that street to the south).

Any idea what's going on there?
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #72 on: April 28, 2011, 07:26:00 pm »

Where is the "Energy America" center going?  Rumor has it they now have a chunk of property in the Brady that was donated to them.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #73 on: April 28, 2011, 07:39:57 pm »

BKdotCom touches on the arrogance and hubris of the urban newbies wanting to "clean up" the area.  Completely without regard to the history and variety of the area.  Flashing back to 1970 planning!!

Maybe a boutique for the pawn shop??  Yeah, there's a "Williams Tower" improvement to the area....

whoa whoa whoa!
did I say raze the Pawn Shop??  No I didn't
Is that Pawn Shop sacred and or have a history I'm not aware of (other than maybe having some 40yr old carpet from a different building)?
Is a fresh coat of paint sacrilege?

I have a great appreciation for the history and buildings downtown.
That's why I think it's a shame that the building is looking like crud and could be restored.

What do you think about Blake and Eliot revitalizing the Blue Dome area?
Are they taking a dump on history?
The Tulsa Club building has a history... It should remain as is?
The Pearl district?  You must be against that too.

What am I missing?
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #74 on: April 28, 2011, 08:44:12 pm »

On my recent drive around Blue Dome and Brady, I saw a bunch of buildings with potential.  Some already look cleaned up and inviting.  To me, many of them just look tired. Some are presently being used but just don't look inviting.  Some had OK paint but it looked like it was the 75th coat.  Maybe the front kind of looked OK but the other parts, still visible from the street, even at 20 mph, appeared neglected and forgotten.  A hodge podge of brick, graffiti, faded paint, boarded over window openings  and who knows what else are not appealing to me.  Faded painted on business names may be in style but not one I appreciate.  I would say sand blast them off or repaint them to look fresh again.

I like old buildings.  They have more character than almost anything new.  They also had character compared to new buildings when those old buildings were new.  If we are trying to preserve the past, make the places look like they did in their prime. I realize it takes $ and time.  Not everyone can do it all at once.  It should be an eventual goal to make the whole area inviting visually.  Sometimes 40 or more years of neglect needs more than one more coat of paint to make it nice.

I am not going to name any places because I know people are trying to fix the place up.  I just want them to know what I think would make the area more attractive.  Tastes change with age and maybe I would think differently if I were still 20 or 30 something.

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org