A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:04:34 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290456 times)
tulsabug
Civic Leader

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2011, 05:26:09 am »

Seems like a good spot for a third new BBQ place in the Blue Dome District. If that goes well, perhaps a fourth will join us.

It'd be nice if instead of more places to eat there were more places to shop. While I appreciate Boomtown tees opening up (and I did shop there for Xmas though I must say the lack of sizes cut what I was going to spend by about 2/3 not to mention the shirts were just in screwed up piles in their cubby holes and the guy working couldn't be bothered to fold them or even get up from his little desk), there just needs to be more places to actually buy things. At some point we're not going to need another place to eat.
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2011, 08:18:13 am »

It'd be nice if instead of more places to eat there were more places to shop. While I appreciate Boomtown tees opening up (and I did shop there for Xmas though I must say the lack of sizes cut what I was going to spend by about 2/3 not to mention the shirts were just in screwed up piles in their cubby holes and the guy working couldn't be bothered to fold them or even get up from his little desk), there just needs to be more places to actually buy things. At some point we're not going to need another place to eat.

I agree, or at least a couple more entertainment type places like a movie theater, some museums and or art galleries or a bowling alley. It does seem that your going to start to see a saturation point with the restaurants here pretty quick.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2011, 08:31:30 am »

I agree, or at least a couple more entertainment type places like a movie theater, some museums and or art galleries or a bowling alley. It does seem that your going to start to see a saturation point with the restaurants here pretty quick.

+1 on the movie theater.  That is the missing link downtown.  Something unique like an Alamo Drafthouse-type cinema would do really well.  The Dust Bowl will be open in a few months so there is another entertainment venue.  I also agree about a museum.  Kaiser/TCF has discussed building a science museum in Tulsa, why not build it downtown?  All of the new restaurants are great but there needs to be other development to complement them.

OSU
Activist

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2011, 09:31:50 am »

Kaiser/TCF has discussed building a science museum in Tulsa, why not build it downtown?  All of the new restaurants are great but there needs to be other development to complement them.

I love the possibility of a science museum downtown just needs to be closer to what they have in St Louis http://www.slsc.org/ than what we had previously in the Harmon science center on 41st.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2011, 09:36:34 am »

+1 on the movie theater.  That is the missing link downtown.  Something unique like an Alamo Drafthouse-type cinema would do really well. 

Perhaps someone doing a public movie showing in Blue Dome during warmer weather ala the Philbrook Museum and outside the William's center would help gauge some sort of movie need?

It's just a suggestion due to my affection for watching movies outside in the summer.

A theater downtown would be great.
OpenYourEyesTulsa
Civic Leader

« Reply #50 on: January 14, 2011, 09:40:59 am »

I would like to see something like CityWalk from Bricktown in the the Brady District.  http://high.citybrickwalk.com/index.php

I like that you can go to one place and walk around to all the different clubs, lounges, and live music and only pay one cover to get in.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #51 on: January 14, 2011, 09:47:51 am »

I would like to see something like CityWalk from Bricktown in the the Brady District.  http://high.citybrickwalk.com/index.php

I like that you can go to one place and walk around to all the different clubs, lounges, and live music and only pay one cover to get in.

There are cover charges in Brady?  I've never paid one.  Am I going to all the old people bars?
bmuscotty
Civic Leader

« Reply #52 on: January 14, 2011, 11:15:27 am »

+1 on the movie theater.  That is the missing link downtown.

Why not show movies in The Brady Theater? Get a roll up screen as big as the stage, bring in a sound system of some kind that can be moved when needed. Open up the bars and serve snacks and or food. Show movies on some nights where no other shows are scheduled.

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #53 on: January 14, 2011, 12:49:07 pm »

Isn't there a bowling alley going in now being done by Elliott Nelson? And the Joe Mama's guy was on this board a couple of months ago saying he was working on a movie theater and was close to having a firm deal on it.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #54 on: January 14, 2011, 03:08:13 pm »

Isn't there a bowling alley going in now being done by Elliott Nelson? And the Joe Mama's guy was on this board a couple of months ago saying he was working on a movie theater and was close to having a firm deal on it.

I remember Blake discussing this at one point.  That would be cool to see Blake and Nelson team up to create an Alamo Drafthouse style cinema downtown.  I still think the parking lot at 2nd & Elgin is the perfect spot for such a theater, with a big neon marquis fronting Elgin..

swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #55 on: January 14, 2011, 03:20:40 pm »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectID=274&articleID=20101024_44_D1_ULNSul441407

This article from October puts an opening date of January for the "Dust Bowl" downtown, does anyone have more info this?
JoeMommaBlake
Civic Leader

« Reply #56 on: January 14, 2011, 04:05:40 pm »

I remember Blake discussing this at one point.  That would be cool to see Blake and Nelson team up to create an Alamo Drafthouse style cinema downtown.  I still think the parking lot at 2nd & Elgin is the perfect spot for such a theater, with a big neon marquis fronting Elgin..

Working on it, though not with Elliot, not exactly like Alamo Draft House and probably not at 2nd and Elgin.

We've got a couple of projects in line ahead of the theater, but it's definitely in the shoot. We've been looking at locations, developing the concept, and figuring out the details. I can't tell you everything, but I can tell you that it's going to be really cool and unique - seriously, nothing like it that I've ever seen. Until we give people something better, however, they're going to keep calling any theater with food and drink an "Alamo Draft House" style theater. I'm excited about giving people a new way to think about their movie going experience. I've long believed that a theater was the biggest missing piece to downtown and I'm excited about bringing it down here. We also plan on paying some nice respect to the Ritz, Rialto, Majestic, and Orpheum in our design and branding. We hope to shine a light on the past and celebrate the theaters that once stood downtown.

I agree with the other posts about the retail. We'd love to see some more of that down here. We're putting a small music store on Elgin as the "front" to Back Alley. It's mostly just motivated by my desire to see some more retail in the neighborhood.

We've got some issues with land acquisition in The Blue Dome District. All the nice property that you see that's sitting empty is likely owned by someone who is not wanting to sell it. The one property that is for sale in the district is lots of $$$, but it's cool.

Until some of that opens up, we're going to have to develop where it's possible. You may have noticed that instead of the Blue Dome developing like a ripple effect, it's starting to move in a linear fashion down Elgin towards 5th with the bowling alley, Fassler and the new project next door to it. Don't be surprised if the development takes a life of it's own and becomes a linear strip instead of the previously planned 9 block square. The nice red building across from El Guapos, the Pawn Shop, the small parking lots and the big lot across from Joe Momma's are not really in play. Until they are, we're going to have to do something a little different with the development path.

Tulsa bug, thanks for the business. Sorry we didn't have the sizes you were looking for at Boomtown. We were pretty busy during December and had some trouble keeping up with the demand. Now that we've done it once, we'll be better prepared for next December.

Thanks to all for your support. Your continued interest and enthusiasm for downtown, and for new and unique development in general, will continue to play a vital role in our city's progress.

"Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood and probably will not themselves be realized."
- Daniel Burnham

http://www.joemommastulsa.com
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #57 on: January 14, 2011, 04:15:28 pm »

Blake, thank you for taking the risk to bring businesses that people want to patronize in the Blue Dome.  It's much appreciated!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #58 on: January 14, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »

Working on it, though not with Elliot, not exactly like Alamo Draft House and probably not at 2nd and Elgin.

We've got a couple of projects in line ahead of the theater, but it's definitely in the shoot. We've been looking at locations, developing the concept, and figuring out the details. I can't tell you everything, but I can tell you that it's going to be really cool and unique - seriously, nothing like it that I've ever seen. Until we give people something better, however, they're going to keep calling any theater with food and drink an "Alamo Draft House" style theater. I'm excited about giving people a new way to think about their movie going experience. I've long believed that a theater was the biggest missing piece to downtown and I'm excited about bringing it down here. We also plan on paying some nice respect to the Ritz, Rialto, Majestic, and Orpheum in our design and branding. We hope to shine a light on the past and celebrate the theaters that once stood downtown.

I agree with the other posts about the retail. We'd love to see some more of that down here. We're putting a small music store on Elgin as the "front" to Back Alley. It's mostly just motivated by my desire to see some more retail in the neighborhood.

We've got some issues with land acquisition in The Blue Dome District. All the nice property that you see that's sitting empty is likely owned by someone who is not wanting to sell it. The one property that is for sale in the district is lots of $$$, but it's cool.

Until some of that opens up, we're going to have to develop where it's possible. You may have noticed that instead of the Blue Dome developing like a ripple effect, it's starting to move in a linear fashion down Elgin towards 5th with the bowling alley, Fassler and the new project next door to it. Don't be surprised if the development takes a life of it's own and becomes a linear strip instead of the previously planned 9 block square. The nice red building across from El Guapos, the Pawn Shop, the small parking lots and the big lot across from Joe Momma's are not really in play. Until they are, we're going to have to do something a little different with the development path.

Tulsa bug, thanks for the business. Sorry we didn't have the sizes you were looking for at Boomtown. We were pretty busy during December and had some trouble keeping up with the demand. Now that we've done it once, we'll be better prepared for next December.

Thanks to all for your support. Your continued interest and enthusiasm for downtown, and for new and unique development in general, will continue to play a vital role in our city's progress.

Great to hear.  If you couldn't acquire the lot at SE corner of 2nd & Elgin the KOTV property at 3rd & Elgin (which presumably will be up for sale once their new Brady building is finished) would be a great spot.  Also the parking lot at the NE corner of 3rd & Elgin.  I personally like that Blue Dome is developing more in a linear fashion down Elgin...just wish there were was a nicer streetscape south of 3rd and more street trees..
« Last Edit: January 14, 2011, 04:31:04 pm by SXSW » Logged

DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #59 on: January 14, 2011, 04:44:15 pm »

I always walk by the big red warehouse across from El Guapo and always wondered why it sits vacant.  Is it worn down? Too expensive to renovate?  Stubborn or absent owner?
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org