A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:42:38 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Brady District  (Read 290447 times)
OurTulsa
« on: February 05, 2010, 09:16:47 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100205_16_A12_Thenew634266

Brady District unveils its part for PlaniTulsa
The centerpiece of the district's plan is an $8 million park project.

By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
Published: 2/5/2010  4:10 AM
Last Modified: 2/5/2010  5:06 AM

Read the complete Brady Arts District small-area plan.

The new comprehensive plan working its way through the approval process is all about a grand vision for the city of Tulsa.

But to realize that vision, city officials know that development will have to be done piece by piece in the form of small-area plans. Thursday night, the Brady Arts District threw its hat into the ring.

"Because PlaniTulsa (the comprehensive plan) is going to have to provide the big picture, this plan is going to say what we can have here down at the neighborhood level," Theron Warlick, a planner with the city of Tulsa, said at a public unveiling of the district's small-area plan.

About 200 people showed up for the event, held at Living ArtsSpace, 307 E. Brady St., just a few steps from the new ONEOK Field.

The juxtaposition was not lost on Steve Ganzkow, a principal of the American Residential Group, who said the ballpark and the BOK Center aren't the only developments Tulsans can expect to see in or near the district.

"I can tell you that there is at least $100 million in new projects that are shovel-ready that are going to happen in the next two years," he said.

The centerpiece of the plan is a park that is to be built on the current site of the Central Freight Lines parking lot, bordered by Brady and Cameron streets and Boston and Cincinnati avenues.

The $8 million park project will be funded by the George Kaiser Family Foundation and will include a pavilion, water features and other amenities.

"At the end of June of this year, you will see all the Central Freight trucks start to exit Brady," Jeff Stava, chairman of the Tulsa Industrial Authority, told the audience.

But before the park is created above ground, $5 million will be spent to create an underground geothermal well field and distribution system.

That project is being paid for with federal stimulus funds that are being matched by the Kaiser Foundation.

When completed in 2011, it will provide hot and cold air for the Mathews Warehouse, a building purchased by the city and the foundation to house art-related activities.

Perhaps the most immediate impact of the plan will be seen on the streets.

Stava said that over the next 18 months, 600 trees and 250 dark-sky-friendly LED lights will be put in place in the Brady and neighboring Greenwood districts. Some are coming soon.

"The streetscaping plan will be unveiled around the ballpark" beginning next month, he said.

That would be sooner than the small-area plan itself is in place.

The Planning Commission must approve the plan, and the City Council must adopt it, before it is official, a process that could take months.

Kevin Canfield 581-8313
kevin.canfield@tulsaworld.com
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 10:31:57 am »

250 dark-sky-friendly LED lights will be put in place in the Brady and neighboring Greenwood districts. Some are coming soon.

Now they have me curious, because the Brady District was so gung-ho for eye-unfriendly Acorn lights the last time money was being passed around.
It would be interesting to see what they decided upon, (since I hadnt heard they were even considering it).

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2010, 10:31:59 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100205_16_A12_Thenew634266

Brady District unveils its part for PlaniTulsa
The centerpiece of the district's plan is an $8 million park project.

By KEVIN CANFIELD World Staff Writer
Published: 2/5/2010  4:10 AM
Last Modified: 2/5/2010  5:06 AM

Read the complete Brady Arts District small-area plan.

The new comprehensive plan working its way through the approval process is all about a grand vision for the city of Tulsa.

But to realize that vision, city officials know that development will have to be done piece by piece in the form of small-area plans. Thursday night, the Brady Arts District threw its hat into the ring.

"Because PlaniTulsa (the comprehensive plan) is going to have to provide the big picture, this plan is going to say what we can have here down at the neighborhood level," Theron Warlick, a planner with the city of Tulsa, said at a public unveiling of the district's small-area plan.

About 200 people showed up for the event, held at Living ArtsSpace, 307 E. Brady St., just a few steps from the new ONEOK Field.

The juxtaposition was not lost on Steve Ganzkow, a principal of the American Residential Group, who said the ballpark and the BOK Center aren't the only developments Tulsans can expect to see in or near the district.

"I can tell you that there is at least $100 million in new projects that are shovel-ready that are going to happen in the next two years," he said.

The centerpiece of the plan is a park that is to be built on the current site of the Central Freight Lines parking lot, bordered by Brady and Cameron streets and Boston and Cincinnati avenues.

The $8 million park project will be funded by the George Kaiser Family Foundation and will include a pavilion, water features and other amenities.

"At the end of June of this year, you will see all the Central Freight trucks start to exit Brady," Jeff Stava, chairman of the Tulsa Industrial Authority, told the audience.

But before the park is created above ground, $5 million will be spent to create an underground geothermal well field and distribution system.

That project is being paid for with federal stimulus funds that are being matched by the Kaiser Foundation.

When completed in 2011, it will provide hot and cold air for the Mathews Warehouse, a building purchased by the city and the foundation to house art-related activities.

Perhaps the most immediate impact of the plan will be seen on the streets.

Stava said that over the next 18 months, 600 trees and 250 dark-sky-friendly LED lights will be put in place in the Brady and neighboring Greenwood districts. Some are coming soon.

"The streetscaping plan will be unveiled around the ballpark" beginning next month, he said.

That would be sooner than the small-area plan itself is in place.

The Planning Commission must approve the plan, and the City Council must adopt it, before it is official, a process that could take months.

Kevin Canfield 581-8313
kevin.canfield@tulsaworld.com

Any word on the new KOTV building next door?
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2010, 10:40:30 am »

I found that quote interesting.  Does that include the two new parks (the one mentioned in the article and the John Hope Franklin Memorial Park), as well as the Matthews Warehouse/Living Arts Center, the proposed Pops museum, the Tribune Lofts, the lofts at Detroit & Brady, and the streetscaping?

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2010, 10:45:09 am »

Any word on the new KOTV building next door?

First a smart a$$ answer from watching KOTV news...I think they're building it in OKC.

Second, I'm happy to see any of this.  The park development and funding from the Kaiser Foundation is fantastic.

Since I never know how this stuff works, why will it take months for approval from the planning commission and the council?
HeyMambo
Citizen

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2010, 11:04:00 am »

From what I've heard from the property owners, is that KOTV is rebidding the project and should have a answer by the fall of this year on when construction should start on their new studio.

Check out the new website for The Brady Arts District, www.thebradyartsdistrict.com
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010, 11:21:00 am »

First a smart a$$ answer from watching KOTV news...I think they're building it in OKC.

I second that, KOTV's news has gone WAY downhill since it became a branch of the OKC station. I watch them much less than when it was a fully independent station.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2010, 12:45:40 pm »

KOTV project was dead as of Sunday. (That's when their contract on the land expired)

If I was a developer that land would be very attractive. You could put a mid-range hotel there facing the park and use the area behind to build a small parking structure, maybe only one deck over a surface lot. With not hotels north of the tracks you would automatically get the travelling baseball teams, people coming for concerts, etc. I would also build it so only the front desk is on the first floor and have the rest of the floor leasable to retail.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2010, 01:45:53 pm »

KOTV project was dead as of Sunday. (That's when their contract on the land expired)

If I was a developer that land would be very attractive. You could put a mid-range hotel there facing the park and use the area behind to build a small parking structure, maybe only one deck over a surface lot. With not hotels north of the tracks you would automatically get the travelling baseball teams, people coming for concerts, etc. I would also build it so only the front desk is on the first floor and have the rest of the floor leasable to retail.

Is KOTV not still located at 3rd & Elgin?  Are they simply staying there or will they not have a local presence at all? 

Your idea about the hotel is a good one, if not that site then the east side of the park with the main entrance on Brady between Cincinnati and Detroit (near Spaghetti Warehouse).

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2010, 03:35:37 pm »

Is KOTV not still located at 3rd & Elgin?  Are they simply staying there or will they not have a local presence at all? 

Your idea about the hotel is a good one, if not that site then the east side of the park with the main entrance on Brady between Cincinnati and Detroit (near Spaghetti Warehouse).

3rd & Frankfort to be more exact.  They consolidated some management and other admin/graphic functions to their OKC sister station a while back.  I think it's more or less a skeleton crew in Tulsa these days.  On-air personalities, reporters and whatever is needed to run the building, but that's it.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2010, 03:39:12 pm »

Their chickadees are getting long in the tooth too....
dsjeffries
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:09 pm »

According to a very reliable source, they are still in negotiations to start construction and finalize the details, but are waiting to save on construction costs since prices have been falling.

And they're not a "skeleton" of the OKC station. They still have two news teams, and recently hired a morning content director to focus just on the AM and Noon shows so the PM Content Director can focus just on the evening shows.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2010, 04:33:47 pm »

According to a very reliable source, they are still in negotiations to start construction and finalize the details, but are waiting to save on construction costs since prices have been falling.

Ah.. the good 'ol 1st street lofts defense.
Nik
Philanthropist

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2010, 04:46:15 pm »

I second that, KOTV's news has gone WAY downhill since it became a branch of the OKC station. I watch them much less than when it was a fully independent station.

Thats reflected in the latest numbers. KOTV saw declines this past year: http://www.tulsaworld.com/scene/article.aspx?subjectID=275&articleID=20100203_275_D5_JayLen188564
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2010, 04:46:54 pm »

Ah.. the good 'ol 1st street lofts defense.

When does the city take possession of that little property for Sager's massive failure?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 43   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org