A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:53:42 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Your. . .Hmm. . . I mean OUR Retirement  (Read 8002 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« on: February 03, 2010, 08:16:44 am »

Cat's out of the bag now.  He hinted in the state of the union about government takeover of retirement funds, now the requests are being made to determine how the federal government can fund it’s deficits by developing annuities from your retirement funds.

Brash!  They didn’t even wait until no one was looking. 

First Request for Information
http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/default/files/2010-02028_PI.pdf

IMPORTANT LANGUAGE
"The Agencies are considering whether it would be appropriate for them to take future steps to facilitate access to, and use of, lifetime income or other arrangements designed to provide a stream of income after retirement."

Removed double link.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:47:39 am by Gaspar » Logged

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
FOTD
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2010, 11:52:29 am »

So, you have an issue with the government protecting retirement funds from the corporations that will use them to shore up their balance sheets to continue their heist of America. Classic.

So schmoe, what do you think the Union bosses response will be?
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2010, 01:45:03 pm »

So, you have an issue with the government protecting retirement funds from the corporations that will use them to shore up their balance sheets to continue their heist of America. Classic.

So schmoe, what do you think the Union bosses response will be?

For most people retirement funds ARE investments in corporations.  Don't take away my freedom to invest in my future under the guise of protecting me.

I don't see how even you can defend this?  Borrowing from every American’s future to expand government?

FOTD
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2010, 01:57:18 pm »

For most people retirement funds ARE investments in corporations.  Don't take away my freedom to invest in my future under the guise of protecting me.

I don't see how even you can defend this?  Borrowing from every American’s future to expand government?

You missed the point....are you familiar with ERISA?

There's no problem in investing in equities....just the kind that swindle the retiree under the guise of protecting their interest. Beware of fat cat execs in a bind over their jobs. execs often prioritize their situation over the retiree/employee security.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2010, 04:25:33 pm »

You missed the point....are you familiar with ERISA?

There's no problem in investing in equities....just the kind that swindle the retiree under the guise of protecting their interest. Beware of fat cat execs in a bind over their jobs. execs often prioritize their situation over the retiree/employee security.

Are you serious? You really think this new proposal is about government protecting our retirement money from corporations? My read of Gasman's red language is the government wants its hands on our money.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2010, 04:58:25 pm »

Brash is a good word for it, perhaps and understatement.

FOTD, send them all your investment capital and I'll follow suit just as soon as you do.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2010, 07:16:50 pm »

Are you serious? You really think this new proposal is about government protecting our retirement money from corporations? My read of Gasman's red language is the government wants its hands on our money.

Uh, which would be worse....the government or the banksters?
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2010, 08:10:35 pm »

Uh, which would be worse....the government or the banksters?

How about neither. Remember ERISA? That's what protects us from corps. What statute will protect us from government?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2010, 08:47:32 pm »

Did, uh, any of you read the RFI?  When, as Gassy says, the doc says:

"The Agencies are considering whether it would be appropriate for them to take future steps to facilitate access to, and use of, lifetime income or other arrangements designed to provide a stream of income after retirement."

the people who should have access to, and use of lifetime income, are the ACCOUNT HOLDERS, not the RAPACIOUS GOVERNMENT. 

So, in other words, this doc is looking for input as to how to let retirees have the money that they've been saving.  Do they let you have one lump sum all at once or do they, as the doc argues, set their accounts to pay out, as an annuity would, over time. 

Gassy, I'm getting worried about you.  You're spooked, obviously.  Jumping at shadows, extrapolating rather wildly.  I'd suggest checking your data input streams.  I think you're being fed incorrect information. 
FOTD
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2010, 09:26:59 pm »

the people who should have access to, and use of lifetime income, are the ACCOUNT HOLDERS, not the RAPACIOUS GOVERNMENT. 

So, in other words, this doc is looking for input as to how to let retirees have the money that they've been saving.  Do they let you have one lump sum all at once or do they, as the doc argues, set their accounts to pay out, as an annuity would, over time. 

Gassy, I'm getting worried about you.  You're spooked, obviously.  Jumping at shadows, extrapolating rather wildly.  I'd suggest checking your data input streams.  I think you're being fed incorrect information. 

" So, in other words, this doc is looking for input as to how to let retirees have the money that they've been saving.  Do they let you have one lump sum all at once or do they, as the doc argues, set their accounts to pay out, as an annuity would, over time. " Don't they have these rights already?

" "The Agencies are considering whether it would be appropriate for them to take future steps to facilitate access to, and use of, lifetime income or other arrangements designed to provide a stream of income after retirement." Seems to imply flexibility as opposed to rigidity. The language seems devious. Take it from a demon.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2010, 07:58:54 am »

No, that is not how it is written.  Not at all.  That is not the purpose of the inquiry. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2010, 09:35:51 am »

Trusting my retirement money to any entity which is $12 Trillion in debt, and spending over a trillion more than it is taking in every year would be considered incredibly risky and downright stupid under any circumstance.

Why so much trust in the government?

I really don't give two shits where the deficit spending started.  All I know is the current administration and current Congress are doing nothing to stem this alarming trend.  They keep thinking a bigger government is the proper solution, and the problem is, they long ago ran out of money to sustain it.  I'll be damned if I'd trust them to "protect" my retirement funds.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2010, 09:49:07 am »

Not this SH!T again....

Look, the government can print itself out of this mess over the next 100 years to keep capitalism afloat.

What's with you whiners?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2010, 09:53:35 am »

Not this SH!T again....

Look, the government can print itself out of this mess over the next 100 years to keep capitalism afloat.

What's with you whiners?

Right up until the point that other nations who hold our debt decide they don't want to be holding debt for a nation with a worthless over-printed currency.

FOTD
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2010, 10:09:01 am »

Right up until the point that other nations who hold our debt decide they don't want to be holding debt for a nation with a worthless over-printed currency.

If ours is worthless so is theirs....keep beating that old drum.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org