A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:08:12 pm
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "We're Sorry" Not Working  (Read 11316 times)
rwarn17588
« Reply #45 on: February 11, 2010, 04:51:30 pm »

To placate them is a dangerous tactic, and a lesson we’ve learned again and again.

Of course, to also start wars without considering all of the possible long-term consequences is a dangerous tactic, too. That's one thing the previous administration obviously failed to contemplate.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2010, 04:52:47 pm »

Of course, to also start wars without considering all of the possible long-term consequences is a dangerous tactic, too. That's one thing the previous administration obviously failed to contemplate.

Agreed!

There are other ways.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #47 on: February 11, 2010, 05:00:23 pm »

Easy Nathan,

All I can do is refer to history.  We’ve tried this in multiple countries with everything from weapons to food to fuel. . . and every time it backfires. 

Diplomacy is completely different from blackmail.  They cannot exist together.  Diplomacy relies on trade and trust, and both parties grow from it.  Blackmail relies on politics and lack of trust. . .give me what I want and I’ll do what you want.  Jimmy Carter failed to recognize the difference too, as did many others.

These countries are exercising leverage through threat.  They use the relaxation in tensions to create new bargaining chips and expand the threat.  To placate them is a dangerous tactic, and a lesson we’ve learned again and again.

Threat becomes currency when there’s no fear of retribution.

I have two small children.  I know how this works.

Although I disagree with your assessment, I thank you for your well thought explanation of your position. Seriously.  Smiley

I guess what I still don't get, even granting your premise, how it is a negative for us to make individual deals that improve the situation from our perspective. Obviously we shouldn't do whatever they ask willy-nilly, but in a relatively simple "you give us something we don't want you to have and we give you something you want to have that's less threatening to us" or a "you give us nuclear fuel and we give you food" is really an issue.

I think a lot of our recent issues with North Korea (and Iran to a lesser degree) boiled down to obstinately refusing to even talk.

Even if all you're doing is buying time, I don't see where it puts us at any disadvantage, aside perhaps from a prison created in our own minds. It takes no future options off the table, yet modestly improves the situation from our perspective.

Either way, none of us know all the facts, so having stated our positions, I don't know how much good will come of continued discussion on the subject, barring new evidence.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org