A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 20, 2024, 03:11:03 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Irresponsible and Systemic Corruption of the Congress"  (Read 3707 times)
FOTD
« on: December 24, 2009, 11:20:41 pm »

Carl Bernstein: US Congress Is Corrupt, Systemically Broken (VIDEO)

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/23/carl-bernstein-us-congres_n_402331.html

'During an appearance on MSNBC's Morning Joe today journalist and author Carl Bernstein lamented that the debate over and the writing of health care reform legislation has shown us "Congress at its worst."

Bernstein harshly critiques the nation's legislative branch as a body that is "responsive only to money and special interests" while ignoring the public and national interest:

The bad news is the really great problem in this country is the systemic breakdown of one of the three branches of government: the Congress of the United States. And until it's repaired, [Obama] and this country are going to be undermined. We could have had health care legislation in a meaningful way that would have gone twice as far at solving our budget and our health care problems, but because of the irresponsibility and the systemic corruption of the United States Congress, we don't."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2009/12/23/carl-bernstein-us-congres_n_402331.html

Too much defending of our representatives and Senators on this forum and through out our state....such sheeples....
USRufnex
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2009, 09:52:48 pm »

This thread seemed really lonely, FOTD.......

Here's an email vid from an Obama guy; I received it a few days ago; thought it'd keep your post company.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=51G-FfBhN6w&feature=sdig&et=1261718881.51
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2009, 10:58:49 pm »

Bernstein isn't exactly breaking new ground here, my friends.  Did we really need to wait for him to chime in that Congress is corrupt before we believe it?  All these "ethics rules" they keep dreaming up are just more piles of wool.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2009, 10:05:38 am »

Ok, I agree that our congress is corrupt, and maybe fatally so.  But I feel like we've gotten exactly what we wanted, which is a system that advocates for the needs and rights of business.  We've been bombarded for a generation with the contention that American business is overregulated, overtaxed, and in general constrained everywhere by government.  Is it any wonder that the people we elect bend over backwards to unconstrain it? 

And it's largely useless to blame individual legislators for lapses of ethics.  Not because their behavior isn't unethical but because it ignores the systemic incentives to act that way.  We can always vote the bums out, but we'll just end up replacing them with more bums.  Why?  Because those are the terms of entry into our process.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2009, 11:09:10 am »

We've been bombarded for a generation with the contention that American business is overregulated, overtaxed, and in general constrained everywhere by government. 

I'm sure you have a few favorite regulations, tax levels, and general constraints to reinstate.  Care to share a few?  FWIW, I believe some regulations are necessary. 

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2009, 11:16:37 am »

And it's largely useless to blame individual legislators for lapses of ethics.  Not because their behavior isn't unethical but because it ignores the systemic incentives to act that way.  We can always vote the bums out, but we'll just end up replacing them with more bums.  Why?  Because those are the terms of entry into our process.

Why be complacent to the way things have become?  Systemic incentives only work due to individual greed.  At the very top, our government is not run by computers and robots, it is run by the decisions and actions of men and women.

I listen to comments like this from more liberal members on this forum, then hear the same members castigate Tom Coburn who is arguably one of the least corrupt politicians in D.C. and a man who is trying to cut waste in government, and limit the impact of individual greed and nefarious agendas yet he is shat upon by the lefties in this state constantly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
rwarn17588
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2009, 12:03:35 pm »

I listen to comments like this from more liberal members on this forum, then hear the same members castigate Tom Coburn who is arguably one of the least corrupt politicians in D.C. and a man who is trying to cut waste in government, and limit the impact of individual greed and nefarious agendas yet he is shat upon by the lefties in this state constantly.

When the chips were down, he put his deficit-hawk stance in a drawer with the TARP bill. Consistency isn't one of his strong suits.

He concentrates on earmarks, which make up 1 percent of the federal budget. If you're really that concerned about deficits, Tom, start proposing legislation that proposes big cuts to the Medicare benefits and defense spending. That's where the big money is.

So far, crickets.
guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2009, 12:11:07 pm »

When the chips were down, he put his deficit-hawk stance in a drawer with the TARP bill. Consistency isn't one of his strong suits.

YOU opposed TARP?

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
we vs us
City Father

« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2009, 02:01:04 pm »

I don't want complacency but I think that we have to address the system rather than the individual.  We aren't robots but we are also working within a system of laws and precedents, and in so many ways -- ways we can see and ways we can't -- the system irresistibly pushes us forward. 

(FWIW, I think that's really the defining difference between conservative and liberal viewpoints:  the level to which we believe an individual can truly affect his or her destiny). 

To me, because Coburn's on a one-man crusade, it will never be more than self-aggrandizement.  Has he gone after any of the Republican sacred cows? Or is he just taking a somewhat novel approach to drowning government in a bathub? 

And yes, Red Arrow, I have a laundry list of things I'd like to instate and reinstate, but you know, that's just me being Coburn-esque.  I think broadly we've spent the last 30 years deregulating and deregulating and its high time that the pendulum swung back.   Time will tell if the folks in charge can ride along with it. 
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2009, 02:25:22 pm »

I don't want complacency but I think that we have to address the system rather than the individual.  We aren't robots but we are also working within a system of laws and precedents, and in so many ways -- ways we can see and ways we can't -- the system irresistibly pushes us forward. 

(FWIW, I think that's really the defining difference between conservative and liberal viewpoints:  the level to which we believe an individual can truly affect his or her destiny). 

To me, because Coburn's on a one-man crusade, it will never be more than self-aggrandizement.  Has he gone after any of the Republican sacred cows? Or is he just taking a somewhat novel approach to drowning government in a bathub? 

And yes, Red Arrow, I have a laundry list of things I'd like to instate and reinstate, but you know, that's just me being Coburn-esque.  I think broadly we've spent the last 30 years deregulating and deregulating and its high time that the pendulum swung back.   Time will tell if the folks in charge can ride along with it. 

Someone has to be the first one to start a movement.  No wonder so few people are willing to stand up for a real change in Washington (versus a very trite campaign slogan) lest their motives be considered self-aggrandizement. 

Put term limits in place that make sense, get rid of the lobbyists, get rid of soft money slush funds that artificially funnel money from special interests, and I think you'd see a lot more altruism in legislation.  If 1/3 of the HOR and Senate were timing out every two years, that might help them vote their conscience instead of worrying about retaining their office in a poplularity contest.

That's a good place to start.

Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2009, 02:28:05 pm »

Well, now's your chance.  Demo Prez, Demo House, Demo Senate.  You have at least one more year.

Hopefully we'll both live another 20 or 30 years to either say "you were right, thanks" or "I told you so".

we vs us
City Father

« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2009, 03:02:01 pm »

Well, now's your chance.  Demo Prez, Demo House, Demo Senate.  You have at least one more year.

Hopefully we'll both live another 20 or 30 years to either say "you were right, thanks" or "I told you so".

Sadly, the opportunity lasted for about a month and is long gone.  The D trifecta is only as unified as the party, and right now it's a mess.  IMHO, of course.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org