A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 12:46:47 pm
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: (PROJECT) New downtown garage would offer 269 parking spaces to public  (Read 16654 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 01:14:18 pm »

I paid $25 to park a half a mile away for a Chiefs game this year.

I pay $85 a month for each of my employees to park in the garage east of the BOKarena.

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #16 on: December 21, 2009, 10:40:18 pm »

I've paid $20 to park for two hours in Chicago. It's called capitalism.

And since I don't have to live and work downtown (anywhere) I can choose not to participate. If I am on a company trip, it gets written off as an expense and "you" help pay for it.

Real mass transit from the suburbs and around downtown would eliminate a lot of that prejudice.  I'm not going to hold my breath waiting but any start would probably be an improvement.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2009, 08:23:46 am »

And since I don't have to live and work downtown (anywhere) I can choose not to participate. If I am on a company trip, it gets written off as an expense and "you" help pay for it.

Real mass transit from the suburbs and around downtown would eliminate a lot of that prejudice.  I'm not going to hold my breath waiting but any start would probably be an improvement.

The reason Denver's mass transit "starter line" took off so well is that you could park outside of downtown and just pay the train fair into work.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2009, 08:29:29 am »

The reason Denver's mass transit "starter line" took off so well is that you could park outside of downtown and just pay the train fair into work.

That and traffic on the main routes into downtown on I-25 and I-70 is at a standstill during rush hour, although the BA can approach those levels on certain days.  When I lived there I took the light rail from University station into downtown everyday because fighting the traffic on I-25 wasn't worth it and going through the neighborhoods was even slower, and then once I got there I would have to pay to park everyday whereas my employer paid for the light rail..
« Last Edit: December 22, 2009, 08:32:01 am by SXSW » Logged

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2009, 09:01:55 am »

That and traffic on the main routes into downtown on I-25 and I-70 is at a standstill during rush hour, although the BA can approach those levels on certain days.  When I lived there I took the light rail from University station into downtown everyday because fighting the traffic on I-25 wasn't worth it and going through the neighborhoods was even slower, and then once I got there I would have to pay to park everyday whereas my employer paid for the light rail..

SXSW, I forget, are you finished up with school or are you still down in Norman?  Are you planning on working in Tulsa? I think you are a great asset to the planning and development parts of this forum.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2009, 10:59:46 am »

Your choice wasn't too difficult.  I'm glad you had the opportunity to use light rail.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #21 on: December 22, 2009, 03:15:34 pm »

SXSW, I forget, are you finished up with school or are you still down in Norman?  Are you planning on working in Tulsa? I think you are a great asset to the planning and development parts of this forum.

I am working in Norman but am also in Tulsa occasionally for work.  Hopefully I'll be in Tulsa permanently within the year, although Norman, more specifically the area around OU, is a great place to live for those who like walkable communities.  I hope we can have that kind of neighborhood around TU and OSU-Tulsa someday.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #22 on: December 22, 2009, 03:43:41 pm »

I am working in Norman but am also in Tulsa occasionally for work.  Hopefully I'll be in Tulsa permanently within the year, although Norman, more specifically the area around OU, is a great place to live for those who like walkable communities.  I hope we can have that kind of neighborhood around TU and OSU-Tulsa someday.

My daughter is loving Norman, though she's slightly further out of the central campus loop near Sooner & Lindsey.  Still an easy bike ride to campus except when it's freezing out.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
DowntownDan
City Father

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2011, 08:51:30 am »

The Williams lot is blocked off, spray painted, and being chopped up, so it looks like its moving forward.  I too was hoping there would be some light retail, but it just doesn't seem like a good part of town for it unless it is a destination type place with plenty of parking (obviously).  I park in the north garage and at the very least, I'll be glad to have a working skybridge for rainy or snowy days.
JCnOwasso
Civic Leader

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2011, 03:09:21 pm »

I do have a question... what daytime events is the BOK missing out on?  I don't know of many weekday/daytime events at any venue.  The NCAA was daytime and seemed to work out just fine.

nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2011, 04:28:41 pm »

Now we just need a few streetcars circulating around downtown connecting BOk, Brady, and Blue Dome followed shortly by a line down to Brookside by way of 18th and Boston and another through Cherry Street and on over to TU.

We can fix the daytime event parking problems and improve access to the various nighttime venues for the drunks. Connect our closer-in nodes, and then maybe it'll make more sense to do a commuter line out to the BA and/or the airport.

We could do it for less than the cost of the BOk Center.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
ZYX
Philanthropist

« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2011, 04:32:01 pm »

Now we just need a few streetcars circulating around downtown connecting BOk, Brady, and Blue Dome followed shortly by a line down to Brookside by way of 18th and Boston and another through Cherry Street and on over to TU.

We can fix the daytime event parking problems and improve access to the various nighttime venues for the drunks. Connect our closer-in nodes, and then maybe it'll make more sense to do a commuter line out to the BA and/or the airport.

We could do it for less than the cost of the BOk Center.

This would be my dream to have happen within the next 10 years. Or at least have plans set in place in 5. Think about it. If we got the HSR to OKC, you could travel to and around both cities completely by train. I think having streetcar in both cities would make the HSR link much more viable.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2011, 10:48:37 pm »

This would be my dream to have happen within the next 10 years. Or at least have plans set in place in 5. Think about it. If we got the HSR to OKC, you could travel to and around both cities completely by train. I think having streetcar in both cities would make the HSR link much more viable.

Hopefully such a project or at least a starter line is included when V2025 is up and the tax extension is voted on in 2016..

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2011, 08:02:35 am »

Hopefully such a project or at least a starter line is included when V2025 is up and the tax extension is voted on in 2016..

The most expensive part of the starter rail line was the river crossing, which is now paid for.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org