A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 07:48:32 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is OKC dead last in Jobs forecast?  (Read 2229 times)
bbriscoe
« on: December 07, 2009, 08:12:02 am »

among these cities?

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/cities-affordable-cheap-lifestyle-real-estate-housing-foreclosures_chart.html?partner=yahoore

Tulsa isn't much better.  Is Oklahoma hiring behind the rest of the country?
rwarn17588
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 08:37:27 am »

among these cities?

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/30/cities-affordable-cheap-lifestyle-real-estate-housing-foreclosures_chart.html?partner=yahoore

Tulsa isn't much better.  Is Oklahoma hiring behind the rest of the country?

Yes, I reckon. Oklahoma was a bit behind the rest of the country in the economy going kaput, and it's going to also lag in the recovery. The state's seen some big job losses in the past few months, while nationally the job losses have slowed markedly.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2009, 11:27:58 am »

I was listening to OKC mayor, Mick Cornett, on the radio as I was leaving OKC for Tulsa this morning.  The vote for MAPS 3 goes to the poll tomorrow, so the full-court press is on.  One of the hosts was touting how stable the economy is in OKC and how the employment and hiring picture is all rosy.  I suspect it will pass since it doesn't increase the tax rate, just extends it beyond the MAPS 2 end.  I think they said the OKC sales tax rate is about 8.3%.  Amazing how much better they are able to maintain and expand infrastructure, education, and recreation at a lower sales tax rate than we can in Tulsa. 

Really does sort of surprise me that OKC would be that far down on job creation since they are a hub of government, large medical community, have a major military installation in it's midst, several Universities, etc. within the metro area.  I'm always curious who compiles these numbers and how they are arrived at.  I do get that state gov't has budget short falls and cut backs, but there's a pretty good federal presence there as well.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org