A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 07:58:09 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: We're number 49, we're number 49, we're number 49  (Read 5098 times)
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« on: November 18, 2009, 09:11:02 am »

We're ranked 49th healthiest state per Forbes.com.

F yes, let's build more fast food places and for God's sake smoke up Johnny.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/16/unhealthy-healthy-states-lifestyle-health-states-top_chart.html?partner=yahoohealth
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 09:17:18 am »

We're ranked 49th healthiest state per Forbes.com.

F yes, let's build more fast food places and for God's sake smoke up Johnny.

http://www.forbes.com/2009/11/16/unhealthy-healthy-states-lifestyle-health-states-top_chart.html?partner=yahoohealth

Makes me even happier to have Panda Express moving to our 'hood.  Come on, let's get to #50!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 10:41:54 am »

We do rank low on binge drinking!
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 12:35:52 pm »

We do rank low on binge drinking!

How?  By drinking continuously?  (Binge implies an occasional stop.)

custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2009, 09:23:55 pm »

don't think of it as 49th healthiest.  Think of it more as 2nd most self indulgent.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2009, 10:20:44 pm »

don't think of it as 49th healthiest.  Think of it more as 2nd most self indulgent.

Now there's some glass-half-full logic!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2009, 08:33:44 am »

Whats interesting is how on many different maps, county maps etc. where they color in the countries "highest rates of obesity" diabetes, smoking, etc. (yes we rank high in all)... how the different "colors" stop at the borders of so many states.

For instance, with the diabetes map Oklahomas counties are mostly a dark color indicating high rates there, then you look north and south and there is a dramatic change with hardly any counties dark. Same with a lot of other states.  It cant be that demographics change that much right across a state border in so many instances. To me it seems there must be a play of both demographics and POLICY at work. Otherwise there would be more spillover and not straight lines boxing in the states.  And yes, one must admit by looking at the maps that demographics do play a role in policy. (the poor, appalachian trail route/demographic is very much in play) Policy does seem to have an effect, but could you separate policy from demographics I wonder?  The policies exist because the majority of the people want those policies.  

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/figures/m845a2f.gif

Interesting how those maps also closely match the presidential (red blue) election map for counties, and the level of education.

http://www.econ.ucdavis.edu/faculty/jparman/edu-map.jpg

Perhaps only the smart conservative counties (per our one posters assertions) are the, "smartest" but least educated, poorest, highest obesity rates, diabetes, smoking, etc. counties?

Also

Smokiest Metro Areas % Who Are Current Smokers

Wichita Falls, TX 30.9
Hagerstown, MD/Martinsburg, WV 28.9
Huntington, WV/Ashland, KY 27.9
Louisville, KY 27.5
Winston-Salem, NC 25.3
Charleston, WV 24.9
Youngstown/Warren, OH 24.4
Fayetteville, NC 23.8
Hickory/ Morganton/Lenoir, NC 23.8
Tulsa, OK 23.8

Most Smoke-free Metro Areas % Who Are Not Current Smokers

Provo/Orem, UT 95.1
Ogden/Clearfield, UT 91.6
San Jose/Sunnyvale, CA 91.6
Bethesda/Frederick, MD 90.9
Bridgeport/Stamford/Norwalk, CT 89.5
Salt Lake City, UT 89
San Francisco/San Mateo, CA 88.8
Santa Ana/Anaheim/Irvine, CA 88.7
Miami/Fort Lauderdale, FL 88.4
Los Angeles/Long Beach, CA 88.3

Source: CDC

« Last Edit: November 20, 2009, 08:40:54 am by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2009, 03:11:24 pm »

I guess I can't resist taking a moment to draw the conclusion again that the United States doesn't have one of the worst health care systems in the world, it's got the worst patients in the world who don't take good care of themselves.

RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 03:19:36 pm »

I guess I can't resist taking a moment to draw the conclusion again that the United States doesn't have one of the worst health care systems in the world, it's got the worst patients in the world who don't take good care of themselves.

I am their King!

Power is nothing till you use it.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 09:22:36 pm »

I am their King!

Hail the King.  I hope you beat the statistics.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2009, 01:18:57 am »

I love this one!

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org