A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:03:24 pm
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa to Get Grocery Store  (Read 69535 times)
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2010, 07:48:51 am »

Deeply impoverished neighborhoods need jobs close by, it isn't the same as Skip & Becky who commute to their $400k home in Owasso but have offices at Utica Place.   In the case of Mexicans, do the type of folk who hire Hispanic laborers even look for regular joes to help out?

That's BS. 

There are small communities surrounding every big city where low and middle income individuals commute to work in the city.  There are also a lot of people in North Tulsa who commute to work now.  You can't discount these people by saying they can't get labor jobs because they're NOT Mexican.

Much of the population is lower income and there is a lot of data available on the spending patterns of this population.  Some people feel that they can influence established demographics by simply providing a different offering.  This usually fails.

I think if you take the time to analyse this demographic you will find that they typically do not prepare meals in the home.  They frequent fast-food restaurants for their caloric requirements.  They typically do not plan meals unless related to special occasions.  They don't analyse the cost savings of component food purchasing over pre-packaged. 

I worked on a proposed project for 34th N. Peoria for quite a while and spent a lot of time assembling demographic information on the population.  We had a hard time supporting the development of anything that didn't provide prepared meals at a low cost.  The project died because the developer couldn't generate any interest among franchise groups and national chains. 

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2010, 08:19:40 am »

That's interesting Gaspar, I had assumed the opposite on lower income eating habits.  I assumed they ate more at home out of economic necessity.

No wonder that McDonalds to the south of Gateway Market has always done well...

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
dbacks fan
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2010, 08:30:08 am »

That's interesting Gaspar, I had assumed the opposite on lower income eating habits.  I assumed they ate more at home out of economic necessity.

And I think more so now with most all of the fast food places restrucring their pricing adding more $1.00 items, or like Taco Bell with their $5.00 box meal. Even Arby's now has a dollar menu.
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2010, 08:38:38 am »

That would be a logical assumption, however people in lower income brackets typically make recurrent economic decisions that contribute to their status. 

There have been numerous university studies on Obesity that show the predominance of Fast food chains in low income areas contribute to the obesity problems associated with those populations.  Most of these studies don't take into consideration that the fast food chains are aware of the demographic propensity among these populations to choose the convenience of fast food over the economy of cooking at home.

McDonalds does not put restaurants in poor neighborhoods to create customers.  They put them there because that population has been shown to dedicate a higher percentage of meal purchases to McDonalds than higher income brackets. 

Good business people understand that it's easier to capture customers than create them.

rwarn17588
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2010, 08:42:05 am »

That would be a logical assumption, however people in lower income brackets typically make recurrent economic decisions that contribute to their status. 

There have been numerous university studies on Obesity that show the predominance of Fast food chains in low income areas contribute to the obesity problems associated with those populations.  Most of these studies don't take into consideration that the fast food chains are aware of the demographic propensity among these populations to choose the convenience of fast food over the economy of cooking at home.

McDonalds does not put restaurants in poor neighborhoods to create customers.  They put them there because that population has been shown to dedicate a higher percentage of meal purchases to McDonalds than higher income brackets. 

Good business people understand that it's easier to capture customers than create them.

A lot of poor people are choosing fast food because they're working long hours or two jobs, and feel they don't have the time or energy to do a home-cooked meal.
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2010, 08:45:45 am »

A lot of poor people are choosing fast food because they're working long hours or two jobs, and feel they don't have the time or energy to do a home-cooked meal.

I can't blame them but it still doesn't help their health any.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2010, 08:49:31 am »

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Gaspar
T-Town Elder

« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2010, 09:22:01 am »

I can't blame them but it still doesn't help their health any.

Or provide support for other forms development in the area. 

I would hazard to guess that even the unemployed in that area rely on fast food offerings over home cooking. 

Dana431
Armchair Urbanist
Civic Leader

« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2010, 09:23:00 am »

Holy Crap!  I saw this car in Troy, Alabama back in December.  I never thought I would see it again!  How funny...
dbacks fan
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2010, 09:43:29 am »

Holy Crap!  I saw this car in Troy, Alabama back in December.  I never thought I would see it again!  How funny...

Check out http://www.youdrivewhat.com/ and you will see more of these.
Hawkins
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2010, 11:17:51 am »

Swake, thanks for the citation.  

I call BS on the armed robbery being any sort of a problem.  An employee was killed by a gunman during an armed robbery at the former Albertson's at 41st & Peoria about ten years ago and there have been countless armed robberies of various grocery stores and people robbed in parking lots and yet those stores remain robust and solvent.

That Homeland at 91st & Memorial shut down pretty quick after that concealed-carry shooting of an armed robber.

Its a Panera Bread, and Oliveto Restaurant now.

--

But, if this store isn't selling Pepsi products, the guy is isn't giving it a fair shake.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2010, 11:24:51 am »

That Homeland at 91st & Memorial shut down pretty quick after that concealed-carry shooting of an armed robber.

Its a Panera Bread, and Oliveto Restaurant now.

--

But, if this store isn't selling Pepsi products, the guy is isn't giving it a fair shake.

Homeland shut down a lot of area stores over the last decade or so.  I doubt the robbery there had a whole lot, if anything, to do with it closing. 

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2010, 12:53:33 pm »

As for Mc Donalds etc. being the problem for bad food choices,,, I dont buy that either.  I have been to the Mc Donalds up there several times and tried to order what I usually get in south Tulsa.... for instance... Grilled chicken sandwich on wheat with no mayo and an unsweetened tea.  Its very healthy imo and there are other healthy food options at fast food places to boot.  But every time I order that there they make me pull over to the side for they dont have any grilled chicken out or ready (they say they have crispy) and often I find after I have driven off that I got sweet tea instead of unsweetened and if I get adamant about it, find they have to make it special too.

This reinforces to me the studies I have seen where even if you give lower income people the option to choose for FREE between healthy choices or junk food, they predominantly choose the junk food option over the healthy.  Put out wheat bread and white on a free buffett.... they pick the white, etc.  The chicken sandwich at Mc Donalds costs the same grilled or crispy, but apparently they choose the crispy.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2010, 01:51:40 pm »

The grilled chicken at McDonald's is healthy if you don't take into consideration all the crap they put into it during the processing.

Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2010, 01:57:24 pm »

There are 460 calories in 1 serving of McDonald's Crispy Chicken Classic Sandwich.
 Calorie breakdown: 47% fat, 42% carbs, 11% protein.
 Calculated Weight Watchers® points: 11 points.
 Estimated Net Carbs (non-fiber carbs): 44g.

There are 370 calories in 1 serving of McDonald's Premium Grilled Chicken Classic Sandwich.
 Calorie breakdown: 11% fat, 54% carbs, 35% protein.
 Calculated Weight Watchers® points: 7 points.
 Estimated Net Carbs (non-fiber carbs): 47g.

Didn't find the option to switch to wheat or remove mayo

There are 230 calories in 1 serving of McDonald's Sweet Tea (Large).
 Calorie breakdown: 0% fat, 100% carbs, 0% protein.
 Calculated Weight Watchers® points: 5 points.
 Estimated Net Carbs (non-fiber carbs): 53g.

There are 0 calories in 1 serving of McDonald's Iced Tea (Large).
 Calorie breakdown: 0% fat, 100% carbs, 0% protein.
 Calculated Weight Watchers® points: 0 points.
 Estimated Net Carbs (non-fiber carbs): 1g.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 01:58:55 pm by Townsend » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org