A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:43:22 am
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: North Tulsa to Get Grocery Store  (Read 69310 times)
AVERAGE JOE
« on: November 15, 2009, 07:49:32 pm »

After years of effort by city officials, a local retailer will open a full service grocery store in the vacant Albertson's location at Pine and Peoria.
http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=334&articleid=20091115_11_A1_Antoni877907

Irony: Mayor-Elect Bartlett's number 1 priority (according to his victory speech Tuesday night) has already been accomplished before he takes office.
MDepr2007
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2009, 08:01:57 pm »

I wonder what the Las Vegas odds are for it closing in under 18 months if not 9.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2009, 08:52:19 pm »

A Las Americas, er Gateway Market, is a perfect fit for this location. 

brianh
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2009, 12:47:47 pm »

I have this whole security problem solved. Take part of the parking lot and put in a Quicktrip, or make one adjacent to it.
Hometown
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2009, 12:49:25 pm »

Mr. Perez is a real go getter.  He is the owner of Las Americas and soon to be the new proprietor at the Gateway grocery facility.  We shop at Las Americas on Lewis and find they have the best prices on produce.  I get my hair cut in a shop at his Las Americas on 3rd Street.  He is also the founder and an owner of TeleTul -- Tulsa's new Latino Television Station.  And I have also noted his outspoken opposition to Oklahoma's Draconian Anti-Immigrant law.  Thank goodness that Mr. Perez and the Latin Community have revitalized a number of Tulsa's older neighborhoods.   It appears that without them, there would be no takers at all.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2009, 12:53:49 pm »

Mr. Perez is a real go getter.  He is the owner of Las Americas and soon to be the new proprietor at the Gateway grocery facility.  We shop at Las Americas on Lewis and find they have the best prices on produce.  I get my hair cut in a shop at his Las Americas on 3rd Street.  He is also the founder and an owner of TeleTul -- Tulsa's new Latino Television Station.  And I have also noted his outspoken opposition to Oklahoma's Draconian Anti-Illegal-Immigrant law.  Thank goodness that Mr. Perez and the Latin Community have revitalized a number of Tulsa's older neighborhoods.   It appears that without them, there would be no takers at all.

Fixed that for you.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
MDepr2007
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2009, 04:49:04 pm »

A Las Americas, er Gateway Market, is a perfect fit for this location. 

And they'll only be 2 miles apart. How does this help those north of 36th street north, since they'll be more than 2 miles from a grocery store still?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2009, 04:56:45 pm »

And they'll only be 2 miles apart. How does this help those north of 36th street north, since they'll be more than 2 miles from a grocery store still?

Far better than what their alternatives are now, which is Admiral and Lewis.  Perhaps if the intended customers won't shop-lift from this store another will open. 

I hope no one thinks that's a racist statement, it absolutely is not.  Whites, blacks, and latinos all shopped at that store. But it is the reason why they could not get a grocer after Albertson's folded their tent.  I also understand many felt that Albertson's had the highest prices in town.  The grocery business is a for-profit business, not a damn charity.

Take care of the neighborhood and the neighborhood will take care of you.

Oh, and HT, I agree about Mr. Perez.  A great entrepreneur.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
waterboy
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2009, 05:26:12 pm »

I'm sure they're shoplifting wherever they shop now which is Admiral & Lewis or Reasor's at 15th & Lewis. Might as well keep it local.  Wink Shoplifting is at epidemic stage everywhere right now.
USRufnex
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2009, 05:34:19 pm »

Perhaps if the intended customers won't shop-lift from this store another will open.  

I hope no one thinks that's a racist statement, it absolutely is not.  Whites, blacks, and latinos all shopped at that store. But it is the reason why they could not get a grocer after Albertson's folded their tent.  I also understand many felt that Albertson's had the highest prices in town.  The grocery business is a for-profit business, not a damn charity.

Take care of the neighborhood and the neighborhood will take care of you.

No, it's not a racist statement, per se.  But it doesn't put things in the proper context when you make a blanket statement lumping "intended customers" in with shoplifters.

Most customers in higher crime areas aren't shoplifters.
Most grocery store chains have razor-thin profit margins.
Most national grocery store chains like Albertson's wouldn't touch a higher crime area with a ten-foot-pole.  They left higher crime urban areas a decade or two ago....

DETROIT:  A City Without Chain Grocery Stores
Sheena Harrison, CNN, July 22, 2009
http://money.cnn.com/2009/07/22/smallbusiness/detroit_grocery_stores.smb/index.htm

I was rooting for an ALDI to go to that location on Pine and Peoria.  I like them much better than Sav-a-lot.  I occasionally will make a special trip to the ALDI's on 129th and 21st St.  Put in my quarter to unlock my shopping cart, buy mostly ALDI's generic brands, save money, sack my groceries using my own bags... go home.

My strategy for Tulsa:  Entice ALDI to the northside now...... then, after you convince the Germans who own ALDI that they got a good deal there..... convince them to put a Trader Joes downtown a few years later......

Otherwise, Tulsa may get it's first Trader Joes someday......... in Jenks.   Cheesy

« Last Edit: November 16, 2009, 05:40:56 pm by USRufnex » Logged
FOTD
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2009, 05:44:14 pm »

Talk to your lazy state reps if you want a movement to quality groceries. The wholesale and retail Boozery distributors are prohibiting these decent grocers from entering our market.

Like your ALDI idea....
pmcalk
City Mother
City Father

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2009, 08:05:25 pm »

I have heard from more than one source that there was no more shoplifting at the albertsons on Pine & Peoria than the one on 15th & Lewis. 

The difference is that most grocery stores make their money on high-end goods, specialties like extra-virgin olive oil, gourmet mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, etc....  In lower income neighborhoods, you don't get a lot of shoppers for those items.

Allowing grocery stores to sell alcohol is one sure way to increase their profits.  Alcohol is one of the biggest mark ups.

SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2009, 09:13:08 pm »

I have heard from more than one source that there was no more shoplifting at the albertsons on Pine & Peoria than the one on 15th & Lewis. 

The difference is that most grocery stores make their money on high-end goods, specialties like extra-virgin olive oil, gourmet mushrooms, sundried tomatoes, etc....  In lower income neighborhoods, you don't get a lot of shoppers for those items.

Allowing grocery stores to sell alcohol is one sure way to increase their profits.  Alcohol is one of the biggest mark ups.

I never understood why Albertson's was there in the first place.  They were the most expensive grocery store in town near some of the city's lowest income neighborhoods.  I thought Wal-Mart Neighborhood Market would probably do better there but Las Americas should be a good fit.  The area around Pine & Peoria is lower income but not a bad neighborhood.  The neighborhoods further to the north are a different story.

Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2009, 11:34:22 pm »

In talking with one of the operators of the non profit grocery near 21st & SW Blvd behind Eugene Field Elementary, he related a few surprises.  They don't sell the three main pilfered items: candy, tobacco, and alcohol very low shrinkage

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2010, 09:48:45 am »

It's open! 

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100117_11_A19_Wanita956368&archive=yes

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org