A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:23:23 pm
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: How you know voters arent well versed.  (Read 5160 times)
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« on: November 11, 2009, 07:47:27 am »

A large majority decided:

1. All City auditors should be certified.
2. A non-certified person should be City auditor.

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

'splain
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2009, 08:04:03 am »

A large majority decided:

1. All City auditors should be certified.
2. A non-certified person should be City auditor.

HuhHuhHuhHuhHuh

'splain

Tulsa schools, public and private?

Gold
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2009, 09:08:35 am »

Some thoughts:

I adore the Wood family and think some of the people who took cheap shots at his age ought to be ashamed at themselves.  That said, it probably was time for him to leave gracefully.

Unfortunately, no one legit was waiting in the wings.  This is a very important office and we elected someone who is not qualified and plans on obtaining the qualification while in office -- not sure how you pass the CPA exam while also serving in an office that you claim has been mismanaged.

It's a shame Wood didn't try to get a successor elected.  He's been there since the beginning of the city council system and understands both the intent and some of the pitfalls.  We elected a guy without the proper credentials that voters chose for the office, I guess because he ran some ads claiming some BS about business experience.
DowntownNow
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2009, 09:23:49 am »

I will agree with Grizzle that its a conundrum that voters want qualifications but put someone who has none in office. 

I will also agree with Gold that it was time for Phil Wood to leave office.

I can suppose that the way voters cast their ballots last night, they wanted someone with qualificaitons for the position but at present, they just want Phil Woods gone.  Perhaps he has served Tulsa well in the pst but I think educated voters finally had it with him when he sought to stop the investigation in the Fire Department records falsification.  They may have also had it from an auditor that has let everything go by that later is found to be a serious problem i.e. Public Works contracts and scandal, Animal Welfare controls and money missing, TPD and TFD budgets at the levels they are, etc etc.

Now I will admit, the Auditors office is prolly ill equipped and understaffed to undertake the majority of the duties it holds BUT Phil Woods should have been more vocal in making this an issue in the minds of the constituents and adminstration and sought the funding that was needed that could have helped prevent some of what has transpired over the last year.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2009, 09:46:00 am »

Unfortunately, no one legit was waiting in the wings.  This is a very important office and we elected someone who is not qualified and plans on obtaining the qualification while in office -- not sure how you pass the CPA exam while also serving in an office that you claim has been mismanaged.

You do know Phil Wood got certified while in office as well, right?
Gold
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2009, 11:29:31 am »

It was way before my time I take it.  Like, when black and white tvs were around and people rode dinosaurs. Wink

Mr. Wood is a smart guy who knew what he was doing.  He's the reason that the initiative to require the qualification was even on the ballot.
Tora
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2009, 12:21:59 am »

Phil Wood's Resume
GOVERNMENT Tulsa City Auditor - elected 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - Secretary, Indian Nation Council of Governments 1988-2004 - Member Audit and Budget Committee of the Tulsa Housing Authority - Chairman, Municipal Employees Retirement Plan 1989-93 - Member Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement Board 1991-94

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
WORK Registered Investment Advisor (1984-88) - Executive in Residence and Instructor, University of Kansas Graduate School of Business (1982-85)- Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Cities Service Company (1966-82) - Union Carbide Corporation Plastics Department (1948-66) - 10th Mountain Infantry Division U.S. Army (1943-46).
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
ORGANIZATIONS Member of the Oklahoma Society of Financial Analysts - President, Tulsa Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors, 1994 - Tulsa Chapter IIA Auditor of the Year 1993 - Former President, International Council of Tulsa - Member Regional Advisory Council, Princeton University Class of 1946 - Past Vice President of Arts and Humanities Council, Tulsa Opera and Magic Empire Council of the Girl Scouts - Member Hispanic American Foundation - President, Princeton Club of Tulsa - Tulsa Charter Change Committee 1989 - National Council for International Visitors Award of Appreciation 1987 - University of Tulsa Conference of Accountants Speaker 1983 - Tulsa Chapter National Secretaries Association International Boss of the Year 1979-80.
INVENTIONS Author of many computer applications for auditing, pension benefits, legal documents, filing systems, telephone directories, manufacturing and distribution, etc. Copyright issued in 1995 for "Bird Dog" search programs. U.S. Patent 3,578,311 issued in 1971 for a plastic bag folding method and machine.
EDUCATION Princeton University AB 1948 - Chartered Financial Analyst 1986 - Certified Internal Auditor 1991 - Harvard Business School Corporate Financial Management 1979 - Wharton School Risk Management of Oil and Gas Exploration 1976.

I challenge anyone to post a detailed copy of Preston Doerflinger's resume.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2009, 12:24:21 am by Tora » Logged
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2009, 01:35:31 am »

Phil Wood's Resume
GOVERNMENT Tulsa City Auditor - elected 1988, 1990, 1992, 1994, 1996, 1998, 2000, 2002, 2004, 2006 - Secretary, Indian Nation Council of Governments 1988-2004 - Member Audit and Budget Committee of the Tulsa Housing Authority - Chairman, Municipal Employees Retirement Plan 1989-93 - Member Oklahoma Police Pension and Retirement Board 1991-94

WORK Registered Investment Advisor (1984-88) - Executive in Residence and Instructor, University of Kansas Graduate School of Business (1982-85)- Executive Vice President and Chief Financial Officer of Cities Service Company (1966-82) - Union Carbide Corporation Plastics Department (1948-66) - 10th Mountain Infantry Division U.S. Army (1943-46).
ORGANIZATIONS Member of the Oklahoma Society of Financial Analysts - President, Tulsa Chapter of the Institute of Internal Auditors, 1994 - Tulsa Chapter IIA Auditor of the Year 1993 - Former President, International Council of Tulsa - Member Regional Advisory Council, Princeton University Class of 1946 - Past Vice President of Arts and Humanities Council, Tulsa Opera and Magic Empire Council of the Girl Scouts - Member Hispanic American Foundation - President, Princeton Club of Tulsa - Tulsa Charter Change Committee 1989 - National Council for International Visitors Award of Appreciation 1987 - University of Tulsa Conference of Accountants Speaker 1983 - Tulsa Chapter National Secretaries Association International Boss of the Year 1979-80.
INVENTIONS Author of many computer applications for auditing, pension benefits, legal documents, filing systems, telephone directories, manufacturing and distribution, etc. Copyright issued in 1995 for "Bird Dog" search programs. U.S. Patent 3,578,311 issued in 1971 for a plastic bag folding method and machine.
EDUCATION Princeton University AB 1948 - Chartered Financial Analyst 1986 - Certified Internal Auditor 1991 - Harvard Business School Corporate Financial Management 1979 - Wharton School Risk Management of Oil and Gas Exploration 1976.

I challenge anyone to post a detailed copy of Preston Doerflinger's resume.

I have to ask, at this point, does it really matter?  After all, the election is already over, and the fact taht doerflinger will be our new auditor
Tora
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2009, 04:05:30 am »

I have to ask, at this point, does it really matter?  After all, the election is already over, and the fact taht doerflinger will be our new auditor

You are probably correct and I'm certain most Tulsans feel the same as you.

But I think that it is very interesting that most people seem to have no information at all about Mr. Doerflinger's businesses.  (the only information seems to be quotes which he has made himself)
rwarn17588
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2009, 08:48:56 am »

You are probably correct and I'm certain most Tulsans feel the same as you.

But I think that it is very interesting that most people seem to have no information at all about Mr. Doerflinger's businesses.  (the only information seems to be quotes which he has made himself)

This ignores the fact that Doerflinger won mostly because Auditor Phil Wood turned turtle during the firefighters certification probe. Plus, when Wood himself was getting old as dirt, people also start to wonder whether he'll be up for the job. People wanted a change.
shadows
City Father

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2009, 02:46:48 pm »

This ignores the fact that Doerflinger won mostly because Auditor Phil Wood turned turtle during the firefighters certification probe. Plus, when Wood himself was getting old as dirt, people also start to wonder whether he'll be up for the job. People wanted a change.
Phil Wood was more than qualified to be auditor.  In the last terms the information that was needed was maneuvered by the power-to-be where he was unable to perform the duties.  He suggest that the council appoint the auditor. Any citizen of Tulsa  could walk into his office and talk about conditions at any time.   In this last term of office he was degraded to where he could not withstand the pressures and just gave in to the demands of the city hidden powers.    .     

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
Tora
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2009, 06:11:51 pm »

I can't argue with your reasoning.  Many people, rightly or wrongly, blamed Mr. Wood for problems arising from the firefighters probe.
I am also convinced that the belief that Mr. Doerflinger was a successful and experienced entrepeneur with numerous successful businesses in his resume led people to vote for him.  I am simply curious to learn if these beliefs were justified.
USRufnex
« Reply #12 on: November 17, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »

It was way before my time I take it.  Like, when black and white tvs were around and people rode dinosaurs. Wink

Mr. Wood is a smart guy who knew what he was doing.  He's the reason that the initiative to require the qualification was even on the ballot.

Oops.  Wrong Mr. Wood.  My bad.
« Last Edit: November 17, 2009, 06:13:04 pm by USRufnex » Logged
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org