A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:32:11 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Auditor election  (Read 3215 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: November 05, 2009, 06:46:19 am »

I thought this Tulsa World commenter was interesting...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=62&articleid=20091105_7_A16_spanc34042

Wood has experience, education  
By Price Brattin, Tulsa
11/5/2009 

I take issue with the World's endorsement of Preston Doerflinger for city auditor ("For Doerflinger," Oct. 24). The endorsement is based on the notion Doerflinger "has more than 14 years of management experience."

Maybe the writer didn't know what an auditor does. How money is spent is determined by the city budget, not the auditor. The auditor tests city transactions to make sure they conform to city policies, rules and regulations. Management experience as an entrepreneur provides little or no understanding of auditing.

The editorial states Doerflinger is becoming a certified internal auditor. How? By reading a book so he can pass the exam? Isn't that like a prospective coach never playing the game but reading about the sport? Becoming a certified internal auditor requires 24 months auditing experience. Doerflinger lists no audit experience on his Web site. He has a degree in organizational leadership and is a registered respiratory therapist. That might be the education and experience for city health care officer but not city auditor.

Phil Wood retired as the chief financial officer of a major Tulsa company, is a certified internal auditor, and has more than 20 years experience as an internal auditor. He taught business at the University of Kansas and did advanced study of business at Harvard and the Wharton School. He's been elected city auditor 10 times. He has the education and ability to do the job.

Vote for Phil Wood. He won't have to learn on the job.

Editor's note: Brattin is a certified public accountant.

Power is nothing till you use it.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 09:21:45 am »

The comment about Doerflinger becoming a certified auditor is BS. He is doing THE EXACT SAME THING Phil Wood did. Wood got his certification long after he was in office.

I have talked to him on several occasions and am confident in saying both candidates are qualified for the job. Doerflinger (who unfortuntely bested me for 'oddest candidate name') has started several companies without borrowing a dime and operates solely on cash. While obviously he won't be as experienced as the incumbent, he is very passionate about doing intense audits of the city budgets to find why spending has grown so far and so fast. Think of him as Charles Grodin in the movie "Dave."

Phil Wood has to retire eventually and I'd hate for it to happen at a time when no-one good is running against him.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 10:42:35 am »

Heh, heh, huh, huh, hmm, hmm, heh.  He said... "WOOD"!

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Tora
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2009, 03:50:35 pm »

Doerflinger has talked about his companies and business experience.  The Tulsa World cited this experience as one reason why they endorsed him.
Try as I might, I cannot find one shred of information about these companies anywhere except in quotes made by Doerflinger himself.  Does anyone know the addresses and names of these companies?  Does anyone know how many employees these companies have?  Do these companies actually exist?  I sure hope someone can provide some proof that they do!  I'm looking forward to any information.
Tora
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2009, 03:52:14 pm »

I thought this Tulsa World commenter was interesting...

http://www.tulsaworld.com/opinion/article.aspx?subjectid=62&articleid=20091105_7_A16_spanc34042

By Price Brattin, Tulsa
11/5/2009 

I take issue with the World's endorsement of Preston Doerflinger for city auditor ("For Doerflinger," Oct. 24). The endorsement is based on the notion Doerflinger "has more than 14 years of management experience."

Maybe the writer didn't know what an auditor does. How money is spent is determined by the city budget, not the auditor. The auditor tests city transactions to make sure they conform to city policies, rules and regulations. Management experience as an entrepreneur provides little or no understanding of auditing.

The editorial states Doerflinger is becoming a certified internal auditor. How? By reading a book so he can pass the exam? Isn't that like a prospective coach never playing the game but reading about the sport? Becoming a certified internal auditor requires 24 months auditing experience. Doerflinger lists no audit experience on his Web site. He has a degree in organizational leadership and is a registered respiratory therapist. That might be the education and experience for city health care officer but not city auditor.

Phil Wood retired as the chief financial officer of a major Tulsa company, is a certified internal auditor, and has more than 20 years experience as an internal auditor. He taught business at the University of Kansas and did advanced study of business at Harvard and the Wharton School. He's been elected city auditor 10 times. He has the education and ability to do the job.

Vote for Phil Wood. He won't have to learn on the job.

Editor's note: Brattin is a certified public accountant.

Mr. Brattin makes some excellent points!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org