A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:08:36 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPD officers under investigation - Grand Jury?  (Read 87953 times)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2010, 07:44:45 pm »

Black helicopters anyone?  I think a 'working lab' would need to be in order.  What you're suggesting is plain silly, even for rogue cops.

Hate to agree with shadows, but with the right household chemicals you could be charged with possession of precursors and it would go down as a lab bust.  I've seen it over and over.  Camp fuel, some Kitty litter, empty 2 liters, some ag grade lye, and some grout cleaner = Meth lab.   Generally the busts for precursors are on known Meth heads... but still. It can be pretty weak.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #31 on: January 11, 2010, 11:01:22 pm »

Hate to agree with shadows, but with the right household chemicals you could be charged with possession of precursors and it would go down as a lab bust.  I've seen it over and over.  Camp fuel, some Kitty litter, empty 2 liters, some ag grade lye, and some grout cleaner = Meth lab.   Generally the busts for precursors are on known Meth heads... but still. It can be pretty weak.

That's the key though...'could be charged'.

Has anyone been charged that way that didn't already have paper on a similar offense?  That's my question.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
patric
T-Town Elder

These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For

« Reply #32 on: January 11, 2010, 11:46:12 pm »

The same is true for "bomb making materials".  Ive read of instances where that was little more than a battery and some wires.
It doesnt have to hold up in court, only be sufficient to put the suspect through hell and make them look bad in the media. 

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/02/01/national/main2420426.shtml?source=RSSattr=Entertainment_2420426

Outside the courthouse, Michael Rich, a lawyer for both of the men, said the description of a bomb-like device could be used for any electronic device.

"If somebody had left a VCR on the ground it would have been a device with wires, electronic components and a power source," he said.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010, 12:08:49 am by patric » Logged

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2010, 12:47:18 am »

Has anyone been charged that way that didn't already have paper on a similar offense?  That's my question.

The answer would be Yes.

A Missouri judge has ruled that merely buying cold tablets and lithium batteries -- items that could be used to manufacture methamphetamine -- does not provide police with an excuse to stop and search the buyer. In a case where members of the Southeast Missouri Drug Task Force tailed a man buying two boxes of Sudafed tablets at one store and watch batteries at another, then stopped and searched him, Judge William Syler ruled on April 21 that task force members had engaged in an unwarranted and unreasonable detention and search and that the evidence seized as a result must be suppressed.
http://stopthedrugwar.org/chronicle-old/285/coldpills.shtml

A Loveland man who was charged with making methamphetamine at his property near the old sugar factory, and then cleared of the charges, has sued law enforcement agencies, claiming they falsely arrested and prosecuted him.
Myers was charged with two counts of possession of a precursor of meth, manufacturing of a controlled substance and possession of between 25 and 450 grams of a controlled substance.  Prosecutors dropped the charges two months later when the alleged drugs that officers seized tested negative for any illegal substances.
http://www.reporterherald.com/news_story.asp?ID=25700

Eddy, Roger Allen Jr. v. State, COCA Case No. F-2001-336 (April 12, 2002)
(Double Jeopardy/Double Punishment; Excessive Sentence; Jury Instructions- misleading/confusing; Simultaneous convictions for manufacturing and possession of methamphetamine; possession of precursor substance violated double punishment. Convictions for possession of precursor and methamphetamine reversed and remanded with instructions to dismiss. http://www.ok.gov/~oids/Jury_Inst_Mislead.htm

I could go on, but the point has been made.  You can go into almost any home and collect all the ingredients for a meth lab, and make it look pretty damning when gathered together and laid out on the sidewalk for a photo op.

"Tulsa will lay off police and firemen before we will cut back on unnecessarily wasteful streetlights."  -- March 18, 2009 TulsaNow Forum
FOTD
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2010, 10:43:27 pm »

17 is the rumor number....that frees up some of the budget and reduces the threat number...
shadows
City Father

« Reply #35 on: January 13, 2010, 12:38:40 am »

The problem is that even if you are not guilty and an unnamed neighbor points an accusing finger it can cost thousands of dollars.  Sue the city will produce a bleeding heart prosecutor with “Judge these protectors of the citizens who are constantly putting their lives on line must follow ever lead.”  A professor in class once said if you are in an accident step out of the car and close the door and it will require a search warrant.  In Tulsa that would end up like the OHP and the Ambulance attendant’s conflict of interest.  Grin Grin Grin

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
patric
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2010, 12:17:02 pm »

A professor in class once said if you are in an accident step out of the car and close the door and it will require a search warrant.  In Tulsa that would end up like the OHP and the Ambulance attendant’s conflict of interest.  Grin Grin Grin

I may be dating myself, but Im old enough to remember a time when if you were pulled over, getting out of your car to meet the officer was a courtesy and a gesture of respect.
Somewhere, they changed the rules.

fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 06:53:11 am »

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=11&articleid=20100331_11_A1_Federa970443

WOW
shadows
City Father

« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 02:49:39 pm »

YES

Having been a non-involved by-stander in a set up of evidence and the use of “unless a no contest plea a jury could give you life in prison” It has been happening all along.  To defend the action requires thousands of dollars in attorney fees. The citizen looks the other way at the very mention of “ it all involves drugs”. If the grand jury looks they will find many infractions like the one cited in the article.

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
nathanm
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 04:37:54 pm »

The thing is, you don't even have to be particularly aggressive with the meth-heads, they practically come to you. A client of mine once defended a guy charged with making some ungodly amount of money selling meth. They seized around $500,000 in cash when they arrested him. This client of mine, being an excellent defense attorney managed to poke enough holes in the state's case that the guy was acquitted. The guy then sued a bunch of government agencies over the whole thing.

Two months later, he was arrested on charges of...making meth. The second time around the police didn't do so much screwing up, so the guy ended up getting 20 years.

A real drug dealer is usually pretty stupid, and therefore easy to catch without any shenanigans.

"Labor is prior to and independent of capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration" --Abraham Lincoln
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2010, 10:44:05 am »

Yes....These two people were good productive citizens that brought alot to the community.....I could care less what the cops had to do to get this scum off the street.....Spend some time and find out what kind of people they were....Lets see how many of you would like to have them over for tea and crumpets..... Roll Eyes

fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2010, 11:02:07 am »

Yes....These two people were good productive citizens that brought alot to the community.....I could care less what the cops had to do to get this scum off the street.....Spend some time and find out what kind of people they were....Lets see how many of you would like to have them over for tea and crumpets..... Roll Eyes

What has happened to the godd ole USA?
custosnox
Fly in the Ointment
City Father

« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 11:12:03 am »

Yes, let's suspend civil liberties and due process.  Hell, we don't need em.  If we think that someone is behaving in an immoral way let's just throw em in jail.  In fact, why bother with the costs of jail, let's just burn em at the stake and be done with it.  You just have to love this kind of logic
Breadburner
City Father

« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2010, 12:12:41 pm »

Yes...What has happened to it when we let it become over-run with drug dealing slime like the scags the cops were trying to put away......Do some research on the scum-bags before you start running your holier than thow yaps.....

fotd
DONE
Civic Leader

« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2010, 12:29:14 pm »

Yes...What has happened to it when we let it become over-run with drug dealing slime like the scags the cops were trying to put away......Do some research on the scum-bags before you start running your holier than thow yaps.....

It is time to go after the television execs, the banksters, the corporate polluting pigs! Round 'em up.

Guess it depends how you define slime and scags. I think we know what a scum bag looks like. Too bad someone's parent failed to use one before that someone turned into a baker.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org