A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 05:04:47 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trula, in the Mayo Hotel  (Read 33140 times)
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #30 on: February 02, 2010, 07:43:46 pm »

Kool.  Good discussion.

I will be at the Civic Center this weekend to check it out.  I saw a lot of world class shows in that place.  Really hated to see the shape it was in - went to some hockey games, too.

Guess we'll never know if those people would come to the new/improved CC, since the town went the other way.  Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Alice Cooper, Fleetwood Mac and quite a few others came without having the Crashship.  But the CC wasn't a worn out looking heap at the time, either.  And did not have the long standing reputation for decay, either.

Easy to skew the results to fit the preconceptions by withholding a little here and pushing a little there....

Yes, art is art.  I can certainly appreciate that people like the tubes.  I like Gilcrease and Philbrook, and would never expect everyone to go with that either if they didn't feel it.  More power to all who like them!!

Hot in the Cains?? No, say it ain't so....
Used to enjoy the mud wrestling.  The spring loaded floor certainly brought a certain bounce to the event!  (I guess that dates me, huh??)

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: February 02, 2010, 07:54:13 pm »

Back to OKC for a minute...please listen carefully all you people who are so much into the idea that Bricktown is the "cat's meow";

Tulsa has NOTHING to be embarrased or ashamed of relative to OKC!!
Never has had!!
Tulsa always billed itself as America's most beautiful city.  And it ain't too far off that now.

Before buying that idea that OKC is so much better, take the time to go spend some time there so you can have a valid comparison.  It's not that OKC is all that bad, it's just that Tulsa is that much better!  (Now if we could just get more people to recover from the Fox Cheney/Rove talk radio coma they are in...)

Well, maybe just a little bit for for Crashship?  But only because Tulsa let itself be unfavorably compared to OKC, and worse yet, bought into the notion.

Well, gotta go and catch the end of American Idol!!

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #32 on: February 02, 2010, 11:15:33 pm »

Back to OKC for a minute...please listen carefully all you people who are so much into the idea that Bricktown is the "cat's meow";

Tulsa has NOTHING to be embarrased or ashamed of relative to OKC!!
Never has had!!
Tulsa always billed itself as America's most beautiful city.  And it ain't too far off that now.

Before buying that idea that OKC is so much better, take the time to go spend some time there so you can have a valid comparison.  It's not that OKC is all that bad, it's just that Tulsa is that much better!  (Now if we could just get more people to recover from the Fox Cheney/Rove talk radio coma they are in...)

Well, maybe just a little bit for for Crashship?  But only because Tulsa let itself be unfavorably compared to OKC, and worse yet, bought into the notion.

Well, gotta go and catch the end of American Idol!!

I agree for the most part, however having been to shows at the Civic Center Music Hall in OKC and the PAC in Tulsa within the past few months I'd have to say I like the Civic Center better.  I was trying to remember the last time it had a renovation because it really needs one.

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2010, 07:10:23 am »

I agree for the most part, however having been to shows at the Civic Center Music Hall in OKC and the PAC in Tulsa within the past few months I'd have to say I like the Civic Center better.  I was trying to remember the last time it had a renovation because it really needs one.

I don't know if we would want to renovate the PAC.  While it may not be "the latest thing" style wise, the facility seems to be in good shape.  It was designed by a famous architect and reflects the era in which it was built.  Could perhaps use some freshening up decor wise "carpet, fabrics, etc." But I would consider leaving the basic design and structure as it was intended.  However,,, when I was there last, waiting for the show to start, I couldnt help but look around and see that with some fairly siple modifications, you could really turn that space into a contemporary showstopper. Would hate to see it go through what the Brady did and end up a mess.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:31:15 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2010, 02:20:09 pm »

I don't know if we would want to renovate the PAC.  While it may not be "the latest thing" style wise, the facility seems to be in good shape.  It was designed by a famous architect and reflects the era in which it was built.  Could perhaps use some freshening up decor wise "carpet, fabrics, etc." But I would considering leaving the basic design and structure itself as it was intended.  However,,, when I was there last, waiting for the show to start, I couldnt help but look around and see that with some fairly siple modifications, you could really turn that space into a contemporary showstopper. Would hate to see it go through what the Brady did and end up a mess.

I agree a major overhaul isn't needed but a renovation would be nice to give the PAC a more contemporary look.  The building is already a great piece of modern architecture.  Although I do think it would be neat to see the circulation in the lobby/atrium improved and maybe opened up more with more glass along 3rd street.  There is a great skyline view from there that you could see if the curtain wall went all the way up the south facade where the main entrance to the 3 seating levels of the Chapman Music Hall are located.  If you have been to the Civic Center in OKC you can see they did an amazing job and it's a first-class facility.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 02:23:47 pm by SXSW » Logged

TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2010, 02:35:41 pm »

I agree a major overhaul isn't needed but a renovation would be nice to give the PAC a more contemporary look.  The building is already a great piece of modern architecture.  Although I do think it would be neat to see the circulation in the lobby/atrium improved and maybe opened up more with more glass along 3rd street.  There is a great skyline view from there that you could see if the curtain wall went all the way up the south facade where the main entrance to the 3 seating levels of the Chapman Music Hall are located.  If you have been to the Civic Center in OKC you can see they did an amazing job and it's a first-class facility.

Now the windo wall is a neat idea I hadnt thought of.  Besides creating a great view from the inside, could make the building grander and much more lively looking from the outside.

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2010, 06:37:26 pm »

Broken Arrow has a new PAC that looks pretty good from outside.  Haven't had a chance to go in yet.

Will try to check out OKC Civic center next week.  Looks good from outside.  OKC baseball stadium is good.  Got to watch some games from the boxes up at the top.

zstyles
Philanthropist

« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2010, 02:10:19 pm »

Went to Trula while attending an event in the Mayo Ballrooms, stopped in and had a Bacon Cheeseburger and have to say...VERY good burger, the chef brought it out himself to the table and was very nice.  All was very fresh...
hoodlum
« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2010, 10:59:45 pm »

colin...I think you know this, but the chef at Trula is a neighbor of yours around the corner. He is from British Columbia I believe.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2011, 02:15:07 pm »

Conan wrote in another thread:

I never hear anything about Trula's in the Mayo anymore.  Anyone still go there?

I had a pork belly dish that really kind of put me off there.  I had no idea it would be a slab of fat.  I figured it was rendered down a good deal.  Aside from being somewhat disgusted, I found it off-putting that the new chef assumed that Oklahomans who would eat at a more upscale place would eat like hillbillies.

I went there NYE with the Mrs.

I'm afraid it has gone downhill and I don't believe I'll be back unless it's someone else's idea.

That is very disappointing to say.
DTowner
City Father

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2011, 04:43:40 pm »

I heard the chef returned to D.C., not sure if he's been replaced. 
dbacks fan
« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2011, 05:11:41 pm »

Conan wrote in another thread:

I went there NYE with the Mrs.

I'm afraid it has gone downhill and I don't believe I'll be back unless it's someone else's idea.

That is very disappointing to say.

Wow! That was quick. Did it make six months before the wheels fell off?
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2011, 10:52:20 pm »

Wow! That was quick. Did it make six months before the wheels fell off?

For the cost?  There's just too many other places to go in town.

Don't get me wrong, I love that it exists.
BKDotCom
City Father

« Reply #43 on: January 23, 2011, 06:17:28 pm »

There was always a rumor that Elliot Nelson was going to have a steak joint in the Trula spot...

Ate at the Brady Tavern last weekend for dinner and was very impressed.
The Mayo blew it.
Maybe they could still entice Elliot to overhaul/replace Trula
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org