A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:51:13 am
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Trula, in the Mayo Hotel  (Read 33137 times)
joiei
City Father

« on: October 30, 2009, 01:37:49 pm »

Stopped in for drinks and dinner at Trula the other night.   It was a slow night downtown so we had no problem getting a table.   The scallops over the risotto with corn was very good.  The NY strip was prefectly cooked.  The Sea Bass was a bit over cooked for my taste.   The service should improve as they get more comfortable with the restaurant.   

If I worked downtown this is a place I would drop by for a  cocktail and a appetizer after work.   

It's hard being a Diamond in a rhinestone world.
carltonplace
Historic Artifact
City Father

« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 03:35:11 pm »

The food is very good, the "mixologist" is a legend in his own mind.
FOTD
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 04:04:03 pm »

The food is very good, the "mixologist" is a legend in his own mind.

Yes. And the enabler used to be at Frydaze....what a step up. He's actually a decent tender.
riverman
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 10:38:02 am »

the manager was bartending when I was there. he did brag about the bartender though. just had scallops app which was good but a little pricey (2 scallops for $15). drinks were fine.
my only complaint is about the enormous tv's at the bar.  Two 36" plus flatscreens at either end of the 15 foot bar (approximate and probably wrong dimensions on both).  Would be much classier without them. Same problem at the Chalkboard.  leave the TV's to the White Owl.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 11:21:58 am »

my only complaint is about the enormous tv's at the bar.  Two 36" plus flatscreens at either end of the 15 foot bar (approximate and probably wrong dimensions on both).  Would be much classier without them. Same problem at the Chalkboard.  leave the TV's to the White Owl.

I understand but Oklahoma + football = large tv's at the bar
OSU
Activist

« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 11:55:50 am »

You have stuck a cord with one of my biggest pet peeve's. I absolutely hate TV's in restaurants, excluding places like Fox and Hound.

vawpeant73
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 08:40:43 pm »

Could it be said that, as for as the police are concerned,  they had it in for the ladies in question
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2009, 12:32:31 am »

Could it be said that, as for as the police are concerned,  they had it in for the ladies in question

got them voices a'talkin to you again huh?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: December 07, 2009, 12:14:04 pm »

I ate at Trula's a few weeks ago. Love the service and the atmosphere, the menu needs some tweaking.  I do expect to pay a little more for atmosphere and more formal service when I go some place like this so I wasn't unhappy with the prices at all.  I thought the wine prices vs. selection was good.

I ordered "pork belly".  I assumed this would be a slow-cooked lean piece of pork with a healthy slant.  Nope, basically a slow-cooked fatty slab of slow-cooked bacon with rock salt for even more of a sodium kick.  I should learn to read menus more literally. Probably a gazillion grams of fat and cholesterol in that, whook!

My dining companion had Halibut which was good, but not outstanding nor memorable.

I was told the chef is from D.C. If he thinks we still like chitlin's and hog jowls as regional fare, he's mistaken.  Hopefully Macy or someone else reads the forum regularly and will take this constructively.

The highlight of the evening, aside from an impromptu tour of the hotel with cannon_fodder was seeing GT Bynum in Trula's with former Mayors LaFortune, Randle, Young, and Crawford.  Quite a bit of inner knowledge of Tulsa governance sitting there.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jtcrissup
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2009, 12:48:18 pm »

Headed down there tonight with the wife and another couple.  Thanks for the heads up on the pork belly...I probably would have ordered that thinking it would be similar to pulled pork.

Will try to post a brief review of our experience.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2009, 02:20:58 pm »

Headed down there tonight with the wife and another couple.  Thanks for the heads up on the pork belly...I probably would have ordered that thinking it would be similar to pulled pork.

Will try to post a brief review of our experience.

Unless you are a big fan of salty, greasy, gellatinous substances, pass on the pork belly.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
jtcrissup
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2009, 02:52:08 pm »

Trula was a very nice experience.  I had the "catch of the day" which was Seared Ahi Tuna over artichoke hearts/veggies topped with calamari and drizzled with a tasty sauce.  The tuna had just enough seasoning/sear on the outside to give it great flavor while the texture of the inside was perfect.  It was presented in "medallions" around the plate and on top of the veggies...I especially liked the "baby calamari" on the very top, which grossed everyone else out when I ate it, but it was very good.  The ladies both had a side salad the the lobster mac/cheese from the small plate menu.  My friend had the Sea Bass and it looked very good, and he said it was also tasty.  I wanted to order the Sea Bass, but was glad I got the tuna as my friend had "plate envy" when they came out side by side.  Their wine list was decent, but they were out of a few things because "delivery is later this week".  I always thinks that is code for "we have a bigger menu than our inventory", but whatever.  The crowd was pretty lively for a Tues night in my opinion, the bar area had several parties hanging out and the restaurant area was probably 40-50% seated...seemed to be a good mix of hotel guests and "townies" like us.  No one had dessert, but the menu had all the KoKoa offerings and sounded good.  Entree meal size was perfect for me, but would be considered "not enough" by the "Cheddar's" crowd standard.  An assortment of bread was brought before the meal, each one I tried was interesting with different tastes/textures.  I enjoyed the experience overall and would recommend it.  All meals above (less alcohol) were in the $19-22/person range.

I would like to stay the night sometime, eat here, and go to a big show at the PAC or BOK.  Very much a "Big City" experience and would rival it with stuff you find in bigger metro areas.  Just need people to get out there and SUPPORT it so it doesn't go by the wayside!!

Cheers
SXSW
City Father

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2010, 07:10:13 pm »

I went Saturday before seeing August: Osage County at the PAC.  Very nice restaurant, pretty small/quaint and more separated from the hotel lobby than I would've liked it to be.  The food was really good minus the Caesar Salad, which was pretty average.  Perfect place to go before a BOK or PAC event.  

About the PAC, when was the last time it was renovated?  I hadn't been in several years and couldn't believe how 'dated' it looked.  Hate to compare us to OKC but their Civic Center Music Hall is much nicer and I used to think the opposite.

FOTD
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2010, 07:31:54 pm »

I went Saturday before seeing August: Osage County at the PAC.  Very nice restaurant, pretty small/quaint and more separated from the hotel lobby than I would've liked it to be.  The food was really good minus the Caesar Salad, which was pretty average.  Perfect place to go before a BOK or PAC event.  

About the PAC, when was the last time it was renovated?  I hadn't been in several years and couldn't believe how 'dated' it looked.  Hate to compare us to OKC but their Civic Center Music Hall is much nicer and I used to think the opposite.

Maps did the Civic in OKC after years of neglect. Still recall sitting there for Yes and Jethro Tull looking around and thinking how abused the place was in 1971.

The City of Tulsa is clueless about maintaining what they own, especially their own house. They can't take care of themselves what would make you think they can take care of us?

Trula's is cool.
heironymouspasparagus
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2010, 07:58:21 pm »

Kind of sad to see people comparing Tulsa to Oklahoma City (Bricktown is the "big deal" there).  I live in both places - and have for several years - and Tulsa still beats out OKC, even with that goofy looking crashed UFO downtown.

Tulsa has been sold a bill of goods about how much OKC is "ahead" of them.  Just ain't so.  The last couple years in particular have been hard on Bricktown.  Maybe their new $200 million basketball team will help, but last time I was there (before Thanksgiving), probably half the shops/restaurants/stores were empty.  (Not unlike Riverwalk in Jenks, by the way.)

Bass Pro Shops is nice, but much smaller than Broken Arrow's. 

Plus, they just don't have the terrain that northeast Oklahoma has.  There is just more interest all around in all ways here, compared to middle Oklahoma.

They do have Pops and the Round Barn on Route 66, but even that loses some of its luster after a half dozen times a year or so.

"So he brandished a gun, never shot anyone or anything right?"  --TeeDub, 17 Feb 2018.

I don’t share my thoughts because I think it will change the minds of people who think differently.  I share my thoughts to show the people who already think like me that they are not alone.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org