A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:08:17 pm
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: TPD Layoff protest in front of the Mayor's house  (Read 12870 times)
sroemerman
Citizen

« on: October 29, 2009, 08:40:00 am »

http://krmg.com/localnews/2009/10/protest-over-tpd-layoffs-in-wo.html

What do ya'll think?  Appropriate or no? 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:41:57 am by sroemerman » Logged
jamesrage
Philanthropist

« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2009, 08:46:21 am »

If wacko moonbats can protest outside the Bush Ranch in Texas then why shouldn't some city employees do the same thing outside the mayor's house.

A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly. But the traitor moves amongst those
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2009, 08:48:09 am »

As long as they don't block the street and create a safety hazard, it's within their rights to 'peacefully assemble'.  I wonder how long the 'peaceful' part will last.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
sroemerman
Citizen

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:39 am »

There is precedent for protest in front of the Mayors house.  Acorn protested Jim Inhofe when he was mayor. Their protest lasted until he threatened to kill them.  Of course they were trespassing and were threatening his wife and children.

I agree with Hoss, that they need to be careful not to break the law...of course I have to wonder...in this case who is going to enforce the law should it be broken?
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 08:54:39 am »

Starts at 11 am and lasts till dark on Friday.  What do you bet she won't be home during those hours?  FWIW, no I don't think it's appropriate to protest outside an elected official's home, unless said home is owned by the taxpayers like the White House or Governor's Mansion.  I agree with their right to protest, I just don't think this is the appropriate venue and unnecessarily can inconvenience the neighbors.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 08:56:18 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Wrinkle
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2009, 09:12:40 am »

Starts at 11 am and lasts till dark on Friday.  What do you bet she won't be home during those hours?  FWIW, no I don't think it's appropriate to protest outside an elected official's home, unless said home is owned by the taxpayers like the White House or Governor's Mansion.  I agree with their right to protest, I just don't think this is the appropriate venue and unnecessarily can inconvenience the neighbors.

I agree 100% with Conan

Take it down to City Hall. But, don't get run over, there's no mall space there.

Besides, as we all know, the location isn't so important so long as the press covers it.

cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2009, 09:46:18 am »

+1 to Conan.

Unless the government official did something unethical, unconscionable, or illegal (embezzlement, contract steering, etc.)  - in which case they have used the officer for personal gain to the exclusion of the public.  At that point, everything about that person is fair game IMHO. 

In this instance - it's politics.  I don't think it is appropriate to force the Mayor to take her work home with her, so to speak.  To the best of my knowledge, while she may have played politics on this issue, her actions aren't beyond what is supposed to normal occur in the office.

That said, I don't have a serious problem with it either.  I find it in poor taste, but so long as they do as they say (non-violent, non-disruptive) - it is their prerogative.   But frankly, I view it as more government workers pissed that the golden goose has attempted to spurn them.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2009, 09:54:11 am »

I agree 100% with Conan

Take it down to City Hall. But, don't get run over, there's no mall space there.

Besides, as we all know, the location isn't so important so long as the press covers it.

Oh, but your city councilors have seen to it that picketing on city property is illegal:

Tulsa ordinances Title 27, Section 1702A.

Isn't that convenient, you can picket anything but the government.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2009, 10:11:05 am »

Oh, but your city councilors have seen to it that picketing on city property is illegal:

So picket across the street from gov't property.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
swake
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2009, 10:16:06 am »

If PETA pickets McDonald's, I guarantee you that they are going to have to have to do it off of McDonald's property
sroemerman
Citizen

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2009, 10:21:25 am »

If PETA pickets McDonald's, I guarantee you that they are going to have to have to do it off of McDonald's property

The right of citizens to petition and protest their government is quite a different matter than the right of PETA to protest on the property of McDonalds. 

We should be able to protest on government property.  I think that ordinance is unfortunate.  I'd like to see this protest on city property right in front of the old city hall.

guido911
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 10:24:15 am »

+1 to Conan.

Unless the government official did something unethical, unconscionable, or illegal (embezzlement, contract steering, etc.)  - in which case they have used the officer for personal gain to the exclusion of the public.  At that point, everything about that person is fair game IMHO. 

In this instance - it's politics.  I don't think it is appropriate to force the Mayor to take her work home with her, so to speak.  To the best of my knowledge, while she may have played politics on this issue, her actions aren't beyond what is supposed to normal occur in the office.

That said, I don't have a serious problem with it either.  I find it in poor taste, but so long as they do as they say (non-violent, non-disruptive) - it is their prerogative.   But frankly, I view it as more government workers pissed that the golden goose has attempted to spurn them.

A wee bit of fence-sitting which I agree with. Still, hard not to dispute what jamesrage wrote regarding Sheehan.

Someone get Hoss a pacifier.
Wilbur
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 10:58:00 am »

So picket across the street from gov't property.

Let me see, across the street from City Hall is more city owned property.  No picketing there either.
FOTD
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 11:27:53 am »

There is precedent for protest in front of the Mayors house.  Acorn protested Jim Inhofe when he was mayor. Their protest lasted until he threatened to kill them.  Of course they were trespassing and were threatening his wife and children.

I agree with Hoss, that they need to be careful not to break the law...of course I have to wonder...in this case who is going to enforce the law should it be broken?

This is most likely a fabrication and not the true story.
waterboy
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2009, 11:37:03 am »

Nah, I remember the story as having happened. Don't remember if it was Acorn, but he made a promise to shoot them if they didn't leave his property. Probably put him in the Senate.

Get over it TPD. What makes you think you should be immune to budget cuts? Protection from crime? Hard to stop snickering if you've ever had the pleasure of dealing with them. Mostly they are there after the crime has been committed. I like them just fine and respect them a ton for their work, but they are always short handed and now underfunded just like everyone else in a recession.

Its no surprise to me that Taylor is unpopular with them. Every mayor has been unpopular with city employees as long as I remember.

Good response Coney.
Pages: [1] 2 3   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org