A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 01:59:22 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Craving a Reuben!  (Read 19111 times)
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #30 on: August 27, 2010, 06:49:21 pm »

While yes the original dressing used on a Reuben is Russian, you must realize that almost all places use 1000 island now and there is very minimal differences between the two. Most restaurants would need to make their dressing homemade if they wanted to use Russian, and I can tell you from many years experience that it makes much more sense to use 1000 than make homemade Russian due to labor and shelf life issues. I've had equally really good Reubens with 1000 and Russian on it. The actual definition of Reuben sandwich lists Russian or 1000 island dressing.

While that may be your opinion, I respectfully must disagree about the minimal difference.  Russian and 1000 Island dressings are WORLDS apart...the Russian dressing simply makes the sandwich.

Your opinion is respected and noted, but I must disagree.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 27, 2010, 09:02:40 pm »

Similar problems exist with defining a Hoagie.  I grew up near Philadelphia, PA.  There are sandwiches called hoagies that aren't bad sandwiches (maybe even subs) but they aren't a Hoagie.  The first thing that is usually wrong is the bread.  A semi-hard crust and somewhat chewy middle are required.  Amoroso (brand) Italian Hoagie rolls are the real thing. (They are available overnight by Fed-X if there are any ex-Philly folks on the forum.  The same roll is used on a Philly Cheese Steak) The meats are available at Siegis and Pettys.  Then add some lettuce, onions, oregano, tomatoes, and olive oil. Some recipies say to mix red wine vinegar with the olive oil but I don't remember that.

Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org