A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 03:17:06 pm
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Holly Corporate Welfare!  (Read 16404 times)
FOTD
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2009, 09:15:01 am »

I didn't say anything about the Holly/Sunoco refinery and enviro upgrades, other than Holly buying them that was going to save Sunoco from paying about $1bln or so in clean-up costs if it ever shut down.  That was the Sinclair refinery down the block.

If you think you hate the refineries now, just wait until the day they are shut down and there's masses of rusting rotted junk sitting on the riverbanks for years while they try and coordinate clean-up efforts and deal with all the red tape of that.  If anyone doubts me, dig back to the refinery closure on Hwy 75 as you are headed south into Okmulgee.  That place rusted forever before they started the clean up and the clean up took forever even after all the equipment was removed.

Wow....you place the need for rust remediation above the welfare of our city and the health of it's citizens? Amazing!
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2009, 10:54:14 am »

Wow....you place the need for rust remediation above the welfare of our city and the health of it's citizens? Amazing!

You know what?  If Sinclair and Sunoco were really two huge cancer petri dishes, EPA would have had their way with them years back and they'd be closed. 

Most of the people who biznitch loudest about hazards and the stink seldom go near them.  I've worked less than 1/2 mile from Sinclair for five years, and I exercize outdoors between or near Sunoco and Sinclair nearly every day.  I can't attribute a single respiratory issue or other health problem to either of these refineries.  I also rarely smell anything distinct coming off either refinery. 

Listen to me know, believe me later.  If either one shuts down, it will be blighted rot on our riverbanks for years while officials have a giant circle jerk trying to sort out where to start cleaning up.  I think people have this idealized picture of there being a wildflower plot on top of an old refinery within a year of it being shut down. There's a lot of environmental impact from closing down a refinery.  Whole lotta stuff you don't want unattended which could leech into ground water or wind up in our river.

Just being a truth-teller, FOTD.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 10:55:53 am by Conan71 » Logged

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2009, 12:30:53 pm »

You know what?  If Sinclair and Sunoco were really two huge cancer petri dishes, EPA would have had their way with them years back and they'd be closed. 

Most of the people who biznitch loudest about hazards and the stink seldom go near them.  I've worked less than 1/2 mile from Sinclair for five years, and I exercize outdoors between or near Sunoco and Sinclair nearly every day.  I can't attribute a single respiratory issue or other health problem to either of these refineries.  I also rarely smell anything distinct coming off either refinery. 

Listen to me know, believe me later.  If either one shuts down, it will be blighted rot on our riverbanks for years while officials have a giant circle jerk trying to sort out where to start cleaning up.  I think people have this idealized picture of there being a wildflower plot on top of an old refinery within a year of it being shut down. There's a lot of environmental impact from closing down a refinery.  Whole lotta stuff you don't want unattended which could leech into ground water or wind up in our river.

Just being a truth-teller, FOTD.

I can't really rail on Sunoco; it put food in my belly for the latter part of childhood (my dad worked there from 1979-1999 as a tool machinist).  He said they were the best company he ever worked for.  He also told me tales of cleaning up the refinery during the early 80s to be EPA compliant.  I think I'll believe my dad over the rhetoric and speculation here.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
shadows
City Father

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2009, 06:38:38 pm »

The Sunco Stock is paying a total dividen yearly equal to the total of the prices I paid for the stock with the exception of the amount of dollars that can be counted on your fingers. 

Today we stand in ecstasy and view that we build today’
Tomorrow we will enter into the plea to have it torn away.
FOTD
« Reply #34 on: October 21, 2009, 07:20:33 am »

And then there's Mike Neal, shill for the national Office of the US Chamber. What a joke...

Firms exit chamber over climate stance
The U.S. Chamber opposes global-warming bills, evoking departures.

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?action=post;topic=13480.30;num_replies=33

"Tulsa Metro Chamber CEO Mike Neal thanked Holly for more than doubling its investment in the city. "

Did they really? Or just abandon our air quality by pulling out the neccesary improvements on the publics dime?

"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" Bob Dylan (Brady Theater Saturday night)
buckeye
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2009, 09:56:05 am »

Better use of public money than I've seen from Warshington, that's for sure.

The anti-business is just astounding.  You know, you can live in a totally renewable, zero-emission yurt out on the prairie if you wanted to.  Enjoy the poverty.
Pages: 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org