A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 15, 2024, 11:58:07 pm
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Adelson's Boycott Of KRMG, Unwise?  (Read 9146 times)
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« on: October 19, 2009, 09:59:57 am »

Joe Kelley and Rick Couri had Dewey Bartlett on again this morning and said they would love to present "fair and balanced" and "equal time" for all candidates but that Tom Adelson has not returned their calls for 22 days now.  I think this is a huge mistake. 

If Tom doesn't want to talk on KRMG, then why don't they have Mark Perkins on to balance Bartlett?  I don't know why the thinking seems to be that we need to vote GOP or Dem and not Ind in the mayoral race.  I've had several friends who were going to support Tom who now say they'd vote for Perkins if they thought he had a shot, instead they will vote for Bartlett. 

Why waste a vote on a candidate you don't think would make the best mayor in the first place?  I don't get that at all.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
Red Arrow
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 11:14:54 am »

Why waste a vote on a candidate you don't think would make the best mayor in the first place?  I don't get that at all.

Same as any 3 (or more) way race.  Try to keep your perception of the worst candidate from winning.  Of course if more people voted for the best candidate instead of just trying to keep the worst from winning, then maybe the best would win.  I don't see any near term solutions in my crystal ball.

Gaspar
T-Town Elder

Connoisseur of fine bacon.

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 11:33:31 am »

I've typically voted Republican for Mayor.  I came to appreciate Kathy Taylor and would have voted for her.  When Adelson announced his run, I read position statements and felt I could better identify with him than Bartlett.  Now I have come to the conclusion that both candidates have waged a miserable campaign.  Adelson's child-like attitude now guarantees that he will not have my vote.

It just seems like the Oil Barron v.s. The Snobby Trust-Fund Kid now.  I guess the Oil Barron will get my vote.

Sad election.

When attacked by a mob of clowns, always go for the juggler.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 11:38:52 am »

Perkins has been on KRMG before. More recently than Adelson I believe.

I have no problem voting for who I think would be the best candidate. If everyone else felt that way, there would be no strategy in "vote this guy so this guy doesn't win"
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 02:26:49 pm »

This favors Adelson for not par taking in debates hosted by hate radio.

KRMG sux.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 02:35:51 pm »

I thought Perkins was going to be on this morning?  I just heard a little quip about what was coming up and how Adelson wasn't going to be on - but I thought they said Perkins was going to be on.  Maybe they said he has been on or will be in the near future?

Anyway, here is a clip from 10/09 of Perkins on KRMG:
http://krmg.com/Player/100435031/

I think snubbing the media with a "if I don't screw up, I win" attitude is a mistake.  I want access to my politicians.  If I don't have access as a candidate, I doubt you will be more forthcoming when you have power.

I'm strongly leaning 3rd party in this one.  
- - - - - - -

Hate radio?  I'll assume you have never listened to the KRMG morning show.  Rush, Hannity, and the other conservative talk are on KRMG in the afternoons - but I don't see how that changes the fact that KRMG has the most local coverage of any radio station (2nd is 89.5 KWGS, NPR).   The morning show covers things pretty well.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 02:36:37 pm »

This favors Adelson for not par taking in debates hosted by hate radio.

KRMG sux.

Here's Tom's problem though, there are people who listen to KRMG who would have and who will vote for him.  He went on the air came off as an aloof pompous donkey and now refuses to return their calls.  It looks bad and has turned off a lot of the GOP faithful who don't grok Dewey who had planned to vote for Tom.  Tom wasn't set up, and I never detected that he was being purposely baited into saying something stupid.

I was an early supporter of Tom's.  I was incredibly bothered by his inarticulate a-holishness and think he should have gone back on the air to try and recover his image.  Instead, he's gone into hiding.  I'm no longer impressed.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 02:53:52 pm »

TA should issue a press release admitting the previous mistake of accepting any invitation from KRMG. Then he should scold them for airing hate entertainers and not giving democrats equal time. He needs to crush their grooves. Radio talk is dead air...listen to the music play....change stations....do not shop with their advertisers.

As far as Perkins, he was probably hung over and pulled a no show.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2009, 03:13:42 pm »

TA should issue a press release admitting the previous mistake of accepting any invitation from KRMG. Then he should scold them for airing hate entertainers and not giving democrats equal time. He needs to crush their grooves. Radio talk is dead air...listen to the music play....change stations....do not shop with their advertisers.

As far as Perkins, he was probably hung over and pulled a no show.

"Hate radio" or not, he made a buffoon of himself.  He came off as overly defensive and boorish when he had no reason to be. 

Tom needs Republicans to win the election, much like Mayor Taylor did.  You gotta play the rooms where your most important fans are, FOTD.  He can't duck out from KRMG and expect to win handily.  A month ago, I was guessing about 8% margin favoring Tom.  I think it's probably a dead heat at this point, and he's got no one to blame but himself for not being able to handle himself in public, apparently.

I concur with CF, KRMG does have the best local coverage of events and people and they seem willing to give everyone an equal shot on their show, I'd say much better than Pat Campbell on the other talk station.  For some of us poor schleps who must navigate rush hour traffic, talk radio is as much a near necessity in the mornings as my coffee.

FOTD
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2009, 04:22:06 pm »

Who says you must pay heed to all these entertainment outlets as a candidate?

Use this as your issue or for rationalization, if you wish.....Hillary and Marvin are to blame if Tom loses. They had to resort to attack and negative ads. Bad move.

CoCo, satellite radio has the best vibe. That local trash is burnt.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 04:24:07 pm by FOTD » Logged
MDepr2007
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2009, 06:17:20 pm »

Mark was on KRMG this morning.
Don't forget that Dewey didn't go on air and answer questions for many months.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:32:43 am »

Who says you must pay heed to all these entertainment outlets as a candidate?

Use this as your issue or for rationalization, if you wish.....Hillary and Marvin are to blame if Tom loses. They had to resort to attack and negative ads. Bad move.

CoCo, satellite radio has the best vibe. That local trash is burnt.

KRMG has been the radio leader in election coverage for as many years as I can think back.  They host candidate forums and cover all the other forums sponsored by various organizations.  You cannot run as a serious candidate in this town without being visible on KRMG.  Unfortunately, I think Tom has gotten some bad advice on avoiding KRMG as his handlers seem to think even the morning show is too conservatively-oriented.  That seemed to be Tom's attitude last time I heard him on the show.  He had a pre-concieved idea that Joe Kelley was going to do a "conservative hit job" on him and he was defensive from the first word.

Tom also took bad advice in responding to negative ads with negative ads.  He should have stuck to Tulsa-specific issues and highlighted his personal, professional, and legislative accomplishments.  It's also starting to get around that he's not as well-versed on local issues or what the city needs without some prompting from his handlers. 

rwarn17588
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 09:15:11 am »

Yes, I agree that snubbing KRMG is a mistake. Yes, the station runs a lot of syndicated conservative blowhards (save for Clark Howard). But KRMG has high ratings and a lot of credibility in the community with its news stories. Its exemplary coverage of the ice storm is a good example.

As for KFAQ, all the candidates can boycott it for all I care. It wasn't a very good station to begin with, and it's gotten worse. It's barely trying to cover local news.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 09:19:25 am »

Adelson was on KRMG this morning, although I missed it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 03:12:34 pm »

Apparently Adelson will be on KRMG in the morning to discuss Dewey's latest smear ads.  Adelson's attorney is sending letters to the media to not run the ads and threatening legal action to Bartlett.  Sheesh, what a total b!tch smack-down.

"Bartlett said his ad is truthful, unlike Adelson’s ad against him involving Great Plains Airline, which accused him of a criminal offense.

“For him (Adelson) to suddenly attempt to act holier-than-now is laughable.” Bartlett said.

Adelson’s attorney Jim Connor sent a two-page letter to media outlets demanding they not run the Bartlett ad, saying it is “not just sleazy and disgusting politics, it is false and defamatory.”

Adelson said Connor will be contacting Bartlett’s campaign as well."

http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/article.aspx?subjectid=262&articleid=20091020_11_0_hrimgs131085

This is disappointing and embarrasing as all hell.  Can we start back over at the primaries and pick different candidates?

No way I can vote for either of these two guys.  I don't think I've ever heard of a candidate sicing his attorney on another candidate.

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org