A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 09:25:09 am
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What is there to do around Tulsa?  (Read 12561 times)
Maddie72188
« on: October 19, 2009, 03:42:53 am »

I lived in Tulsa all my life but we (my fiance and I) want to get out more, both 21, we aren't into the drinking scence that much but have no objection to bars/clubs, we would love to go dancing or something like that (preferably no or low cost). It seems everything in Tulsa is either child (no objection to kids, we just don't have any) or church/religion centered (no objection to this either, we just aren't religious) anyone have any ideas? Also (if at all possible) i'd like to stay away from downtown or brookside (no parking)
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 03:53:13 am by Maddie72188 » Logged
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2009, 08:08:39 am »

I'm not religious.  I do have a boy but tend to do things with him anyone enjoys.  I also don't mind walking more than 20 feet to find entertainment, hell, much of my entertainment is physical activity anyway.  So if walking from the parking lot in Brookside or from a spot downtown to your destination precludes the entertainment - you will have to make sure to avoid:

The zoo

Aquarium

Museums (Gilcrease, Philbrook:  both have great gardens/grounds too)

Hiking:  Botanical gardens, Red Bud, Oxely, Turkey Mountain

An afternoon at the Garden Center:  Rose Garden, Greenhouse, what ever is going on at the Garden Center, the Linneus Gardens

Biking the riverside loop

Shows at the BOK, Brady, Cains or the PAC

- - -  Those things definately involve more walking than from Brookside or downtown. 

You can, of course, do things that would be considered hobbies non-specific to Tulsa.   I enjoy sailing (sailing club has a learn-to-sail day each year for cheap).  You can go fish for cheap.   I enjoy shooting, you can rent firearms at many ranges.  There are several nice art stores in Tulsa, take up painting. 

There are TONS of athletics in Tulsa.  Tulsa football, basketball, soccer, v-ball, rowing.  ORU basketball or baseball.  The Tallons, the Oilers, the Drillers and a couple other minor league teams.  While you may have to walk a little bit from the parking lot - it's an inexpensive way to get out.

Or check these threads for ideas:

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=14154.0

http://www.tulsanow.org/forum/index.php?topic=13657.0

I'd encourage you to drop your fear of walking a couple blocks, it isn't that big of a deal.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2009, 08:52:35 am »

Also (if at all possible) i'd like to stay away from downtown or brookside (no parking)

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2009, 09:06:39 am »

Downtown parking map by DSJEFFRIES:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dscott28604/2294173881/
Wilbur
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2009, 03:08:41 pm »

Let me see...

No drinking, no children, no church, nothing downtown, nothing on Brookside and no parking issues.

Uhmmm.... you could stay home and watch tv!
Maddie72188
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2009, 05:16:21 pm »

Typical, I ask a honest question and get nothing but snootiness, like I said (if people actually read what I was saying) I don't MIND things church or child centered or in bars/around people drinking, I just didn't know of any activities that weren't. But instead of being nice and helpful, people just get sarcastic. As for parking, it's specifically the lack of no cost OR secured parking in downtown, I’m not parking my car somewhere and paying especially if it has no security (I mean what are you paying for then, besides them being able to rent the parking lot, which would not be a issue if there was better parking) and having my car broken into because i had to park it four blocks away (or getting mugged). In Brookside, you can only park on the street, in someone's driveway or in a business parking lot and possibly get towed or fined. Think about it. Of course now there is going to be those people that say "I go to Brookside all the time and do that and don't get fined/towed" that good for you but YOU do not pay my tickets.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 05:32:48 pm by Maddie72188 » Logged
Hoss
I'm a Daft Punk
T-Town Elder

I might be moving to Anguilla soon...

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2009, 06:52:07 pm »

Typical, I ask a honest question and get nothing but snootiness, like I said (if people actually read what I was saying) I don't MIND things church or child centered or in bars/around people drinking, I just didn't know of any activities that weren't. But instead of being nice and helpful, people just get sarcastic. As for parking, it's specifically the lack of no cost OR secured parking in downtown, I’m not parking my car somewhere and paying especially if it has no security (I mean what are you paying for then, besides them being able to rent the parking lot, which would not be a issue if there was better parking) and having my car broken into because i had to park it four blocks away (or getting mugged). In Brookside, you can only park on the street, in someone's driveway or in a business parking lot and possibly get towed or fined. Think about it. Of course now there is going to be those people that say "I go to Brookside all the time and do that and don't get fined/towed" that good for you but YOU do not pay my tickets.

A little cheese with that whine?

Hmm..I only see one post that might even be construed as 'snooty'.  CF tried to help.  With that response, I doubt he'll try again in your case.

My advice?  Pick up a phone or do some Googling.  And no, that's not being snooty.  Teh interwehbs is amazeing!

Buh-bye.

Libertarianism is a system of beliefs for people who think adolescence is the epitome of human achievement.

Global warming isn't real because it was cold today.  Also great news: world famine is over because I just ate - Stephen Colbert.

Somebody find Guido an ambulance to chase...
TheArtist
T-Town Elder

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2009, 07:32:31 pm »

Has there been a rash of car break-ins and muggings downtown or something?  I havent had, nor has anyone I have known had either happen downtown.  Perhaps it does happen, but frankly I am more afraid of either happening at the local mall than in quiet downtown lol. As for parking,,, here is a little secret for events at the BOK, or PAC for that matter, Park along Main Street or Boston Ave. for free, and at night especially, enjoy a beautiful, quiet, short little walk.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2009, 07:35:09 pm by TheArtist » Logged

"When you only have two pennies left in the world, buy a loaf of bread with one, and a lily with the other."-Chinese proverb. "Arts a staple. Like bread or wine or a warm coat in winter. Those who think it is a luxury have only a fragment of a mind. Mans spirit grows hungry for art in the same way h
Maddie72188
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2009, 01:43:39 am »

Has there been a rash of car break-ins and muggings downtown or something?  I havent had, nor has anyone I have known had either happen downtown.  Perhaps it does happen, but frankly I am more afraid of either happening at the local mall than in quiet downtown lol. As for parking,,, here is a little secret for events at the BOK, or PAC for that matter, Park along Main Street or Boston Ave. for free, and at night especially, enjoy a beautiful, quiet, short little walk.

Thank you for offering some (actually) helpful advice, I didn't learn that you could park along the side (after hours) until after 6:30 this evening, but at least you offered some helpful advice. I like going to the PAC, haven't been to the BOK yet (partly because lack of parking). Thanks for a helpful hint.
Townsend
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2009, 06:50:12 am »

Thank you for offering some (actually) helpful advice, I didn't learn that you could park along the side (after hours) until after 6:30 this evening, but at least you offered some helpful advice. I like going to the PAC, haven't been to the BOK yet (partly because lack of parking). Thanks for a helpful hint.

How far are you willing to walk?

Long walks are subjective.  Is a couple of blocks far?  A mile?  Does it need to be front door only?  Do you have special needs?

There's an enormous amount of parking all over downtown, Cherry street, and Brookside.  I've never had to walk more than 2 blocks to any destination in any of those areas unless I've chosen to.

sgrizzle
Kung Fu Treachery
T-Town Elder

Inconceivable!

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2009, 06:59:10 am »

All parking on the street downtown is free after 5 and on weekends, which is anytime you would be coming down for entertainment.

I, like you, don't like paying for surface lot parking. The garages are very nice and convenient to places like the PAC and BOK Center and I know of no crime issues in thsoe.

As far as secure. I have worked downtown for about 12 years now. During that time I have had things stolen out of vehicles 4 times and a vehicle vandlized once. All of those events happened while my vehicle was at home, in South Tulsa.

There are free lots to use in brookside behind many of the establishments, although labeling could be better.

Don't come on a forum saying "there's no parking downtown" when there are thousands of spaces and at least half of those meet your criteria of free or safe. That's begging for snide responses.

Another parking map with spot counts:
http://www.tulsaconvention.com/images/data/attachments/0000/0022/TCC_Parking-Map.JPG
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2009, 08:02:08 am »

I frequent Brookside, Cherry Street, and Downtown more than other areas of town when it comes to dining and entertainment.  I've never had an issue with a vehicle at any of those places.  Never broken into, never a ticket.  Parking is a little trickier on Cherry St. but, on the odd occasion that there's not an open spot at your destination on Cherry St. so long as you park legally on one of the side streets there are no issues.  Parking zones and restrictions are clearly marked around Cherry St. and Brookside.

There never seems to be a shortage of parking for Brookside behind Cafe Ole', across Peoria to the west of there or the big lots behind ITR/Leon's/The Brook/BBD's.  Part of the fun of Brookside for me is the walkability between 33rd & 36th with lots to do on either side of the street.

I go either to the Blue Dome Downtown or up on north Main between Brady & The Cain's.  You'd think with being in close proximity to the jail and a couple of large homeless shelters there would be problems, never, nada, zilch.  I've parked along the curb there for a long time and never have a problem.  I use the surface lot just east of Joe Momma's or park behind Arnie's when I'm in the Blue Dome.  Never a problem there either.  The only auto theft or break in I've been aware of in the Blue Dome area was some guy from out of town who left his dog in his truck out behind Arnies with the engine running.  Someone smashed the driver's window and drove off.  Duh!

I usually don't stay out much later than 11:30 or midnight as that seems to be when the problems do start anywhere alcohol is served or where there's a concentration of places that do.

There's plenty to do around town.  I think you got some snark because most people don't have the same paradigm that you seemed to have in your initial post.  You also have to understand that was your first post, early in the morning, and some people might have been skeptical as to whether or not your query was genuine or if you were going to post back with spam.

Get out and enjoy the city and break down some of your paradigms.  There's lots to do around town and it really is a very safe city to go out have a good time, and keep your eye on this forum for things happening around town. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2009, 08:55:51 am »

The reason my post was somewhat snide was that your initial post made snide assumptions.  You assume that there is no parking in Brookside when I have never had to walk more than 2 blocks (and usually not that) to find a place to park.  Parking at Brookside on Halloween or new years might be an issue, but on a normal evening it isn't a big deal.  And I've never heard of an irrational ticket problem in Brookside (park according to the signs and you'll be fine).

You assumed there is no parking downtown when there is TONS of parking ALL OVER downtown.  If anything, there is too much parking downtown that destroys the street scape.  I trust you have traveled somewhat - the parking downtown Tulsa (or Brookside) dwarfs the parking near the Power and Light District in KC, Beale Street in Memphis, or even Bricktown in OKC.  Lets not even talk about parking near "big time" venues or districts (Norman on game day, Wrigley field, Times Square, anywhere in San Francisco) which illustrate real parking problems. 

You might have to drive around the block downtown, but you can find somewhere to park without a problem.  When Wicked, American Idol, and Dfest were going on you could STILL find parking downtown.   Complaining about not being able to find parking downtown is expressing sheer ignorance.  And if you don' like to pay for it, walk a bit further and park on the streets for free.  I try to avoid patronizing surface parking lots myself out of principle (there was probably a gorgeous building there are one time).   Additionally, I you care to pay extra you can find secured parking garages (e.g., Petroleum club has a valet only ramp).

So you move on to list fears about vehicle security and crime.  Statistically speaking, there is LESS crime downtown than any other district in the city.  I've worked downtown for years and never had a problem.  I've walked all over downtown at all times of the day (night/morning) and never been threatened or harmed.  I've parked on the streets, in company surface lots, and in parking ramps . . . and never had a problem.  I mean very literally no problems at all in 7 years.    I've even left my car over night downtown several times and returned to find it as I left it.  (my wife works at Woodland Hills, we have had issues with her car)

I understand you are afraid of what you don't understand, and yes, something COULD happen.  But home invasions happen too.  Vehicles are broken into in front of their owners homes all the time.  Anything can happen.  But that's a snide excuse to avoid an entire area of town when the statistics say your neighborhood is probably more dangerous.

So listen, I'm not trying to be a jerk.  I'm trying to get you to realize that your impressions are wrong.  You are missing out on a lot of what there is to do because of irrational fears.  Park in the neighborhoods and catch a TU game, go downtown for the upcoming Halloween party or to catch Rocky Horror,  make sure to get over to Oktoberfest.   There are many things in the next 2 weeks to do around Tulsa . . . and they will all have their own parking issues to deal with.

And hey, if all else fails find the shuttle, learn the bus schedule, or take a cab.  Sitting at home bored wishing you could get out more is ridiculous if the only reason is to avoid parking issues.  If you still feel that way, Gilcrease, Philbrook, the Zoo, the Aquarium, Rose Garden and several other things listed don't involve parking problems.   The things you are worried about are non-issues, just get out there and find out!

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2009, 03:48:21 pm »

Just in case anyone was confused about the lack of parking downtown, here's one:

http://www.urbantulsa.com/tulsaparking.pdf

Careful: do not open if visualizing an absurd amount of surface parking makes you ill.

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
PepePeru
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2009, 08:39:20 am »

"I lived in Tulsa all my life..."

Wait, what?  Have you moved?
Are you posting from beyond the grave?
Oh, I see.  You're referring to yourself in past tense.
It's okay though,  I can't be too hard on you, I'd refer to myself in the past tense too, if I were living in a constant state of fear.

How's that treating you at the ripe old age of 21?   
No wonder you can't find anything to do.

I know, I know, I know, It's a big scary world out there, but sometimes you gotta bite the bullet and risk your car. 

Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org