A grassroots organization focused on the intelligent and sustainable development, preservation and revitalization of Tulsa.

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 07:22:32 am
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: What happened to NFL parity?  (Read 5702 times)
RecycleMichael
truth teller
T-Town Elder

« on: October 12, 2009, 01:30:32 pm »

Both Missouri teams, the St. Louis Rams and the Kansas City Chiefs are winless in five games this season. The Rams have lost fifteen in a row. The Chiefs have lost 30 of their last 36 games. The Rams have been outscored 146 to 34 this season.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers and the Tennessee Titans are also 0 and five in 2009. The Detroit Lions have one win in their last 21 games. The Oakland Raiders only have one win and it was against Kansas City. The only reason that the Cleveland Browns have a victory is that another one-win team (the Buffalo Bills) fumbled a punt inside their own 20 yard line with a minute to play. Cleveland won the game 6 to 3 and their quarterback was 2 for 17 passing.

What happened?

Why do so many teams stink so bad?

Power is nothing till you use it.
Conan71
Recovering Republican
T-Town Elder

« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2009, 02:12:48 pm »

My guess is too many high-paid celebrities and not enough team players working together. 

"It has been said that politics is the second oldest profession. I have learned that it bears a striking resemblance to the first” -Ronald Reagan
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2009, 02:14:28 pm »

You forgot to mention that Jacksonville lost zero to forty-one. Parity indeed.

Perhaps the cause is the free-agency boom?  Free agents generally play for money, clearly.  But if all things are equal wouldn't you rather play for a winning team?  Even for a small salary cut the bonuses associated with being on a playoff team and the pleasure of the work environment might offset it.

Another idea:  not enough long-term planning.  If teams sell out to WIN WIN WIN as soon as possible it will lead to boom and bust cycles.  Inevitably destroying parity along the way.

Another thought would have to do with money.  But I'd have to look into it further to make any such claim (correlation between , market size and/or revenue and team success).

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Wilbur
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »

Quarterbacks and owners.  You've got to have both.

Detroit has neither.
FOTD
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2009, 08:16:36 pm »

Just wait to see if Limpbowell gets ownership in the Rams....they'll really suck without black players.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 11:14:39 am »

Just wait to see if Limpbowell gets ownership in the Rams....they'll really suck without black players.

Though shalt not have an opinion if it involves race!

The man is entitled to his opinion.  But it certainly was not PC to express it on the air!  Odds are if one of your friends said "XYZ" is overrated because he's black . . . it might elicit a groan but not rage.    It would seem doubtful that the suggestion that the media wants a black QB to succeed means the speaker hates black people.

It would be like taking a statement that a team would suck without black people to mean that white people are inferior.  I find that racially offensive.  I can't believe you hate all white people blah blah blah blah blah.

Furthermore, money talks.  Most athletes would work for Adolf if he offered the most money.  The politics of the team owner has nothing to do with whether or not an offer is accepted.  Hell, it seems that even an owner's track record of submarining his own team has no effect on were players go (*cough* Oakland *cough*).  They are paid lots of money to get on a big stage and dance for our amusement . . . they don't care who's paying them.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
DolfanBob
City Father

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009, 01:07:13 pm »

I agree.
The days of Dan Marino,John Elway,Jim Kelly,Roger Staubach heck even Troy are gone.
One team players playing for the love of the game and their "Team"
Is a loss for fans big and small.
I dont want a San Fran,Philly,Dallas and now Buffalo T.O. Jersey. Who would ?
I get the whole make as much as the free market will pay till the day you lose it(Talent,Ability)or die.
But really how much is enough. My lifetime has now seen the first Billionaire athlete. Sure to be more and God bless em.
Ticket sales,Merchandise,Product ads,PPV and more.
But sports has lost the whole attraction of competition and winning and losing.
With High School recruiting and the flashy lifestyle. Love of the game and what it meant or stands for is long gone.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:12:14 pm by DolfanBob » Logged

Changing opinions one mistake at a time.
FOTD
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009, 01:58:40 pm »

Though shalt not have an opinion if it involves race!

The man is entitled to his opinion.  But it certainly was not PC to express it on the air!  Odds are if one of your friends said "XYZ" is overrated because he's black . . . it might elicit a groan but not rage.    It would seem doubtful that the suggestion that the media wants a black QB to succeed means the speaker hates black people.

It would be like taking a statement that a team would suck without black people to mean that white people are inferior.  I find that racially offensive.  I can't believe you hate all white people blah blah blah blah blah.

Furthermore, money talks.  Most athletes would work for Adolf if he offered the most money.  The politics of the team owner has nothing to do with whether or not an offer is accepted.  Hell, it seems that even an owner's track record of submarining his own team has no effect on were players go (*cough* Oakland *cough*).  They are paid lots of money to get on a big stage and dance for our amusement . . . they don't care who's paying them.

Crushie, Is it hard for you to understand there are still principled people and people who aren't whores? What a huge mistake it would be to allow this racist an ownership certificate in the NFL.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eV4eMNpW0oc&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 02:22:37 pm by FOTD » Logged
rwarn17588
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2009, 03:31:44 pm »

I think there *is* parity in the NFL. I think people have short memories.

You can have a horrible team one season, then become a playoff team the next year if you make good off-season movies. The Dolphins, which were 1-15 two seasons ago, were a classic example. The Rams a decade ago were horrible until they acquired Marshall Faulk and a certain guy named Kurt Warner took over as QB. The Cardinals were also-rans for years until they suddenly made the Super Bowl last year. Those are classic examples why hope springs eternal in the NFL.

As for Limbaugh, his derision against Donovan McNabb looks dumber and dumber as time passes. McNabb has a career QB rating that's higher than Brett Favre's. McNabb is one of the least-intercepted quarterbacks in NFL history -- despite the Eagles having a dearth of quality receivers for years, save for a head case named Terrell Owens.

Years of stupid and inflammatory comments do have consequences -- especially when you're a non-player wanting to get involved in a controversy-averse NFL. The league doesn't want another Marge Schott on its hands.
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009, 12:27:18 pm »

Crushie, Is it hard for you to understand there are still principled people and people who aren't whores? What a huge mistake it would be to allow this racist an ownership certificate in the NFL.

1) Who says he's a racist?  "I think Donovan McNabb is over rated because the media wants to see a black quarterback succeed."    That statement isn't inherently racist.  It's not PC, but not racist. It does not signify an underlying feeling that other races are inferior.

"I think Justice Sotomayor received special consideration for her appointment because she is Hispanic."   

"I think President Barrack Obama received special international attention because of his racial and ethnic background."

Why would those statement be racist?  Something that addresses race isn't necessarily racist.  For the record, many other people were arguing that McNabb was overrated and simply did not explain why he consistently received so much attention.  All Rush did was add his 2 cents on why he was overrated.

That's not to say Rush isn't a racist. I don't know the man and don't listen to his program.  I'm merely defending this singular comment.

2) So what if he is racist?

If he was a racist, that's his right. He can feel his race is superior to others if he so chooses.  I think that idea is insulting, backwards, and flat out wrong (unless you are talking about a gene specific trait:  pale skin is bad on the equator visa vi skin cancer, certain Inuits have no diabetes, Danes are taller than other Europeans, etc.).   But racists are entitled to their opinions.

Why would that preclude him from owning a minority steak in an NFL franchise?  I understand consumer sentiment to the contrary, player resentment, and the like.  I don't think it would be worth it.  But it shouldn't officially preclude someone from a business venture (it should just doom it to fail:)

The investors wisely dropped Rush as an unneeded distraction yesterday.

3)
Is it hard for you to understand there are still principled people and people who aren't whores?

I understand that very well.  But show me an NFL player who made a trade decision based on some altruistic principle over hard cash (desire to win a championship or stay in a particular city isn't altruistic).   NFL prospects have an average shelf life of 3.5 years.   In those 3.5 years he will earn average of just over $2,000,000 for his entire career  - and not by acting on principle. 

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
FOTD
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2009, 03:20:03 pm »

3)
I understand that very well.  But show me an NFL player who made a trade decision based on some altruistic principle over hard cash (desire to win a championship or stay in a particular city isn't altruistic).   NFL prospects have an average shelf life of 3.5 years.   In those 3.5 years he will earn average of just over $2,000,000 for his entire career  - and not by acting on principle. 

The Viking QB?

* Bret.jpg (26.5 KB - downloaded 302 times.)
cannon_fodder
All around good guy.
T-Town Elder

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2009, 03:42:25 pm »

You're arguing Bret Favre came out of retirement, again, because of integrity? 

I don't think I even need to rebut.

- - - - - - - - -
I crush grooves.
Encoste09
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2009, 01:39:13 am »

I hope Brock goes to the NFL and is a success.  He needs to rehabilitate the repuation of Montana QBs in the NFL.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Hosted by TulsaConnect and Powered by SMF 1.1.21 | SMF © 2015, Simple Machines

Mission

"TulsaNow's Mission is to help Tulsa become the most vibrant, diverse, sustainable and prosperous city of our size. We achieve this by focusing on the development of Tulsa's distinctive identity and economic growth around a dynamic, urban core, complemented by a constellation of livable, thriving communities."
more...

Contact

2210 S Main St.
Tulsa, OK 74114
(918) 409-2669
info@tulsanow.org